DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Droid in car music streaming.

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Question Question about Droid in car music streaming.

Hey guys, I am looking to switch from apple to droid X this weekend and was looking at the available options for accessories for car docks and music streaming but really didn't notice much available.

I was hoping the car dock had some sort of fm transmitter or auxilary connection but it does not appear to have anything like that.

My current (theoretical) solution was to buy a Kenwood KIV-700 radio with a Blue tooth module then use the motorola car dock to hold and charge the phone and stream music via Bluetooth (or optionally the usb if it offers some cool functionality).

I guess my question would be for the existing droid users, do droid phones stream music pretty well? Have a better (or cheaper) option for hooking up droids to the car radio?

How did other people set theirs up? I'm just wondering if this will all work like I hope it will... before spending all the money. I realize the droid x in particular hasn't been released yet, but I'm thinking the incredible and evo are close enough for government work and may give me some insite on what to avoid.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    well, i use 2 different ways. one of my cars has a auxiliary input(3.5mm jack) which i use to hook up to the car, and that works perfectly.

the other car doesn't have an aux input, so i use this Amazon.com: Motorola T505 ROKR Bluetooth In Car Speaker Phone with Digital FM Transmitter:…. it is a bluetooth speaker phone with an fm transmitter so the music plays through the car speakers.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    I use a Kenwood deck with BT Audio, works really well.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I use a pioneer headunit with an aux port. I wouldn't recommend an FM transmitter because sound quality is horrible with those.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by noisufnoc View Post
    I use a Kenwood deck with BT Audio, works really well.
    Really? Out of curiousity does the bluetooth connectivitiy allow you to control the playlist (ff, rew, stop, pause) from the the radio controls and remote.

Not a deal breaker if it doesn't, would be just really really cool if it did.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by gujupmp88 View Post
    well, i use 2 different ways. one of my cars has a auxiliary input(3.5mm jack) which i use to hook up to the car, and that works perfectly.

the other car doesn't have an aux input, so i use this Amazon.com: Motorola T505 ROKR Bluetooth In Car Speaker Phone with Digital FM Transmitter:. it is a bluetooth speaker phone with an fm transmitter so the music plays through the car speakers.
    I saw that motorola, that was my first consideration before I started thinking about a new radio with bluetooth. My only problem with it was that I only have one power jack... so I'd be able to charge my phone or the Blue tooth device, but not both. That could get a little awkward for long trips juggling the power from one to the other or for frequent use.

I'm hoping to get a little better quality of sound through the bluetooth as well, maybe get rid of the FM radio hiss and a little better volume (FM transmitters seem to be quiter then normal radio and cd's from my experience)
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I use a Dual head unit with BT audio. Works great for audio streaming. Actually better than trying to plug in from the Droid's headphone jack, because if I'm charging, my cigarette lighter is not grounded well and I get a hum on the radio. BT stream takes care of that.

I don't know if the deck can control audio playback or not... haven't looked or tried. My Droid sits within easy reach, so I just use the touch screen.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mindwerks View Post
    I saw that motorola, that was my first consideration before I started thinking about a new radio with bluetooth. My only problem with it was that I only have one power jack... so I'd be able to charge my phone or the Blue tooth device, but not both. That could get a little awkward for long trips juggling the power from one to the other or for frequent use.

I'm hoping to get a little better quality of sound through the bluetooth as well, maybe get rid of the FM radio hiss and a little better volume (FM transmitters seem to be quiter then normal radio and cd's from my experience)
    I spent a few $$ at Radio Shack and bought a splitter that gives me two cigarette lighter ports and one USB. Works fine going into the single jack, as neither of my devices (Droid charger and XM radio power) pull near enough juice do cause problems.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Note 2, GNex
    When considering which bluetooth capable deck to buy, make sure it can support one of the following BT profiles:

A2DP: Stream music from device (must control music on device for pause/start, fwd/rev)

AVRCP: Stream music from device AND control pause/start, fwd/rev from head unit.

So, if you would like to control the droid's music from the head unit, go for one that supports AVRCP. If you don't care or would rather use the droid's screen to control the music, go for A2DP. Most of the head units I have seen that support AVRCP also support A2DP.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAP1 View Post
    When considering which bluetooth capable deck to buy, make sure it can support one of the following BT profiles:

A2DP: Stream music from device (must control music on device for pause/start, fwd/rev)

AVRCP: Stream music from device AND control pause/start, fwd/rev from head unit.

So, if you would like to control the droid's music from the head unit, go for one that supports AVRCP. If you don't care or would rather use the droid's screen to control the music, go for A2DP. Most of the head units I have seen that support AVRCP also support A2DP.
    Just looked up the specs on mine. The Dual XDH7714 supports A2DP profile.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links