Seems as though there are 4 or 5 of these threads popping up every day. The annoyance of having double notifications for received SMS seems to be the biggest "complaint" about Handcent SMS. Here is a simple guide to make your life easier.
- Open the "messaging" from the app drawer
- Push the "menu" button(the 2nd button from left on the bottom of your Droid
- Click SETTINGS
- Scroll down and UNCHECK "Notifications"
- To futher disable the mssaging app you can UNCHECK " Auto-Retrieve"(this prevents the "Messaging" App from even downloading messages.
- Exit the app. Rejoice. Live long and Prosper. Yay!