DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Recording Internet Streaming Audio

Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Recording Internet Streaming Audio

For a long time I've been looking for an app that will record streaming internet audio on my Droid. There are lots of apps that can do this for Windows Mobile or for iPhone.

For a long time I didn't think it was even possible for Android. But apparently it IS possible and there is at least one app in the market that can do it.

It's called Radio Rip:

Radio RIP ~ Android Application v2.2 By Spartacus Rex | Multimedia

I've tried it and it does work. It's got some limitations (mp3 streams only - no AAC), but its a good start towards what I'm looking for. What its missing is a timer/scheduler for unattended recording. I've written the developer "Spartacus Rex" but he's pretty close lipped about it. All I got out of him was "maybe soon".

As far as I can tell recording streaming audio is undocumented in the Android SDK (please correct me if I'm wrong.) If Spartacus Rex has figured it out, I wonder if anyone else around here knows how to do it?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Is there a way to stream mp3's onto the internet similar to streaming video onto justin.tv?

thanks
    Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus
    AOKP 4 LIFE - Milestone 6 ICS
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Nblufire12 View Post
    Is there a way to stream mp3's onto the internet similar to streaming video onto justin.tv?

thanks
    Yes I'm pretty sure I came across an app like that when I was looking for recorders, but I couldn't tell you the name of it right now. If I see it again I'll let you know.

I did find ANOTHER app that records streaming radio. It's pretty good too, but it still doesn't have a timed scheduler:

Broove Adore
    http://web2.broov.in/downloads/BroovAdore_1.0.apk
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    My cellphone is android, too. This app may be useful for android users but I used to record internet streaming audio on computer and then convert to my cellphone, because I get an app from my friend which can capture streaming music easily.
    Btw, Iíll also try the Radio Rip someday.
    Last edited by Screaming; 04-07-2012 at 01:34 AM.
  6. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Recording Internet streaming content from the Internet is a fairly straight forward task and has become easier over the years. Most computers today are better able to handle the rigors of recording, contain versatile sound cards and work seamlessly with most of the better software applications available.

Thanks a lot,
    Derren
  7. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    I have found that anything that streams through safari can also stream in the background. I use wunderRadio for streaming and its great. Its a large database of streams. It also has a stream in the background button which takes you to a wunderRadio page in safari for that stream. This way you click play close safari and it keeps streaming. It has the station you mentioned as well. But its not worth it if you only want to stream that station as you can stream that one for free.

Thanks in advance,
    Derren
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    For a long time I've been looking for an app that will record streaming internet audio on my Droid. There are lots of apps that can do this for Windows Mobile or for iPhone.

For a long time I didn't think it was even possible for Android. But apparently it IS possible and there is at least one app in the market that can do it.

It's called Radio Rip:

Radio RIP ~ Android Application v2.2 By Spartacus Rex | Multimedia

I've tried it and it does work. It's got some limitations (mp3 streams only - no AAC), but its a good start towards what I'm looking for. What its missing is a timer/scheduler for unattended recording. I've written the developer "Spartacus Rex" but he's pretty close lipped about it. All I got out of him was "maybe soon".

As far as I can tell recording streaming audio is undocumented in the Android SDK (please correct me if I'm wrong.) If Spartacus Rex has figured it out, I wonder if anyone else around here knows how to do it?
    This is without doubt the worst suggestion in the history of the internet. What a complete waste of £2.99 and an hour of my time. It simply doesn't work except for a tiny number of stations already linked up to it. It is utterly ****.

Links