DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Change default messsaging account

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Change default messsaging account

I need a little assistance. Both my husband and I are new to the droid; we are Storm converts. We previously shared a gmail account just for calendar purposes. When our droids were setup, we gave the Verizon rep the same email addresses and figured we could go in later and add an account once we created new ones and set them as default. At this time, any SMS' that I send to anyone can be seen by my husband on his phone. I have read in some places that the entire phone needs to be reset and everything lost except pictures. Can someone provide some assistance? Thanking you in advance.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for:

Go to Settings.
    Click on Accounts & Sync
    Select the default google accout.

From there you can select (or unselect) Contacts, Gmail, Calendar, and Picasa Web Albums. Unselecting those items will stop them from syncing to your phone. You can also remove that account.

The Accounts & Sync screen will also allow you to add another google account.

Hope that helps...
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr MAXX
    You have reset your phone back to factory. After doing that when you restart you will be asked to setup a new google account.If you already set up a new account you just enter it. Hope this helps.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

Question Won't let me remove account

I am unable to remove the account because it keeps telling me that "This account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all your personal data). You do that in the Settings application, under Privacy."

I have another gmail account, is there any way that I can change the default account to the other new gmail account?

Also, if I reset factory settings, do I lose every app that I have downloaded from the market?

Thanks for your help.
  5. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mblake00 View Post
    I am unable to remove the account because it keeps telling me that "This account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all your personal data). You do that in the Settings application, under Privacy."

I have another gmail account, is there any way that I can change the default account to the other new gmail account?

Also, if I reset factory settings, do I lose every app that I have downloaded from the market?

Thanks for your help.
    I think so because the only way the markets synced to your phone is with the gmail account
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Gallery - Picasa leads me to this same problem

I'm scheduled to do a presentation on Droid (and other technologies) at our local senior citizens center. Wanted to show how to upload photos to Picasa. When I tried to share with Picasa I was prompted to add an account. It wouldn't accept my gApps credentials saying "there is already a xxx account on this phone. gMail app is setup with this account and that was really the account I wanted to use. I couldn't find a way around this hurdle, so I just figured I'd use my personal gmail account to demonstrate uploading pictures to Picasa. I was shocked to find that doing so meant my personal gMail account was added to gMail as well. This is a company phone, so I do not want my personal account on the phone. Figured I could just go in and remove the account and I get the message "You account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all of your personal data)...."

I've had a love affair with my Droid ever since I got it, but this stumbling block is just awful. Fortunately I have LookOut installed and a backup is in place so I'll test the restore functionality of LookOut.

As much as I like my Droid, I think I'll cover the iPhone at the senior citizens center instead. It's just little more polished for the neophyte consumer.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Hey guys this is exactly why i just joined i been tryn on another forum to get help but no luck. I bought my i believe witts its android os full hd the whole 9. My prob is he set up a gmail and downloaded apps no biggie but he wont give me the password now i cant download go into market nothing. I unsynced it nutn tried clearing everything gmail and google nutn when i factory reset it nutn it just resets and comes back up the same. It dont reset the email and it does not do anything. So anyy help would really be appreciated. Thanx
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    Please post your question in one place at a time. Thank you:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tec...droid-pad.html

Links