DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to transfer videos from phone to computer?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Captivate Galaxy S

How to transfer videos from phone to computer?

I have recorded a few videos on my Samsung captivate and I can't figure out how to upload them on my computer. Can someone tell me step by step how to do this? I've tried emailing myself the videos but the files are too big. Also, how do I upload music from my computer to my phone?

Thanks for everything!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using DroidForums App
    Christina G.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    None
    Ok, I'm using a Droid X, so their may be some slight differences.

First, plug your phone into the computer using the micro-USB port.

At that point you should get a USB notification. Drag your notification bar down, tap the USB connection and choose USB Mass Storage.

You should see the SD card of your phone show up on the computer as a USB Drive.

Open the drive on the computer and navigate to the DCIM folder. Somewhere in there you should find your video files, probably with the extension .3gp

They may be under a different folder. Search around.

Drag and drop them into the folder of your choice on the computer.

When you are done be sure to properly eject the USB drive from your computer before disconnecting the phone. If you want the phone to automatically mount the SD card each time leave it in USB Mass Storage. If not change it to whatever you normally have it in. I leave it in Charge Only.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by TwerpPoet View Post
    Ok, I'm using a Droid X, so their may be some slight differences.

First, plug your phone into the computer using the micro-USB port.

At that point you should get a USB notification. Drag your notification bar down, tap the USB connection and choose USB Mass Storage.

You should see the SD card of your phone show up on the computer as a USB Drive.

Open the drive on the computer and navigate to the DCIM folder. Somewhere in there you should find your video files, probably with the extension .3gp

They may be under a different folder. Search around.

Drag and drop them into the folder of your choice on the computer.

When you are done be sure to properly eject the USB drive from your computer before disconnecting the phone. If you want the phone to automatically mount the SD card each time leave it in USB Mass Storage. If not change it to whatever you normally have it in. I leave it in Charge Only.
    Nicely explained. Great job. I admired it.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    That was an excellent description of how to transfer files from your phone to computer via USB Cable. I don't think there is anything I could say to improve on that answer.

However, if you want an alternative that does NOT require using a USB connection, take a look at an application called Dropbox. You can install Dropbox on your computer, and also download and install it onto your phone from the Market. Then, copy your video into Dropbox from your phone. In a few minutes, the video will appear in your Dropbox on your computer.

If you decide to install Dropbox, you get 2GB of space with a new account. However, if use a referral link when setting up your account, you and the person providing the referral link each get an additional 250MB of space (up to the 8GB limit).

Here is a link to the forum Drop Box Referral Thread. Just go to the last page, use the last referral when you sign up, then add your own referral link so the next person that signs up can use your referral.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...rals-here.html
    Last edited by vegainey; 03-08-2011 at 04:30 PM.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by vegainey View Post
    That was an excellent description of how to transfer files from your phone to computer via USB Cable. I don't think there is anything I could say to improve on that answer.

However, if you want an alternative that does NOT require using a USB connection, take a look at an application called Dropbox. You can install Dropbox on your computer, and also download and install it onto your phone from the Market. Then, copy your video into Dropbox from your phone. In a few minutes, the video will appear in your Dropbox on your computer.

If you decide to install Dropbox, you get 2GB of space with a new account. However, if use a referral link when setting up your account, you and the person providing the referral link each get an additional 250MB of space (up to the 8GB limit).

Here is my referral link, in case you want to use it.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NT...g5?src=global0
    Thanks for this mighty link, dude! I really appreciate your efforts and I'll surely refer it to my friends and colleagues who actually are in a dire need of it.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Vibrant
    I will add one more method...which is longer, but will work when you don't have your card. If you have bluetooth enabled on your home pc, you could send it that way. I downloaded a free app called bluetooth file transfer that makes the process so much easier. I had to use it to send a video to my cousins android phone. I filmed him while we were fishing and he wanted to have the video.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DroidForums App
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Vibrant
    I meant to say...when you don't have your cable.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DroidForums App
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 on Squidly's
    Without a cable... my expertise!

Im all about wireless. Go to market and download SwiFTP. Google a tutorial on how to use it or map your phone as a network device. I have a shortcut to my phone under my computer now, you can do everything and more that you could with the cable, but its over wifi instead now, and its not slow at all. You even have access to the phone files whereas usb gives you just the sd card.
    Droid 2 on Squidly's
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid R2D2
    There is also the option of using wifi if you have a wireless network at home. Although, I do not have a specific process and have no prior experience doing this.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Yeah, the Wi-Fi option is something extraordinary (I must say).
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links