DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD Catalyst

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I encoded the entire Star Wars saga onto my Droid....that was a b!*ch! Now to upload it, hope my computer doesn't catch fire in the middle of the night.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    This program is awesome. 2 hour movies in about 45-55 minutes for me using JTacs droid settings (which are amazing). It is definitely a cpu hog throughout as my cpu use says 100% lol. I have a hp laptop with a core 2 duo @ 2 ghz with 4 gigs a ram running vista 7.

What is everyone using to play the videos on your droids? I am using the gallery, but can't stand how it doesn't show you the details. I click on the movie select details, then again and again and again.
  3. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by serum153 View Post
    This program is awesome. 2 hour movies in about 45-55 minutes for me using JTacs droid settings (which are amazing). It is definitely a cpu hog throughout as my cpu use says 100% lol. I have a hp laptop with a core 2 duo @ 2 ghz with 4 gigs a ram running vista 7.
    Do you have the (free) boosterpack installed? This will speed up conversions a bit.
    45-55 minutes fror a 2hour movie sounds about right on a core2duo laptop.

What is everyone using to play the videos on your droids? I am using the gallery, but can't stand how it doesn't show you the details. I click on the movie select details, then again and again and again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTAC View Post
    If you want the titles to display...there's an app for that. Check "Video Player", "Cinema", "Act 1 Video Player". I know for a fact that all 3 display titles.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Thank you sir for this and all the other advice and help that you offer these forums

**Edit - the boosterpack seems to have REALLY increased performance. I am doing scarface right now which is 2 hours and 49 minutes long and my estimated time is at 52 minutes. I will have to redo a movie that I recall the time on to see what the time savings is.
    Last edited by serum153; 12-20-2009 at 11:16 AM.
  5. dvdcatalyst
    **Edit - the boosterpack seems to have REALLY increased performance. I am doing scarface right now which is 2 hours and 49 minutes long and my estimated time is at 52 minutes. I will have to redo a movie that I recall the time on to see what the time savings is.
    Glad to hear it. On average, the boosterpack makes DVD Catalyst about 20% faster, but for more cores and newer processors, it usually is a bit more than that.
    Another trick to gain even more is to turn off the cpu indicators (Global Settings > Advanced)
    You can do this while the conversion is running
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Well I totally regret purchasing this software. I started ripping a DVD at 3:30pm and got back home at 6pm. When I left it said it would be 1 hour 27 minutes. When I got home it was only at 61% and another hour to go! I just tried again at 6:30pm to rip the same DVD and it is now 8:34pm...DVD Catalyst read 35% complete! The DVD is only 60 minutes long and I have used FREE apps that have done a faster job. I have even tried the booster pack but that seems to have slow it down...

I should add that the 2nd attempt I shut ALL un-necessary programs running even processes that I wasn't using. I have 2gb RAM and a 2.5GHz Processor
    Last edited by mikespe; 12-20-2009 at 06:38 PM.
  7. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespe View Post
    Well I totally regret purchasing this software. I started ripping a DVD at 3:30pm and got back home at 6pm. When I left it said it would be 1 hour 27 minutes. When I got home it was only at 61% and another hour to go! I just tried again at 6:30pm to rip the same DVD and it is now 8:34pm...DVD Catalyst read 35% complete! The DVD is only 60 minutes long and I have used FREE apps that have done a faster job. I have even tried the booster pack but that seems to have slow it down...

I should add that the 2nd attempt I shut ALL un-necessary programs running even processes that I wasn't using. I have 2gb RAM and a 2.5GHz Processor
    I'm sorry to hear that Mike,
    there could be numerous reasons on why the conversion is so slow. Your computers specifications should do a faster job than that, however, if a fancy screensaver kicks in, or another application runs at the same time of the conversion, a TV recording for example, it will affect the conversion speed considerably. It's also possible some other DVD application is accessing the DVD at the same time, or the DVD or drive has some issues.
    Maybe try a different DVD and see if that works better, otherwise, send me an email and I will provide a refund.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    You should troubleshoot with the creator as he is very helpful before you get all worked up. Your delays are not the fault of the program and most likely has to do with your settings and/or your computer. When it is done the quality of sound and picture will be greater than the other programs that you used. I have put 17 different movies on my hardrive and not one had any problems.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    As I mentioned in my post I shut down every program and process I could. I am very good with computers and have built a few so I know my way around one. I know all about services & processes that run in the background that take up resources. I apologize to the creator if I sound unappreciative. Its just that when you expect something to work good and it doesn't TWICE then its frustrating. As for the program settings, they are all left as is from the install. If any need to be changed then please let me know.

Thanks
  10. dvdcatalyst
    As I mentioned in my post I shut down every program and process I could. I am very good with computers and have built a few so I know my way around one. I know all about services & processes that run in the background that take up resources. I apologize to the creator if I sound unappreciative. Its just that when you expect something to work good and it doesn't TWICE then its frustrating. As for the program settings, they are all left as is from the install. If any need to be changed then please let me know.

Thanks
    As I said, I'd gladly issue a refund if you are unhappy with the program, but have you tried any other DVDs, besides the one you are having issues with? There can be numerous reasons on why you are experiencing such slow conversion times, but my first try would be a different DVD, and see if the same thing happens with that.

You mentioned the DVD is only an hour long, so is it possibly a burned DVD, if so, it could be the burning software used to create the DVD that is causing issues. Roxio in particular does not create fully compliant DVDs for example.

No need to apologize for bringing up problems, however, I would like to have as much information as possible to be able to assist you.

**edit: I found an older post

I used the free version of DVD Catalyst to convert my mpeg to mp4...using the iPhone setting...worked great! I plan on putting all my guitar instructional videos on there! Perfect if I'm on the go!
    If it's an educational DVD, it might just be the DVD itself that is causing the problem. Some people have reported issues with some "The Teaching Company" DVDs. Most work fine, however there are a few that are a bit more tricky than others.

If you let me know what DVD it is, I might be able to find it and figure out what is causing the problem.
    Last edited by dvdcatalyst; 12-20-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links