DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing to buy a new Droid.

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Vortex

Preparing to buy a new Droid.

I hate my droid, it has simply slowed down and many apps don't work or take to much time it is not worth the trouble. At this point the phone is only good for email, browsing, and barely a phone call. It is a vortex and was the cheapest one in the store and I understand why.

With the exception of apps, what will I loose by getting a new phone? Gmail and backup assistant should cover my contacts, and my photos should be on the memory card.

Any other options besides getting a new phone?

My contract is not up until January. I have been scared of buying a new phone anywhere other than through verizon. But does anyone know of reputable places to get a new one? Any recommendations as to which one to buy?
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    What are some things your phone MUST do, and what are some things you want it to do?

Googorola MAXX
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by raidencmc
    I hate my droid, it has simply slowed down and many apps don't work or take to much time it is not worth the trouble. At this point the phone is only good for email, browsing, and barely a phone call. It is a vortex and was the cheapest one in the store and I understand why.

With the exception of apps, what will I loose by getting a new phone? Gmail and backup assistant should cover my contacts, and my photos should be on the memory card.

Any other options besides getting a new phone?

My contract is not up until January. I have been scared of buying a new phone anywhere other than through verizon. But does anyone know of reputable places to get a new one? Any recommendations as to which one to buy?
    Welcome to the forums raidencmc! Aah yeah, I had a vortex for a very short while (I let my son try out my charge to see how he liked android). It definitely was not made to do what the newer androids can do now.

You can back up data, apps, settings, texts etc using MyBackup and SMS backup & Restore. Also play store will have a list of the apps that you ever installed under "My apps" then "All."

You may be able to get a little more life out of your vortex by doing a factory data reset... but backup everything before you do.

If you have unlimited data, you will want to buy your next phone full retail so you don't lose your unlimited. Some places to shop are swappa & android central (our sister site).

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Vortex
    I guess the problem is I am not sure. For the past 6 months it didn't have to do anything. Realistically I want to go to the app store and not have to worry about size of the app or weather or not I can get it or if it will slow things down. I have 2 gmail accounts that I need access to, the weather, facebook a bit.

I would like to use the verizon tv apps to control the tv, I am not an intense gamer but would like to play more. Send, receive, author edit excel and word documents. Maybe accept CC payments. I could think of a million things. I am self employed so I could imagine the possibilities.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    i recommend the Razr mazz because of the excellent battery life. I'm averaging 2 and half to 3 days on it. I currently am using the Live Extra for the Olympics.
    Lg 7000 ->LG Dare ->OG Moto Droid ->Moto Dx->Moto Droid Razr Maxx

Your life could depend on this. Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink! Good luck.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Vortex
    So I guess I have to tough it out. How do I speed this one up?
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Newer phones are really so much faster, larger memory, and capable of doing so much more!
    You can pretty much go on the play store and not even worry about how big the apps are anymore! Lots of storage space!
    Make sure it has "GB" of storage not "MB" lol
    My first smartphone was a Sanyo Zio, it was like 300mb of internal storage! Cute little phone , i liked it but it was so slow and "had to watch how big the apps were too! "
    If price is an issue, like "Tis" said, you can get some deals out there!
    I have the Droid Bionic, 16 GB internal and 32 GB external capable storage. Some are even using 64 GB SD cards. I absolutely love this phone!!! Highly Recommended!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
    Last edited by electricman58; 08-04-2012 at 12:51 PM.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Vortex
    When you say go retail you mean that I will lose my unlimited data plan when I re sign for 2 years . Because I would have to have a new plan.
  9. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by raidencmc
    When you say go retail you mean that I will lose my unlimited data plan when I re sign for 2 years . Because I would have to have a new plan.
    You won't need a new plan because you already have one, you will be just switching phones on your existing plan. If you renew your contract then you will have to choose a tiered plan... which only matters if you have unlimited now (because you would lose your unlimited).

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Vortex
    I get what you are saying. I looked at my plan and it is unlimited. The most data I used was a bit shy of 800 mb and the smallest plan was 2 gb. So I think that I would never get near it but understand the value of keeping the unlimited plan. Thanks guys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links