DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Real Audio Quality from the Droid

1. Droid
    Member #

Getting Real Audio Quality from the Droid

As most of us know the headphone jack leaves a lot to be desired for audio volume which affects the quality of your songs. When playing through the 3.5mm jack in my truck I have to crank the volume a lot more which raises the noise floor and causes more distortion in my music and also reduces the available volume.

I took some of the songs that I've loaded onto the Droid and burned them to a CD. From the CD I get MUCH better quality and volume.

I have been looking into buying a new head unit for my car with a USB input. I was wanting to hear from others to see if the quality is much better. (as it should be as good of quality as my CD)

Also, I was wondering if anyone know if there is any work being done to develop a plug/dock that would allow you hook up the Droid and have RCA and or 3.5 mm outputs

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    If you are listening to an MP3, even a high bitrate one, it won't sound as good as a CD. Most decent car head units have very good DAC's that tend to reproduce the uncompressed audio from a CD quite well. I have never had a compressed (i.e. MP3) audio source sound as good. Fortunately I tend to not be way too picky about it. I mostly hook up the phone to listen to Pandora anyways. The connection probably isn't as much of a problem as the source. It still won't sound as good as a CD even through USB.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    You'd want a line-out (such as iPhones have) to bypass the internal DAC in the phone. As far as I can tell, the HDMI out would serve the purpose (so long as your head-unit has HDMI-in, or you have a powered DAC that will take HDMI audio inputs and output it in a form your head unit can take). All in all, it seems like a lot of complexity and cost for an automobile application, where audio quality has already been severely compromised. And as dwagner88 says, the fact that you're dealing with compressed audio (unless you're using FLAC, but then, why would you?) makes it all not worth doing in the first place.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar B View Post
    ....As far as I can tell, the HDMI out would serve the purpose (so long as your head-unit has HDMI-in, or you have a powered DAC that will take HDMI audio inputs and output it in a form your head unit can take)....
    The Droid does not have HDMI out.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - Verizon
    better audio is always nice, but you can make improvements by just getting a headphone amp and a decent pair of headphones. Those cheapo 10 dollar sony earbuds don't count. There are some high end ones (being a relative term, they can go into the thousands) for 40-150 bucks.

More than most would pay probably for headphones, but I have a nice setup with some sennheisers headphones (mmm soft comfy earmuffs lol) and it sounds better than basically any normal speaker setup i've heard for music. (guess it depends on what you call music =) ) but instruments and vocals are clear tight and you would be suprised by bass you can get out of headphones.

Other then that, all I can really say is if you want good audio you should really not be using your phone. digital is digital but all the electronics in the phone may have some interference bleeding into the line. High end amps and receivers usually have options to turn sections of them off or even the display panels in order to prevent contamination.

and why not use flac? it's lossless compresses good enough for the storage space we have today and it's pretty widespread/easy to use. unless of course you are more interested in quantity?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar B View Post
    ....As far as I can tell, the HDMI out would serve the purpose (so long as your head-unit has HDMI-in, or you have a powered DAC that will take HDMI audio inputs and output it in a form your head unit can take)....
    The Droid does not have HDMI out.
    Sorry, I have the Droid X on my mind.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I think using the droid as a usb mass storage device with a head unit that has usb input will be your best bet.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I don't think you can listen to music through the usb port with the droid, assuming you are plugging into the droid through the data port. You can only get audio through the headphone jack.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I like listeing to music via bluetooth, no cables, very convenient, sound quality is pretty good. Using JVC KD-AVX44, no problems,when I turn it on it auto-connects and all sound (audio players, phone calls) go via car speakers.

ero
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    10 characte
    Last edited by JWBose; 12-19-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links