DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Captivate, Droid X, or EVO 4G?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #

Captivate, Droid X, or EVO 4G?

Ignoring the service and price, of these three phones, which would you prefer? While I already have a phone from my workplace (iPhone), I just bought my wife a Droid Incredible and fell in love with Android, and decided I need to get an Android phone for myself. I work in the Telco industry, so I get pretty good discounts with all the major four...and have worked it down to these three phones.

Another question regardless of choice. Should I expect to be able to upgrade to 2.3 when it comes out on all of these phones?

Thanks for your time,
    gFiz
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    GSM Note 3, Note 2, Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfiz View Post
    Ignoring the service and price, of these three phones, which would you prefer? While I already have a phone from my workplace (iPhone), I just bought my wife a Droid Incredible and fell in love with Android, and decided I need to get an Android phone for myself. I work in the Telco industry, so I get pretty good discounts with all the major four...and have worked it down to these three phones.

Another question regardless of choice. Should I expect to be able to upgrade to 2.3 when it comes out on all of these phones?

Thanks for your time,
    gFiz
    The EVO is basically a giant HTC Incredible - although I'm not sure if it has an AMOLED screen like my Dinc, or a SLCD screen like my Droid X. Let me put it this way, I personally would go for the EVO over the other phones, if you can establish that it has the AMOLED screen. The screen on my Dinc is absolutely gorgeous to look at, and with the extended battery has no problem with battery drain.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gfiz View Post

Thanks for your time,
    gFiz
    The EVO is basically a giant HTC Incredible - although I'm not sure if it has an AMOLED screen like my Dinc, or a SLCD screen like my Droid X. Let me put it this way, I personally would go for the EVO over the other phones, if you can establish that it has the AMOLED screen. The screen on my Dinc is absolutely gorgeous to look at, and with the extended battery has no problem with battery drain.

-Mike

sadly, the EVO is TFT. The EVO is the one I've looked at the longest. I think I like the look, since it is a Dinc basically just a little bigger. I kind of wanted to get something different from what my wife has, even though I think the Dinc is perfect...

The Droid X is also a consideration. Verizon is the most expensive for me, but only by like $6/mo, so hardly a deterrent. I hate the back of it though and that bulge...

I really like the look of the Captivate. I think 4" is perfect size screen, still comfortable in my pocket. But cons are it has 2.1 on it and all that AT&T crap. If I upgrade with one of the beta 2.2 firmwares, can I assume it will not have the AT&T software on it? I think H/W wise this is my choice, it's the S/W I have the biggest issue with.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @jordanh08
    Phone
    Droid X
    I vote DX, I have no regrets purchasing it.
    Want to receive notifications when somebody quotes you in a post? - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-notifier.html
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD
    Out of those personally I'd choose a Droid X. I have a Droid 2 myself and have no issues, but I know a lot of people with X who like it. IMO I think it's mostly a matter of whether you want a larger viewing area (X) or a physical keyboard + screen keyboard (Droid 2). Other than that the differences don't seem to major (battery life etc). Unlike with an iPhone, the great thing about Android phones is that you get a TON of choices and freedom!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)

Stock, Unrooted Jelly Bean 4.1.1 goodness

Links