DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: antivirus for droid

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GromitDroid View Post
    Hi Hawaii.

I don't believe that about no viruses! If you can hack it, you can make a virus. I use Lookout. I got it from the Market. I also use ATK paid version. I like it b/c for me it does help. Try the free version. I am talking about the one from Res Child, not the others out there.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    No, it didn't help because you simply don't understand how difficult it is to write a virus for Linux. You also are wrong about task killers.

I usually don't talk about the amount of post somebody had as to how it holds to their credibility, but you just joined this forum. I suggest you do a little more reading and less advising at this point.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Twitter
    Leanne_808
    Phone
    D2G DX D3 Xoom Razr Maxx SG3
    Premium Member
    I understand about Linux, I work for a bank and understand it. Lol...I just wanted a feed back and wasn't about to search thru hundreds of blobs
    I thank u all again but I don't think I would need an antivirus....hope not

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Origional
    Hawaii was asking what people use, which is the best etc. I was just telling her what works for me. I claimed to be expressing an opinion not the Gospel Truth. This is a forum where people can express their opinions, learn and exchange information.

So please don't tell me how wrong I am for trying to do so, just because I am new.

As far as reading, yes Android is based on Linux. But it is not entirely linux. There are some parts that are based on C and Java, which have had viruses.

Lastly, If I have a question that others share too, and I find a good answer I am going to post it.

I am sorry you feel you are the only one qualified ever to give advice about anything and everything Android, but I don't share that belief.

Good Day!

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Twitter
    Leanne_808
    Phone
    Premium Member
    I appreciate any help & advice, really. so don't worry its all good and yes to each is his own opinion.
    have a good week!

Hawaii was asking what people use, which is the best etc. I was just telling her what works for me. I claimed to be expressing an opinion not the Gospel Truth. This is a forum where people can express their opinions, learn and exchange information.

So please don't tell me how wrong I am for trying to do so, just because I am new.

As far as reading, yes Android is based on Linux. But it is not entirely linux. There are some parts that are based on C and Java, which have had viruses.

Lastly, If I have a question that others share too, and I find a good answer I am going to post it.

I am sorry you feel you are the only one qualified ever to give advice about anything and everything Android, but I don't share that belief.

Good Day!

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Origional
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Hi Hawaii.
    No, it didn't help because you simply don't understand how difficult it is to write a virus for Linux. You also are wrong about task killers.

I usually don't talk about the amount of post somebody had as to how it holds to their credibility, but you just joined this forum. I suggest you do a little more reading and less advising at this point.
    Oh, here is a link to "more reading" which Hookbill thinks I don't do. It is about Android's First Virus:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10928070

Thank you Hawaii for being receptive and respectful of others. :-)

6. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    That's actually a misnomer. More malware than it is a virus. And I have my doubts as to whether lookout could have helped you with that one.

There is, as of now, no need for an anti virus on android, as there are no viruses. There is of course this one reported case of malware. Best advice is only download apps from the marketplace, never from text messages, and pay attention to the comments for each app as well as the permissions it is asking for.

tappin and a talkin
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Twitter
    Leanne_808
    Phone
    Premium Member
    im always weary of any tech devices, including Apple products, for we never know how and when they will hit. not to say wikileaks already happened LOL. it was joke...
    but I agree only from the market is what I was referring too in regards to this subject.
    thanks for the input

8. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Premium Member

Good Day!

He isn't the only one qualified, but he knows what he is talking about. Antivirus programs at this given time are pointless, becausen they are scanning for something that doesn't yet exist. The reason it is hard to get a virus to work on linux, or unix for that matter, is b/c you have to give it permission to do it's harm.

Also, android does it's job of managing task very well. Especially since the 2.1 era. You by using a task killer are therefore working against androids internal task management system. Apps being open more often than not do not run, but rather are frozen in the memory. Only really badly coded apps do otherwise.

Listen to the people who are well established in this community. They more often than not know what they are talking about.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    -----------------------------------
    Rom: CyanogenMod 7 Winner00's Nightly #85
    Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.1.0.2
    Kernel: Prime's deprimed_test
    Theme: Stock
    Launcher: ADW EX 1.2.2
    Launcher Theme: Gingerbread
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/ihaztehwingz

-----------------------------------
    Member #
    Liked