DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: HOW TO: Convert DVDs and Videos for use with Droid

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    dvdcat, do you offer a linux compatible version of your program? I know linux has several free ones but I know you put a lot of work into your program and if you have an offshoot for linux or mac I'd like to support you. Also, if it works through WINE to your knowledge I'd be willing to give that a shot as well.
  2. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by mrnelson86 View Post
    dvdcat, do you offer a linux compatible version of your program? I know linux has several free ones but I know you put a lot of work into your program and if you have an offshoot for linux or mac I'd like to support you. Also, if it works through WINE to your knowledge I'd be willing to give that a shot as well.
    Thank you mrnelson86,

Unfortunately no dedicated linux version.
    The development tool I use (Delphi) is limiting me in that aspect, in the same way as why there is no MAC version out there yet either.
    While there is a Delphi for Linux (Kylix), and there are tools that can handle the same code (Pascal/Lazarus) the problem is that the code I have worked quite a few years on is not compatible with other operating systems.
    A few years ago I made s start for a MAC version (too many different flavors of linux to start with) but I had to use Xcode to make things work. It's a completely different programming language, so besides learning how the MAC works internally, all my existing code needs to be translated as well.
    I'm a tiny company (I do everything myself, including development, research, site, docs etc) so time is a problem.
    I did manage (for XCode learning purposes) to release an iPhone game in the Appstore (Quad Ball, a 4-player Pong Game), but because I never updated it for iPhone OS3, it got removed.

I have had some people mention that DVD Catalyst works on wine, but I honestly have no idea. I never tried it myself. There is nothing in DVD Catalyst that makes use of fancy stuff that wine might not like, but I suggest to try it first with either DVD Catalyst Free or the Trial version of DVD Catalyst 3.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Bah, this is something I should've tried earlier, but the videos play fine in the default video player so I guess the problem is with the Act 1 video player which is disappointing. I remembered that I was getting a weird error yesterday where the video would pause and unpause really fast without me even touching it. I'll try the card format when I get home to my USB cord and edit this post if that helps Act 1. If it doesn't sorry for clogging your thread and I'll take it over to the applications forum.
  4. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndstooth View Post
    Bah, this is something I should've tried earlier, but the videos play fine in the default video player so I guess the problem is with the Act 1 video player which is disappointing. I remembered that I was getting a weird error yesterday where the video would pause and unpause really fast without me even touching it. I'll try the card format when I get home to my USB cord and edit this post if that helps Act 1. If it doesn't sorry for clogging your thread and I'll take it over to the applications forum.
    Somehow we always miss the obvious
    Unfortunately no software is bug-free. (if it was, the internet would sure be a quiet place)
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I've ripped over 300 movies now with DVDCatalyst, and only found three that gave me problems. Two of them ended the rip prematurely, and one just errors out with memory errors on start. Great product....and believe me, I own SEVERAL rippers from my quest to find a great one like this!

Any plans for a Blu-Ray version?
  6. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon_Bob View Post
    I've ripped over 300 movies now with DVDCatalyst, and only found three that gave me problems. Two of them ended the rip prematurely, and one just errors out with memory errors on start. Great product....and believe me, I own SEVERAL rippers from my quest to find a great one like this!

Any plans for a Blu-Ray version?
    Hi Bob,

Glad to hear you enjoy DVD Cat. Maybe PM/Email me the titles of the DVDs, and I'll see if I can figure out why they are not working properly.

As for bluray, yes, but no development progress on this yet. The only reliable method to do something with these is to use AnyDVD HD, which kinda defeats anything I would do, because people whould have to pay $60 for that first, and then something for BluCat (or whatever name it will get). There are some free methods, but due to the constant changes in the bluray format, (I bet those early adopters just love that their $1500 Bluray drive from 2 years ago wont play all the stuff on the new releases) nothing is fully reliable. Once it's a bit more ironed our, I'm sure to do something with bluray.
    DVDCat does handle those bluray RIPS (MKV) though
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    _Flomaster
    Phone
    DROOOOOOOOOOOiid
    Premium Member
    ok finally got my computer up and running again... fack...

check disk got stuck at 1% (I guess I should have uninstalled another slysoft program before installing Anydvd because my registry got FUBAR)
    did a system restore
    Kaspersky went wonky on me
    got AnyDvd up and running

DvdCatalyst is working great.

but on to my question.... what does AnyDvd have to do with DvdCatalyst? do they work in-cahoots or do I need to RIP with AnyDvd then DvdCatalyst?

-=Jason=-
    Last edited by Flomaster; 01-19-2010 at 09:37 PM.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    PM/Email me the titles of the DVDs, and I'll see if I can figure out why they are not working properly.
    Thanks, and will do. I'll give them one more try myself, and make good notes for you of exactly where they fail, then PM the titles and errors to you. There are only three.

Glad to hear there's a Bluray ripper in our future. I do have AnyDVD HD already, and understand exactly where you're coming from there.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post

check dis got stuck at 1%
    did a system restore

but on to my question.... what does AnyDvd have to do with DvdCatalyst? do they work in-cahoots or do I need to RIP with AnyDvd then DvdCatalyst?

-=Jason=-
    AnyDVD helps with encryption on DVDs. Usually you will not need to use AnyDVD with DVDCatalyst as DVDCatalyst does that by itself.
  10. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post

check disk got stuck at 1% (I guess I should have uninstalled another slysoft program before installing Anydvd because my registry got FUBAR)
    did a system restore

-=Jason=-
    Some DVDs have a more severe protection than others. While DVDCat can handle most of them, AnyDVD does this better. It works as a layer between the DVD drive and a program (such as DVDcat) that accesses the DVD. It's transparent, and for DVD tools, the DVD appears unprotected, region free. All the problems the DVD protection can cause are redirected by AnyDVD to make things work.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndstooth View Post
    AnyDVD helps with encryption on DVDs. Usually you will not need to use AnyDVD with DVDCatalyst as DVDCatalyst does that by itself.
    Thank you for your help. Sometimes it feels like I'm being emailed/messaged to death

Quote Originally Posted by Canon_Bob View Post
    Thanks, and will do. I'll give them one more try myself, and make good notes for you of exactly where they fail, then PM the titles and errors to you. There are only three.

Glad to hear there's a Bluray ripper in our future. I do have AnyDVD HD already, and understand exactly where you're coming from there.
    I'm actually looking at a bluray guide at this very moment to troubleshoot an issue with someones home-made blurayrips. I just glanced over it (its getting late) and it seems like a pain to do all these steps. I might whip up something to make this a little friendlier. No promises though. If someone has some bluray guides, email them to me, and I'll see what I can do.

Again, no promises. I'm working on both an update for dvdcat AND trying to get the mp4 server out there as well.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Links