DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Free LED Light App [MotoTorch]

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Free LED Light App [MotoTorch]

I stumbled upon a youtube clip after searching on google (using my DROID) that gave a video review of 2 LED light apps for the DROID. One was the common paid app for 99 cents we all know about, but then he reviewed a better and free app called MotoTorch.

It is completely free on the Market, although there is a donate version (which is exactly the same as the free one) for people who want to give the guy a buck. I'm personally considering buying it, since he was so nice to make a free one for all of us to use...and its better than the paid one!

It can turn your LED light on/off as you desire, strobe (a repeating blink pattern) and supports morse code (you type a message and it blinks the message using the LED light in morse code).

It also has a widget that you can place on your home screen to easily toggle the light on and off, excellent!

While the above features are a nice bonus, the real prize is being able to turn the LED light on while recording videos in the dark now!

It really is a shame that the phone doesn't come with an LED option for video recording. You would think that would be obvious? Anyway, thanks to the wonderful world of apps, we don't have to wait for Google, Verizon or whoever to give us this basic and much needed feature.

Enjoy everyone, and consider donating if you can!

WARNING: Frequent use of the LED light may result in a shorter life span of the LED light. I honestly don't think it should be a big problem if you plan on getting a new phone every 2 years (it should at least last that long). My last phone had a light on the back and it never died (and i used it all the time for video recording). I just wanted to let everyone know that. Also, the most likely reason it is not as bright as the "camera flash" is because leaving the LED light on for a long period of time at that brightness level would probably damage it. Since the camera only flashes for a second at that high brightness, its alright.

PS: feel free to edit my post with a QR code to make it easy to find the app in the market. I don't know how to make one and I'm a bit lazy right now, so just spend the 5 seconds to search for it
    Last edited by SwordOfWar; 12-03-2009 at 03:04 PM.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    lovin this app. thanks for the info.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Agreed. Great app. It's always nice to have the option of a small flashlight when needed.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    BIONIC
    I love it. Trying the free app, it seems the "dim screen" and widget features are not enabled.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    When traveling deep in to the abyss or wondering in to the depths of a dark cave..this app is very handy.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid!
    thank you for this. This app is very handy.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfWar View Post

While the above features are a nice bonus, the real prize is being able to turn the LED light on while recording videos in the dark now!
    THANKS for the awesome idea!!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Another great idea for you is this..

simply bust in to a bedroom when someone is sleeping in the middle of the night. the person will be in utter shock and blinded from the light.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Trever1t View Post
    I love it. Trying the free app, it seems the "dim screen" and widget features are not enabled.
    You can use those features if your screen brightness is set to automatic. Manually set the brightness and these options will be selectable. I think it also noted on the Market description page that those features do not work through the widget. Either way, its not really a big issue, and maybe we will get an improved version in a future update.

Personally, I just leave the auto brightness on. It doesn't bother me too much that the screen brightens when you use the LED in the dark. People get to see my beautiful face as I record them

Glad everyone is enjoying it. Whoever decided (or forgot) not to allow us to use the LED for video recording in the first place should get a good knock on the head!

Links