DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Mapping, old school

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Mapping, old school

To make a long story short, Google Maps just left me hanging in Las Vegas as I was rushing to drop off a rental car ... no, I don't think the rental car drop off is an apartment complex NORTH of the airport. I resolved my issue old school style with a paper map and road signs.

Having said that, and having read many mixed reviews of Google Maps, I dug around a little bit and downloaded Copilot, which appears to have dropped $10 in price to $19. Having done that, I am impressed with Copilot and have begun working with it. One quick impression is that it BURNS the battery rapidly unless plugged in. No huge surprise there, but I'm curious about what other users are doing for mapping. I do run a separate Garmin Nuvi most of the time, but it wasn't available in this case, and frankly, I've been toying with replacing it with the phone. Given the experience with Google Maps, I can't begin to trust Google maps to be the replacement.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Thanks for the heads-up on the price of the copilot. I just bought it. Like you, I am thinking of getting rid of my Garmin 750.

Thanks.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

A little embarrassing

After pointing out the drop in price for Copilot North America, I discovered that Copilot puts out an app (Copilot USA) that they are charging $4.99 for. It appears to have the same features, but limited to only the continental USA, as opposed to all of North America.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by harv2000 View Post
    One quick impression is that it BURNS the battery rapidly unless plugged in.
    It's not CoPilot. It's your GPS receiver.

No huge surprise there, but I'm curious about what other users are doing for mapping.
    I use Google Maps Nav and I've done so for over 3,000 miles. I did run into some issues with Verizon's lack of data coverage in part of Kentucky but it really wasn't a big deal IMO.

Given the experience with Google Maps, I can't begin to trust Google maps to be the replacement.
    You gotta go with what works for you. Just be aware that if you're using locally stored maps that you need to keep them up to date.
    Last edited by takeshi; 10-26-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Links