DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: HOW TO: Convert DVDs and Videos for use with Droid

1. dvdcatalyst

Lightbulb RE: HOW TO: Convert DVDs and Videos for use with Droid

First off, Thank you JTAC for writing the guide on how to use DVD Catalyst 3 for converting movies to play on your Droid.

Most of us here on these forums know you have been a crusader for high quality videos on the Droid, and I am glad you have chosen DVD Catalyst for your conversions.

Because the original thread was moved to the FAQ section, and people can not post any messages there, I decided to restart the thread here to be able to continue communication in regards of the topic. There was one question asked that I could not respond to, which I do feel that needs answering.

This thread is basically meant as a continuation for the original thread located here:

HOW TO: Convert Videos for use with Droid

3. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
    When you mention advanced copyright protection, do you need to run that application from Slysoft and then DVD Catalyst to do the actual ripping?
    DVD Catalyst actually handles most DVDs without the need of any additional software. Just pop-in a DVD, and it will handle it. Some of the newer DVDs have a more advanced protection system that includes some form of scene scrambling. Movies like Transformers 2, Star Trek and GI Joe have this, as well as a few X-Men Animated TV DVDs. This protection system is not fully DVD standard compliant, and even some stand-alone DVD players have issues with these DVDs.

While DVD Catalyst can handle these DVDs for conversion, it is not capable of fixing the scene order, so for these DVDs, the only full-proof solution for success is to use SlySoft's AnyDVD. ANyDVD acts as a layer between the actual DVD disc, and a DVD conversion tool such as DVD Catalyst (or Handbrake for example) and redirects requests from the conversion program to the proper location on the DVD. It works on the fly, which means that you don't have to rip the DVD to your harddrive first.
    Last edited by dvdcatalyst; 01-10-2010 at 12:18 PM.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    No questions on the how to...good sign!
    DVD Catalyst - Simply the best program around for encoding videos and DVDs to various types of devices.
    www.tools4movies.com

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/JTAC_Droid

HOW TO: Convert Videos for use with Droid:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tml#post133774

Post questions about the "HOW TO" here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...use-droid.html
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus: Sourcerized
    Not so much a question on the how to but size. Wehn formatting these to be full screen on the droid do most movies take up about 1.5 gigs?
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ROM: Team Sourcery!

6. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Cam View Post
    Not so much a question on the how to but size. Wehn formatting these to be full screen on the droid do most movies take up about 1.5 gigs?
    If you create them using the highest quality, yes. JTAC converts them at 1500kbps.
    Most people can't tell the difference with 1000kbps, which results in roughly 1GB in size.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus: Sourcerized
    Thanks for the fast answer, i'll be using this for sure in about 2 weeks when I get my droid.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ROM: Team Sourcery!

8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quick question. I've used the Droid HQ preset to rip a couple movies and in parts with lots of action, there's a bit of lag or delay in the movie. For another movie, the sound/video got out of sync, but I think that was because I was jumping around with seek through the movie. Once I paused it and let it play, it worked itself out. I know you said there are hardware limitations to the droid (in response to someone who was ripping at like 1600kbps) so I'm wondering if there's an app or something that I'm running that's slowing choking up my video a bit? I watched The Hangover with the non-HQ preset and I think it was fine, but there were also no fast paced scenes. I think Apps Organizer may be the culprit but I'm not sure. I'm using Act 1 Video Player.
  9. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndstooth View Post
    Quick question. I've used the Droid HQ preset to rip a couple movies and in parts with lots of action, there's a bit of lag or delay in the movie. For another movie, the sound/video got out of sync, but I think that was because I was jumping around with seek through the movie. Once I paused it and let it play, it worked itself out. I know you said there are hardware limitations to the droid (in response to someone who was ripping at like 1600kbps) so I'm wondering if there's an app or something that I'm running that's slowing choking up my video a bit? I watched The Hangover with the non-HQ preset and I think it was fine, but there were also no fast paced scenes. I think Apps Organizer may be the culprit but I'm not sure. I'm using Act 1 Video Player.
    I always use 1 rule when there are some issues with video playback. Always try the file on your computer first if there are some issues. Play the file in Quicktime or VLC on your computer, and see if it has the same issues. (Dont use WMP on Windows7 for testing, it has sync issues with h264_mp4 files in a lot of cases)

The Droid can play 1500kbps/160kbps H264 video files (at least when created with DVD Catalyst) The HQ profile uses 1000kbps, so it should play fine, regardless of the scene activity.

I hope this helps.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    I always use 1 rule when there are some issues with video playback. Always try the file on your computer first if there are some issues. Play the file in Quicktime or VLC on your computer, and see if it has the same issues. (Dont use WMP on Windows7 for testing, it has sync issues with h264_mp4 files in a lot of cases)

The Droid can play 1500kbps/160kbps H264 video files (at least when created with DVD Catalyst) The HQ profile uses 1000kbps, so it should play fine, regardless of the scene activity.

I hope this helps.
    I checked and the movies are flawless in VLC player.

Edit: And by the way, for anyone reading, the non-HQ option still looks amazing and it has the added bonus of converting super fast. I think I converted The Hangover in about 30-40 minutes. It was great.
  11. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndstooth View Post
    I checked and the movies are flawless in VLC player.

Edit: And by the way, for anyone reading, the non-HQ option still looks amazing and it has the added bonus of converting super fast. I think I converted The Hangover in about 30-40 minutes. It was great.
    Thanks, the files are OK then. Last week I spend most of my time troubleshooting some issues, and in the end it turned out that WMP was causing the problem.

Can you try these on your Droid

www.tools4movies.com/Droid/IronMan2.mp4
    www.tools4movies.com/Droid/IronMan2.zip

They are from the trailer-thread, and I picked the Full-Screen ones.

The mp4 streams, but the Zip might be a better way of testing. It might be related to your memorycard, so by putting the mp4 from the zip on the same card as the movie, it should provide a better indication.

I'm leaning towards memorycard performance or fragmentation (or something that accesses the memorycard in the background)

If possible, can you format the memorycard (copy everything over, format, copy it back) and see if that helps, asuming you already did a soft reset/batterypull.
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Links