DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Permissions explained?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Permissions explained?

Most apps require access to parts of your droid. Many require full network access. Example permissions:

Network Communication:
    full Internet access

Phone calls
    read phone calls and identity

System tools
    prevent phone from sleeping

What do these permissions really mean? In the case of phone calls, can they be collecting info on who is calling me or what it in my contacts?

Anyone have a list of all permissions? And what they mean?

What are some permissions that you will never agree to?

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    The permissions are just areas of the OS that the app needs access to to run. It's nothing to be concerned with
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 by Motorolla
    Actually, its everything to be concerned with.

Reading through the permissions of an app will give hints to whether or not it may contain malware. Unnecessary permissions are good indicators. When in doubt, don't install. You can delete malicious apps, and even reset your phone, but you can't undo the fact that someone's stolen your data.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    DNA, Bionic, Eris, zoom, A100
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    The permissions are just areas of the OS that the app needs access to to run. It's nothing to be concerned with
    i agree, this is nothing to be concerned about. if you happen to run across something like a solitaire app that needs access to your text messages, then don't download it. almost all free apps need access to internet because they are ad supported and need internet access to be able to run the ads.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Lightbulb Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by mamawm View Post
    i agree, this is nothing to be concerned about. if you happen to run across something like a solitaire app that needs access to your text messages, then don't download it. almost all free apps need access to internet because they are ad supported and need internet access to be able to run the ads.
    Your second sentence just proved your first sentence wrong.

Security is always a concern. I am even suspicious of some apps in Android Market.
    Allowing internet access for ad dollars is one thing, but why would a Wallpaper app from Android Market need Contact Read and Write permission?

Security professionals are still going around in circles trying to get a lasso around the neck of the app vetting process. While I agree that most apps are benign, bad things have, do and will happen.

Install an app called R U @ Risk and you will see that on some phones/OSes, GPS can be turned on without permission.

I trust Amazonís Appstore for Android more than Android Market - Android Market is curated by user/developer teamwork, which sounds good on the surface, but the developers just want their apps to market ASAP, and users just want the latest cool apps.
    Amazonís Appstore for Android is more fully inspected for security issues.

Go here for more info: Top 10 Android Security Risks - eSecurity Planet, and look for a security app like Lookout or something.

Good luck and watch yourselves

Links