DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Severe Weather ALERTS

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2

Severe Weather ALERTS

Looking for an app that actually gives you an ALERT/NOTIFICATION based on severe weather reports...

Not finding one.. I do see all the diff weather apps which obviously include severe weather alerts.. but not seeing one that actually alerts you........

Reason i'm looking for this: Last night at about 230 in the morning my dog runs through my bedroom door... (he's a big baby during storms..) so i get up and realize it's thundering a bit.. Now, i have a fan on in my room at night to block out outside noise.. well, it was doing it's job pretty well because we had some sort of warning horn blasting but it was so faint i had to turn the fan off before i realized what it was... It went off within less than a minute of me realizing it was even being sounded..

Most of you are saying "turn on your tv dummy" or "go get on the intrawebs"... thing is 1. no cable 2. only sometimes do i get a connection.. (yeah i leach.. gimme a break) so... it'd be nice for my phone (which is on my night stand next to my FACE) to blast some sort of alert... Any out there?!?!
  2. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    680 times
    Twitter
    @smalltownlife13
    Phone
    Note2, Maxx HD, S3, Nexus
    Premium Member
    WeatherBug has that option...I travel quite a bit and it alerts me based on the area that I am in...
    **Be yourself - Everyone else is already taken**

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Killer_ View Post
    Looking for an app that actually gives you an ALERT/NOTIFICATION based on severe weather reports...

Not finding one.. I do see all the diff weather apps which obviously include severe weather alerts.. but not seeing one that actually alerts you........

Reason i'm looking for this: Last night at about 230 in the morning my dog runs through my bedroom door... (he's a big baby during storms..) so i get up and realize it's thundering a bit.. Now, i have a fan on in my room at night to block out outside noise.. well, it was doing it's job pretty well because we had some sort of warning horn blasting but it was so faint i had to turn the fan off before i realized what it was... It went off within less than a minute of me realizing it was even being sounded..

Most of you are saying "turn on your tv dummy" or "go get on the intrawebs"... thing is 1. no cable 2. only sometimes do i get a connection.. (yeah i leach.. gimme a break) so... it'd be nice for my phone (which is on my night stand next to my FACE) to blast some sort of alert... Any out there?!?!
    I suggest that you see if your local television stations are offering apps. Most of them in my area are, and you can get notification that way.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr Maxx
    The weather channel app does this, if you have a widget placed somewhere. It will put an alert in the notification bar and you can set it up to have an audible tone or vibrate as well. It is also based on your location.
    We have a weather radio and I get alerts through this app before my weather radio goes off.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

I suggest that you see if your local television stations are offering apps. Most of them in my area are, and you can get notification that way.
    I would, but i don't know the local stations since i don't have cable/tv/dish whatever you wanna call it...

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    The weather channel app does this, if you have a widget placed somewhere. It will put an alert in the notification bar and you can set it up to have an audible tone or vibrate as well. It is also based on your location.
    We have a weather radio and I get alerts through this app before my weather radio goes off.
    great i'll try that out.. i looked into some of the weather apps.. but i couldn't find any audible alerts.. thanks!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    weather channel app worked great! thanks!!!

Links