DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3g to 4g droid

1. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    richrcp2
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S 4
    [quote=knotbeerdan;187426][quote=huskur;187400]
    Quote Originally Posted by 640k View Post

I was invited to a VZW demo here in phoenix reguarding the unveiling of LTE (4G) and first of all its not rolling out till the end of 2012 i believe in most areas. They plan to have it completely rolled out the beginning of 2013 or mid 2014. The devices that are out now (at that time in october) are only 3G compatible. When 4G rolls out new devices will have to be bought. Most of the devices that will use 4G are myfi or netbooks sold by VZW. They do not plan on having many if any 4G devices for the first 6 months or so of having 4G. They do already have the technology and i got to see it with my own two eyes. 4G will change everything about mobile computing. BLAZING fast speeds, both download and upload.

Im not saying for sure our droids are or aren't 4G compatible but any 3G device is not compatible with 4G. But 4G devices will be backwards compatible with 3G service.
    Very good info and the timeline seems more reasonable than some of the early info that I have read. I guess vzw is testing 4G in larger markets as we speak but how do they accomplish this without actual devices in the field????
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Incredible
    They do have some devices that are in use in larger metropolitan areas. These devices are in use by VZW and partners of VZW for testing purposes. They have some devices that are already made for it such as MyFy (personal wifi) and we should start seeing these availiable to the masses around the middle of next year
  3. dos
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by huskur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davedroid2323 View Post
    will a 3g phone be able to upgrade to a 4g phone or would I have to buy a new one?
    Once VZW makes 4G available to all a software update to your droid handset will take place allowing for the 4G service to work. As it stands now the droid is the only 4G capable phones that VZW has out. So, no worries
    I now see where rumors get started.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I think it's safe to assume that most of the misinformation being disseminated is by idiot VZ sales staff that will say anything to make a sale.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    By the time LTE rolls out, the Droid will be a dinosaur.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeMat View Post
    yep. that is the truth
    Last edited by Guchi; 02-01-2010 at 08:37 PM.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by huskur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davedroid2323 View Post
    will a 3g phone be able to upgrade to a 4g phone or would I have to buy a new one?
    Once VZW makes 4G available to all a software update to your droid handset will take place allowing for the 4G service to work. As it stands now the droid is the only 4G capable phones that VZW has out. So, no worries
    I don't think you understand what the G stands for...sure it's become the new buzz word and people seem to think its like G-Forces....G simply stands for generation. Verizon is currently on their 3rd generation network. The fourth gen network...ie, 4G as far as I've heard will be WiMAX, and no, Droid will not work on it..it is a totally different radio...not a software update.

If they slipped WiMAX capable radios into the Droids that is news to everyone since it has been dissected and if there was a WiMAX radio on there it would be front page news on every blog!

Sprint brags about having the worlds first 4G network....well that was because they also had the worlds first cell network!! Based on how long they've been around they should be at like 8th Gen, so they are WAY behind and shouldn't be bragging about it!

No matter what technology VZW decides to use for the new network it will more than likely require new hardware. While I would love the droid to just jump on the new system when it gets switched on, more than likely that will be saved for the Droid 2....or 3 depending on how long they actually take!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeMat View Post
    Has it been confirmed they are actually going with LTE?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/ DroidMod ROM
    This is something that they already have test networks up and running.

The supposed speed is somewhere around 25Mbps MAX, but when a few 3rd party companies where doing testing the fastest they could get at one point was 22Mbps.

Its coming to Verizon, its just a matter of when and $$$$ to develop the infrastructure.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    4G for Verizon is LTE, AT&T and T-Mobile too.

Sprint went with WiMax...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links