DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: New member here, question about downloading update

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorolla droid

New member here, question about downloading update

Hi everyone. My name is Jeff, I'm a new member here. I've been browsing around and see that some people have managed to download the 2.1 update for the motorolla droid before it comes out. Can anyone help me in doing this please? Much appreciated

3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Welcome to the forums, Jeff!

They did this by rooting their phone, which voids the phone's warranty and then replacing the current operating system with the updated one. There are different flavors of that updated rom with various themes and pre-installed software as well as with various kernels installed to allow you to run the CPU at the default clockspeed or to overclock and underclock it. You can read through the links in my signature as well as visit the rom section of the forums here to learn more about this process.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorolla droid
    Thanks alot. I'm sure I can figure this out if I take the time. Just 2 other questions, is it ok to update this coming from the 2.0.1 version, and is this the same thing that will be coming out/ worth doing this now ahead of time?
  5. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    The OTA probably won't be exactly like the rooted; in fact many rooted say they don't need the OTA. I plan to wait until April before I root.
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff122581 View Post
    Thanks alot. I'm sure I can figure this out if I take the time. Just 2 other questions, is it ok to update this coming from the 2.0.1 version, and is this the same thing that will be coming out/ worth doing this now ahead of time?
    Each rom has its own set of instructions. I followed the steps in the 2nd link in my sig and came from 2.01 just fine with zero issues.

If you root and apply a rom it will not be the exact same thing as the update. You'll have options to run your cpu faster, will have some different colored icons and trays (themes) and will most likely have some additional apps like the helixlauncher (which you can get now for 2.01 stock phones in the market) and wifi-tethering (which won't run on stock phones and can't be gotten from the market).

You get to decide if it is worth it or not. Some think it is, and have rooted their phones. Many think it isn't and are waiting. I've rooted and haven't gone back so I don't have an unbiased opinion
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorolla droid
    Thanks Chris. Any suggestions as to what speed I should have it going at?
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorolla droid
    Do these installs also include the speak to text feature?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff122581 View Post
    Each rom has its own set of instructions. I followed the steps in the 2nd link in my sig and came from 2.01 just fine with zero issues.

If you root and apply a rom it will not be the exact same thing as the update. You'll have options to run your cpu faster, will have some different colored icons and trays (themes) and will most likely have some additional apps like the helixlauncher (which you can get now for 2.01 stock phones in the market) and wifi-tethering (which won't run on stock phones and can't be gotten from the market).

You get to decide if it is worth it or not. Some think it is, and have rooted their phones. Many think it isn't and are waiting. I've rooted and haven't gone back so I don't have an unbiased opinion
    Actually there is a Tethering app on the market available for non rooters. Its called EasyTether but i havent installed it and im probably not going to so use at your own risk!

Links