DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: link to .mp4 video file

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Android 2.3 Ginger

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    If you change the file association for MP4 to something other than the video player you should be able to have it download:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tec...sociation.html
    The Gallery has no Default associations set. I've cleared it, also checked RockPlayer and it had no defaults set.

Once again, mp4 SHOULD be associated with the media Player. There is nothing else to set it to. Even with no default set you should not be prompted how to open the file, you should be prompted how to download it.

The browser should not launch the media Player. The browser should launch Downloads and when the downloaded file is tapped, Downloads should launch the Player.

I've read all over and I'm now convinced that this is an Android issue, not an app or settings issue. Even apps designed to download files never get a chance to download .mp4 files, they are sent straight to the Player apps as a web path instead of being allowed to download as with any other file.

Basically mp4 links are broken under Android and they need to be treated as discrete file for downloading. Anything that the browser itself cannot open should be offered as a download, with other Players / Viewers as secondary options.
  2. dvdcatalyst

What issue?

Ok, I tried it.

1. went to Index of /xoom using the stock browser on my x

2. Tap and hold on an MP4 link

3. Select save link:

and its downloading to SD card

nothing special, no weird changes, just visit site, tap&hold, and save link.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

Exclamation

Ok, I tried it.

1. went to Index of /xoom using the stock browser on my xoom

2. Tap and hold on an MP4 link

3. Select save link:

and its downloading to SD card

nothing special, no weird changes, just visit site, tap&hold, and save link.
    My point is that long press should not be required. Mp3 files are handled correctly, mp4 should be handled the same way. Default should be Download, not stream.

How would you handle bit.ly or DropBox links, like this?
    http://db.tt/sheJ8yL

For instance, try pasting that link into a text message and open it. How would you download the file? I can send ANY other file from my phone using DropBox or other links this way, but mp4 files try to stream instead of downloading.
    Last edited by ProphetZarquon; 06-30-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Removed quoted image links, explained difficulty with texting links.
  4. dvdcatalyst
    Personally I prefer to have a movie play when I tap the link, but everyone is different.

The thing is, you can play the files directly or you can download them.
    The process is identical to that of a PC. If you left-click (= tap) on an MP4 link, a PC will try and play the file as well. Rightclick on the link (=longpress) will bring up a context menu that gices you additional options, including a download.

For shortened links, its different. The links themselves need to be resolved by the service that was used to create them. They are not actual MP4 links. If you copy&paste the shortened url on the actual service website and have it give you the long-link, and you use that to access the file, you will be able to save the file. This is not a limitation of Android or the webbrowser.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

Exclamation

Personally I prefer to have a movie play when I tap the link, but everyone is different.

The thing is, you can play the files directly or you can download them.
    The process is identical to that of a PC. If you left-click (= tap) on an MP4 link, a PC will try and play the file as well. Rightclick on the link (=longpress) will bring up a context menu that gices you additional options, including a download.

For shortened links, its different. The links themselves need to be resolved by the service that was used to create them. They are not actual MP4 links. If you copy&paste the shortened url on the actual service website and have it give you the long-link, and you use that to access the file, you will be able to save the file. This is not a limitation of Android or the webbrowser.
    Actually, my PC downloads the file.
    I'm on cell, not WiFi, so streaming is sporadic at best.
    Again, my issue is how to send these links by text message. This IS an android issue, since ALL other file types are handled differently than mp4 and the MIME defaults in the apps settings have no effect on the behaviour.

Just because a file CAN be streamed does not mean the system should treat that file type differently than all others. Compare to mp3 file handling (which also supports streaming).
  6. dvdcatalyst
    send a link to where the file is located rather than a direct link to the file, that way the receiver can just visit the location and if they want to download the file they just long-press on it.

You can try this though:
    http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...ture%20request

other than that, I just gave you a few ideas on how to work around your issue. For me it works as it should.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links