DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OTA update verizon droid... 2.1?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by silvere2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRacer48 View Post
    Perhaps enough refunds on the Moto droid would wake them up? I'm already feeling like I bought B grade hardware w/ the nexus one having such better specs.
    Then return your Droid instead of crying about it. I'm happy with mine, and I don't feel slighted in the slightest.
    Fixy
    Agreed. Current OS runs perfect, no bugs to speak of. I might be jonesen for an update if this wasn't the case, but I'd rather wait for all the 2.1 bugs to be worked out.

These"Where's 2.1?"threads are starting to get old.
    Ad astra per alia porci- John Steinbeck.
    No pigs cannot fly, but I am a seventh day porcinist and believe that bacon was brought to us by angels.

Razr, Charge, Thunderbolt, DroidX, Fascinate, OG Droid, GalaxyTab
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Well you can't say consistency from customers isn't the best way to make things happen. You are quite bold to state there are no issues w/ the current OS. If the phone can be overclocked from 800-1ghz and run perhaps they should flash the phone to perhaps do 600-700 under high CPU demand.

The camera delay is just ridiculous to open. The lack of multitouch in typing SUCKS... Pinch and zoom would be cool but w/e. The web and using maps isn't slow persay but truthfully could be smoother scrolling. Inability to transfer contacts via bluetooth. etc.

There are problems. I just simply was curious if theres any reasons aside from physical keyboard to keep the droid over the nexus one.
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    My reason for keeping the Droid is that it works and I'm in a 2 yr contract. Whether a TV, Car, PC or Smartphone it goes without saying that shortly after you buy it a better model gets released. You play the game or not. That being said you don't have to wait for updates. There's an excellent thread that was recently started concerning an app that does the rooting for you that the folks at Sholes have put out. There are 2.1 apps you can install on your phone right now. At least my contract wasn't up 6 months earlier and I ended up with some Android phone stuck on 1.5 instead of this 2.0 device that can run anything the Nexus has right now. I've got pinch and zoom in the gallery. I've got it in my browser. I'll probably root and go for for an 800 OC.

And you can bet whoever buys the new phone being released in 3 months with Android 3.0 will be impatient for 3.1 to come out and fix all their problems

This forum has been way better than any update. Thanks to the mods and droidforums.net for being here.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    The Nexus is a plastic piece of fluff compared to the Droid. Every spec on the Droid is better except for the snapdragon and we have a dedicated GPU also. (that can be overclocked to almost spapdragon speeds).

Perhaps enough refunds on the Moto droid would wake them up? I'm already feeling like I bought B grade hardware w/ the nexus one having such better specs.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    The Nexus is a plastic piece of fluff compared to the Droid. Every spec on the Droid is better except for the snapdragon and we have a dedicated GPU also. (that can be overclocked to almost spapdragon speeds).

OOOOO Very interesting. Is this confirmed that there is no dedicated GPU on the Nexus One? If thats the case the 1ghz cpu is shared for video as well?

I really want to see the battery savings from having a OLED screen instead of LCD due to lack of a backlight.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Go get a Storm2....you'll be back here in a week with another Moto Droid.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post
    My reason for keeping the Droid is that it works and I'm in a 2 yr contract. Whether a TV, Car, PC or Smartphone it goes without saying that shortly after you buy it a better model gets released. You play the game or not. That being said you don't have to wait for updates. There's an excellent thread that was recently started concerning an app that does the rooting for you that the folks at Sholes have put out. There are 2.1 apps you can install on your phone right now. At least my contract wasn't up 6 months earlier and I ended up with some Android phone stuck on 1.5 instead of this 2.0 device that can run anything the Nexus has right now. I've got pinch and zoom in the gallery. I've got it in my browser. I'll probably root and go for for an 800 OC.

And you can bet whoever buys the new phone being released in 3 months with Android 3.0 will be impatient for 3.1 to come out and fix all their problems

This forum has been way better than any update. Thanks to the mods and droidforums.net for being here.

Errr I suppose I could root it but I dont want to mess with warranty crap should the phone get some over the air message and brick the phone mid flash. I honestly just want to sell this thing for what I can when the next good phone comes out. No point in paying for smartphone data charges when your not getting what someone else may have.

Nerd envy I suppose.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    Go get a Storm2....you'll be back here in a week with another Moto Droid.
    Wife has used a few Treos and other windows mobile based phones.
    I Went from an Voyager to Env touch along with Blackberry world edition / Curve/ and Storm at different periods. I used to admin a black berry enterprise server and I know the differences in what smartphones should be able to do.

What pisses me off when when I can do features on my ENV Touch that I can't do on my DROID. I mean seriously.. bluetooth contact transfer isn't even new technology.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    For a long time. The Nexus One has an onboard GPU rather than a dedicated one like we have. That's why many of us are not concerned about the animated wallpaper since our dedicated GPU can handle it without straining the CPU.

It also has far worse sound and people can't see it in sunlight - additionally some of the colors are said to be off. The bottom 4 keys are very hard to press as well.

Motorola built us a great piece of hardware - the Nexus is just another cheap phone. Be happy with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post

OOOOO Very interesting. Is this confirmed that there is no dedicated GPU on the Nexus One? If thats the case the 1ghz cpu is shared for video as well?

I really want to see the battery savings from having a OLED screen instead of LCD due to lack of a backlight.
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member

Errr I suppose I could root it but I dont want to mess with warranty crap should the phone get some over the air message and brick the phone mid flash. I honestly just want to sell this thing for what I can when the next good phone comes out. No point in paying for smartphone data charges when your not getting what someone else may have.

Nerd envy I suppose.
    There's a mod out there, Check the APPS section of the forum that will takde care of the rooting for you for 5 bucks. The step by step instructions are doable too if 5 bucks is outside your budget. Check through the forums. Nobody has bricked a phone yet. Some have been mighty worried but everyone has turned out ok.

You can sell your phone used when the next better phone comes out but I'd think you'd be doing that 3-4 times during your 2 year contract and losing money. I still think there are way more phones (brands/models) not getting updates than those that do. If money is no option then spend 5 bucks and have a faster more responsive phone in less than an hour. If you don't like it there are simple steps to put it back to stock. Well, ok...1.5 hours because its worth spending 30 minutes going through this thread here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...thers-5-a.html
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links