DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: NYTimes app removed from market?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question NYTimes app removed from market?

Last night I installed a custom ROM on my droid without doing a backup(dumb me). Anyway, today I've been going through and installing a lot of the apps I used to have but cant seem to find the NYTimes app that I used quite a bit. Anyone have any idea if they removed it for good? Or perhaps someplace I could download the apk? Thanks a lot.
  2. The GRD Dev Team
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    THEGRDDEVTEAM
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D Virgin Mobile
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Depending on what ROM YOU installed some apps are not there for some roms to download WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME IS SOMETHING CALLED the market fix or the market hack making your phone thinking it is running stock 2.1 android also in some cases this is also called the 2.1 fingerprint same as market hack/market fix

P.s just searched android market it is there for me

just search the marketfix/markethack/2.1 fingerprint an install/flash it without wipeing data & IT SHOULD BE THERE

i AM CURRENTLY RUNNING ANDROID 2.2 AKA fROYo ultimate droid rom
    WoZzY
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Running FRG22, I still see it. No custom ROM.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by WoZzY View Post
    Depending on what ROM YOU installed some apps are not there for some roms to download WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME IS SOMETHING CALLED the market fix or the market hack making your phone thinking it is running stock 2.1 android also in some cases this is also called the 2.1 fingerprint same as market hack/market fix

P.s just searched android market it is there for me

just search the marketfix/markethack/2.1 fingerprint an install/flash it without wipeing data & IT SHOULD BE THERE

i AM CURRENTLY RUNNING ANDROID 2.2 AKA fROYo ultimate droid rom
    Market fix worked like a charm, thanks a bunch Wozzy!
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Maybe they pulled it. Could be related to that "Google Removes Nazi and Hitler Theme from Android Market" thread.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    Maybe they pulled it. Could be related to that "Google Removes Nazi and Hitler Theme from Android Market" thread.
    If they didn't pull the FoxNews app, they certainly won't pull the New York Times application.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by I Saw OJ View Post
    Last night I installed a custom ROM on my droid without doing a backup(dumb me). Anyway, today I've been going through and installing a lot of the apps I used to have but cant seem to find the NYTimes app that I used quite a bit. Anyone have any idea if they removed it for good? Or perhaps someplace I could download the apk? Thanks a lot.
    Yes. That's very unsettling, when you install a ROM and suddenly can't find the apps you're used to seeing in the Market. The same thing happened to me: I became entirely impatient with Verizon's Froyo roll-out and decided to root my phone (using Easy Root -- fabulously easy to use, good job!) and Clockwork's Rom Manager (fabulously easy to use -- once again, good job!). I ended up using a "stock" Froyo FRG22 that I picked up from a link up here.

All was working without a hitch, or so I thought, but then I discovered that I couldn't find the New York Times app in the marketplace, along with several others that are discussed up here on the web, most notably the Skype app.

There are links dating back to June of 2010 to a "Market Fix," and I used Rom Manager to install that. Although that worked -- I was able to see the apps in the market that had been previously missing, I wasn't happy, that the Froyo build seemed like an interim issue. (Sorry, I forgot to write down the information as reported in the Build Number field in Android's settings screen).

Somewhere along the line, I decided to install the FRG01B ROM that Clockwork's ROM Manager makes available, and that seems to solve all my problems. I can find New York Times in my apps market, along with Skype, and the build is the one which seems to be currently pushed by Verizon. The only glitch was Swype, and that was fixed by uninstalling the program and then reinstalling using the Swype Installer that I kept on my phone (I'll gladly flesh that out, although it's been much discussed on this board and on the web, so that's probably unnecessary).

So -- the fix I'm suggesting is to flash the FRG01B that you'll find on ROM manager. My hunch is that this is the same code which Verizon pushed in the recent upgrade, although I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's found differences between the "official" version and this one.

Cheers,

jb
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid A855 LFY1.5 slayher 1250
    Titanium Backup.

I schedule regular backups. Wiping doesn't wipe the SD Card

It's saved my bacon a few times, and even backs up SMS/MMS.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    I upgraded to 2.2 leaked Froyo and NY times vanished. Bummer, b/c I don't see the APK in the Market (market fix doesn't work on non-rooted Droids) and the official NYTIMES apk doesn't seem to be posted everywhere. Guess I'll have to swing over to Fox. ;-)
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    +1

Links