DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dual-Core or Single Core?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Rogue (SCH-U960)

Question Dual-Core or Single Core?

I wanted a new phone for my birthday. At first I wanted the Sony Xperia Play, but it didnt come out in time. I also see the reviews for the phone, and they dont look so good. So, I am now thinking about either the HTC Thunderbolt, or the HTC Incredible 2. But I realized that they both are single cores, not dual cores. Should I be caring for the amount of cores? I have an iPod Touch 3G, and I like the speed of that device. I'm not sure if it has dual core or single core, but i am fine with that speed. I also want an HTC because of HTC Sense. I like its UI better than Motorolas or Samsungs. And I dont feel like rooting the phone either (yet). So, should I be caring about the Dual Core or is a Single core fine?

Note I am also on Verizon.
    Last edited by hawkm; 04-27-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Stating what network I am on
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    I dont think dual core matters. I believe I read soemthing here where some single cores actually beat out dual cores. At this time dual cores just arent well supported. Its like the PC CPU market. When Quad Cores came out, and for a bit after they came out, maybe a year or two, they offered little to no advantage in gaming computers as games werent able to take advantage of the 2 extra cores in the quad core. This is how dual core cpus in smart phones are now. There not a bad thing at the right price but it will be a little bit before you really see them make an impact.

As for comparing them to the iPod, assuming you have the 4th generation your PCU is under clocked to 800MHz. It doesnt run at the full 1GHz, so both phone should outperform the iPod, plus the CPUs in those phones are newer then that of the iPod further increasing there lead.
    How to SBF your D2G in Windows!
    How to SBF your D2G in Linux!

Retired Devices:Last Used Rom
    Motorola Backflip : Cyanogenmod 7
    Droid 2 Global : AOKP Build 39
    Current Device:Current Roms
    Droid Razr Maxx HD : Fuzion

I do NOT offer help through PM. Sorry!
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Depends on how important future-proofing is to you. If you're a frequent upgrader it's probably less important.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Dual-core is EXTREMELY important. As long as the Android OS supports it (and it does) it could run multiple processes at the same time. While this may not speed up individual apps (like games) it greatly improves overall system performance, especially in an OS that has true multitasking.

I still remember the first time I sat in front of a dual-core pc... the smoothness of Windows was mind-blowing. The same applies to phones.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Or wait for the Droid X2... Not HTC, but from my experience with a lot of different phones, the only way id get rid of my X is for an X2
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Gnex
    ok heres a question thats been on my mind, is a single core 1 ghz phone 'better' than a dual core 800 mhz phone? basically what im asking is a lower rated dual core faster than a higher single?
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by volando View Post
    Dual-core is EXTREMELY important. As long as the Android OS supports it (and it does) it could run multiple processes at the same time. While this may not speed up individual apps (like games) it greatly improves overall system performance, especially in an OS that has true multitasking.
    Very good point there. Something I myself didnt consider and many others dont either I imagine. Of course this assumes the phone has the RAM to back up this principal.

Quote Originally Posted by kinfolk248 View Post
    ok heres a question thats been on my mind, is a single core 1 ghz phone 'better' than a dual core 800 mhz phone? basically what im asking is a lower rated dual core faster than a higher single?
    I know 800Mhz was just an example but I dont think the dual cores are rated at less then 1Ghz. Dual cores are still pretty new, and there just now really starting to hit the market in mass production. You really have to take it on a CPU by CPU basis. Generally the dual cores are better but I know atleast 1 single core CPU can out perform a dual core. That single core will see better performance when running an app, but the dual core can help mange multi-tasking better.
    How to SBF your D2G in Windows!
    How to SBF your D2G in Linux!

Retired Devices:Last Used Rom
    Motorola Backflip : Cyanogenmod 7
    Droid 2 Global : AOKP Build 39
    Current Device:Current Roms
    Droid Razr Maxx HD : Fuzion

I do NOT offer help through PM. Sorry!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by kinfolk248 View Post
    Get a dual core.

1. Multiple cores allows for better power management. Longer battery life.
    2. More powerful as a general rule.
    3. Android is adding more support for it all the time. It will only get better.

There's really no reason not to get a dual core at this point. There are enough phones out to give you a decent choice, more coming out very soon. They have all the benefits and no downsides really. Except maybe price.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
    Well If you can wait for 1 month more than you can easily get HTC Sensation which come with 1.2 Ghz duel core processor.This is the best duel core processor because it is 1.2 GHZ not 1 GHZ. This is the best phone to invest money in.Just wait 1 or 1.5 month to launch the phone.
    theres a htc sensation coming to vzw in amonth?
    really?

We know the droid x 2 and the samsung galaxy 2 are coming eventually, i think you're going to be waiting a while for a dual core lte device though.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Get a dual-core smartphone.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)

Stock, Unrooted Jelly Bean 4.1.1 goodness
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links