DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: link to .mp4 video file

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid2

link to .mp4 video file

I'm using Touchdown to access my work e-mail on Exchange.

I get e-mails that have links to .mp4 files that are hosted on our corporate web server. I click on the link and it starts downloading for a few seconds, but then it just quits with no explanation or error.

The link in the email would look like this - Click HERE to view video file.

The "HERE" part would be the link to the .mp4 file.

Is there a setting on my phone that I need to adjust that will allow me to view these .mp4 files?

With my BlackBerry, I have to select the link and I get an option to save the .mp4 file rather then viewing it directly. The file then downloads and I can open it in the default BlackBerry media player. I'm wondering if there's a similar option on the Droid that would allow me to download the .mp4 file first and then open it.
    Last edited by johnnyreb; 12-16-2010 at 04:02 PM.
  2. dvdcatalyst
    In order for the files to play, they have to be compatible. Try downloading one on your computer and then transfer it to your phone to see if it plays.
    For streaming to work, the files have to have a streaming flag enabled. For more info on that, check the trailer-link in my signature (the mp4 links in there do stream)

based on your description, my guess is that the files are in an incompatible video format for your phone. The first few seconds download and then quit sounds like the streaming flag is enabled, but after the buffering when it actually starts to play the file, it runs into an incompatible video format and crashes.

The Blackberry is a lot less picky in terms of video file playback, which is why it works on that.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid2
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    In order for the files to play, they have to be compatible. Try downloading one on your computer and then transfer it to your phone to see if it plays.
    For streaming to work, the files have to have a streaming flag enabled. For more info on that, check the trailer-link in my signature (the mp4 links in there do stream)

based on your description, my guess is that the files are in an incompatible video format for your phone. The first few seconds download and then quit sounds like the streaming flag is enabled, but after the buffering when it actually starts to play the file, it runs into an incompatible video format and crashes.

The Blackberry is a lot less picky in terms of video file playback, which is why it works on that.
    I transferred my .mp4 file to my phone and it does play. The audio and video aren't synched up very well, but it does play.

When I try to view one of the .mp4 links in your signature I get the same result as my .mp4 link. When I click on the link, it goes to my phone web browser, it then says that it's loading, then after a few seconds it just stops.

Maybe it's something in Touchdown that doesn't know how to interact with the link?
  4. dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyreb View Post
    I transferred my .mp4 file to my phone and it does play. The audio and video aren't synched up very well, but it does play.

When I try to view one of the .mp4 links in your signature I get the same result as my .mp4 link. When I click on the link, it goes to my phone web browser, it then says that it's loading, then after a few seconds it just stops.

Maybe it's something in Touchdown that doesn't know how to interact with the link?
    It is possible, but I think its the webbrowser that doesn't know how to interact with the mp4 link.
    It should start Gallery for playing the file after it connects, or if you have multiple video players installed, it should ask what you want to use.

Are you overclocked/using a different video player app?
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid2

It is possible, but I think its the webbrowser that doesn't know how to interact with the mp4 link.
    It should start Gallery for playing the file after it connects, or if you have multiple video players installed, it should ask what you want to use.

As soon as I click the .mp4 link it opens Browser. Browser say's it's loading, then it just quits. It never opens Gallery. Not overclocked and using all defaults.
  6. dvdcatalyst

As soon as I click the .mp4 link it opens Browser. Browser say's it's loading, then it just quits. It never opens Gallery. Not overclocked and using all defaults.
    Based on that, it could be that you installed one or more videoplayer apps that connected to the file extension (.mp4) and when you click the link, it tries to start that application. Either the application set for that was removed, and didnt clear its settings correctly, or the application doesn't accept files that way.

If the program is still installed,

Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications and choose the one that is the default now and click the Clear Defaults button
    source: OMG!!! How to change the file association on Android phones

Otherwise, I would suggest to install either Astro File Manager, which supposedly lets you change associations, or to download and install the video players you tried again, and then clear its settings after running it once.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Android 2.3 Ginger

Exclamation Can't DOWNLOAD mp4 video files!

No! This is wrong! It should NOT open with Gallery directly from the link, that is exactly why it isn't working.

I'm having the same issue.

When opening a direct download link to an .mp4 file, the browser opens (doesn't matter which I choose) and it immediately tries to Play the file in a Media player (doesn't matter which I choose), WITHOUT DOWNLOADING IT FIRST.

Correct behaviour (like ALL other file downloads) would be: Click the link, browser opens, download begins, browser asks for filename confirmation to save file, file downloads to sdcard/download, download complete notification appears, tap on download notification, Player opens, file plays.

Instead the browser is launching the Player with a web path instead of a local (SD) one, so the player returns "File cannot be played".

I can make them stream, but I can't find any way to make them download.

For instance, try this DropBox link on a PC and it works, on an Android phone, it tries to stream instead of opening a Download dialog:

http://db.tt/sheJ8yL
  8. dvdcatalyst
    That part is controlled by a flag in the file.

My MP4 links have the streaming-flag enabled, so when you tap on them, it will play while downloading.
    If you do not have this flag set, it will still start the player, but it will download the full clip before it starts playing.

If you tap and hold on an mp4 link, depending on the browser you use, you might be able to download it instead though.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Android 2.3 Ginger

Exclamation

That part is controlled by a flag in the file.

My MP4 links have the streaming-flag enabled, so when you tap on them, it will play while downloading.
    If you do not have this flag set, it will still start the player, but it will download the full clip before it starts playing.

If you tap and hold on an mp4 link, depending on the browser you use, you might be able to download it instead though.
    Any flag actually set within the file is irrelevant since the file never gets downloaded.
    If the link had a streaming tag, that might make a difference but ALL links to MP4 files attempt to stream instead of downloading the file.

The Player DOES NOT handle download requests. That happens in the browser before the file is handed to the Player. The player should not be called by default for a file link. The file link should open a Download dialog in the browser.

Long press works on other links but not on mp4 links. The browser is handling this link type incorrectly.

Does this make sense? Basically the Player should not even be a consideration, since the file has not been acquired yet. If the link contained a tag specifying streaming playback it would be different, but at the moment, even file downloading apps are no longer associated with mp4 files and I cannot find a fix. Shortened links (bit.ly, DropBox, etc) make it totally impossible to download the files. As far as I can tell, this is currently a system issue.
  10. dvdcatalyst
    If you change the file association for MP4 to something other than the video player you should be able to have it download:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tec...sociation.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links