DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiFi Tether App

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

WiFi Tether App

Looks like the free WiFi Tether app is being worked on for DROID support, since we can now root the DROID.

Link: Issue 205 - android-wifi-tether - Motorola Droid - Developing & Testing - Project Hosting on Google Code

Really hope this releases soon. I read one of the FAQ pages on PDANet that described having to configure an ad-hoc peer-to-peer connection to get wifi through the phone. Is that true, or can you simply enable a hotspot on the phone and use a computer to connect normally like any other hotspot/access point?

If that is true about PDANet, then using WiFi Tether will be so much easier, as the connect process on the computer is the same as when connecting to other wifi hotspots.

Sometimes my Home connection is screwed up some days and the damn DSL sync won't work all day. This would be great when I really need to do something important while my home network is down, or when im on vacation =]

Lets discuss other wifi applications here as well, and their different features. WiFi Tether seems to be the best and easiest to use for connecting via wifi. I'm not sure i it supports USB, so I might need to use PDANet for a USB connection (desktop pc with no wifi card)...

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I was able to get up and running on proxoid via USB but not able to access https sites.

I'd love to be able to connect through wifi. It would make the process very simple and wouldn't have to have the USB cable whenever I wanted to jump on the net and not at home.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic

WIFI Tether

I want this bad. I haven't rooted my phone yet, but would for this. There was a commerical app for wm. I can't recall what it was named and I can't seem to find it via google. Anybody have an idea of what it was called and if they are planning on a driod flavor. I'm thinking I'd pay for something over rooting (since it is a company phone)
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinson317 View Post
    I want this bad. I haven't rooted my phone yet, but would for this. There was a commerical app for wm. I can't recall what it was named and I can't seem to find it via google. Anybody have an idea of what it was called and if they are planning on a driod flavor. I'm thinking I'd pay for something over rooting (since it is a company phone)

Its called WMWIFIRouter (WMWifiRouter - Welcome) it looks like they are not going to create it for anything but WM. I am really hoping that someone will come out with something like this. I was running this prior to switching to the Droid and miss it badly.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    ive been using pdanet.. its a trial, but after 30 days, it only allows http access.. which is enough for me. very easy to set up, and ive been experiencing great performance with it. bout 400k download speeds through my laptop when connected. not perfect for all, but enough for me

edit to add: i should mention that ive been using pdanet on a non-rooted phone.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic

why wifi

PDAnet is a great product and I'm sure it works well (as it has in other formats over the years). I used to tether with my i760 and its a great way to go. In fact I never saw a use case for the wifi application until now. Now I have 2 kids with iPods and I'm thinking how nice it would be for them (agh me) that as I'm driving down the road they could through a wifi connection to the droid still have access to online content. So for me, I'm waiting for wifi hotspot application or hack, free tether solution, or finally jumping in with PDAnet. I don't have a pressing need yet, however, I feel a bit exposed without the tether solution that I had with my i760. Merry xMas eveyone!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID, Nexus One
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus: Sourcerized
    Is this like using your phone as an internet connection for your computer? Doesn't Verizon charge for this? Wouldn't this be against their policy?
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ROM: Team Sourcery!

10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic

WiFi

Whew...ready the thread where the procedure is defined to implement on a rooted phone. Not ready for that procedure yet. But I am watching that unfold. Maybe the restore image will get me to jump in.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastikk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinson317 View Post

Its called WMWIFIRouter (WMWifiRouter - Welcome) it looks like they are not going to create it for anything but WM. I am really hoping that someone will come out with something like this. I was running this prior to switching to the Droid and miss it badly.
    I've used it before. Pretty good software. There is a reason why it is only for WM. It is called WMWifiRouter heeheh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links