DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    What your task killer is showing as running is not what is actually running. It is, instead, showing what is loaded into memory, waiting to be used. As you even mention yourself, the OS will load up your memory so that apps it thinks you'll use are faster. So a full memory uses as much power as empty memory.

To find out why battery life is improved when running a task killer, you need to find the rogue app(s). The best/easiest way to do so is see what are the items using the most battery. Why? Because what is using the CPU is using the battery. The top items tend to be cell standby/display/android os. Others can be higher based on usage (it is a percentage-based metric after all).

Of course, turn off the meory management/task killers to get the most accurate view in the battery usage list. Once you/we know your top battery hogs, suggestions can be made for alternatives.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?
    Last edited by Martin030908; 03-14-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: quoted user was banned.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    SuperCharged Milestone
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    You can control androids built-in low memory management/task killing and customize it to your liking/needs....

SuperCharge Your Milestone and Droid! Tips, Tricks and Tweaks!
    Last edited by zeppelinrox; 03-20-2011 at 01:49 AM.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    hrdnhvy
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Advanced task killer is not opening the apps, those are the apps that have opened themselves, and that are running or that are sitting in wait in the background, u will find that u can not kill "forground" apps via a task killer & in most cases you dont want t to depending on the app & its role & what its going to do after u kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by sooma444 View Post
    I have advanced task killer but it opens apps i don't even use. the other ones are taskiller i was thinking about it because its useful and task panel is good but it takes up space. i heard of TaslkManager.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdnhvy View Post
    Advanced task killer is not opening the apps, those are the apps that have opened themselves, and that are running or that are sitting in wait in the background, u will find that u can not kill "forground" apps via a task killer & in most cases you dont want t to depending on the app & its role & what its going to do after u kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by sooma444 View Post
    I have advanced task killer but it opens apps i don't even use. the other ones are taskiller i was thinking about it because its useful and task panel is good but it takes up space. i heard of TaslkManager.
    To be more precise, you don't want to autokill apps at all. Hrdnhvy is correct, ATK is not opening apps on you, those apps are relaunching themselves after being killed.

The OS is designed to keep the memory fairly full, so that if you want to use an app, there's a good chance it is already in memory and will load faster (look up Windows and prefetching if you want a computer-based explanation). Any apps you autokill will just be restarted so they can be used (and yes, this includes apps you never use because one day it may be needed or it is tied into other apps that you're using).

Notice I keep saying autokill? That is bad, because you can get into a cycle where you kill an app, it launches itself, it gets killed and on and on. Some apps need to be autokilled, however they are badly programmed and should be replaced/upgraded ASAP. For the few times that an app goes bonkers, you can manually kill it in settings (or just reboot the phone).

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    DROIDX
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellj View Post
    ... Notice I keep saying autokill? That is bad, because you can get into a cycle where you kill an app, it launches itself, it gets killed and on and on.
    This can occur under low-memory conditions caused by memory/resource leaks, and not always caused by 3rd party task killers. I replicated it here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ml#post1331045

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    SuperCharged Milestone
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    I posted earlier about it but i made a big update.
    I fixed memory management problems by rearranging groupings and app priorities...

[Script]V6 SuperCharger !! HTK & BulletProof Launchers! FIX MEMORY FOR ALL ANDROIDS! - xda-developers

With real memory management... say buh bye to minfree managers that always stay in memory... plus fix OOM groupings...

Also, you can use your own settings.
    Use the 3rd slot to set how much free memory that you want

Before...

After...

During....

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
    Blazing Fast Milestone Powered by my V6 SuperCharger Script

If you're a SuperCharger too, consider clicking the button
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    En..Have got a new phone. I know that Task Kill is to shut down apps unresponsive. I am wondering is it OK not to install this one. Do you know other ways to end an app unresponsive?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Post Battery and Task Kill

Quote Originally Posted by harrellj View Post
    What your task killer is showing as running is not what is actually running. It is, instead, showing what is loaded into memory, waiting to be used. As you even mention yourself, the OS will load up your memory so that apps it thinks you'll use are faster. So a full memory uses as much power as empty memory.

To find out why battery life is improved when running a task killer, you need to find the rogue app(s). The best/easiest way to do so is see what are the items using the most battery. Why? Because what is using the CPU is using the battery. The top items tend to be cell standby/display/android os. Others can be higher based on usage (it is a percentage-based metric after all).

Of course, turn off the meory management/task killers to get the most accurate view in the battery usage list. Once you/we know your top battery hogs, suggestions can be made for alternatives.

Now i know that there is something to do with battery. You mean that making a good use of Task Kill can save the battery , right?
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Twitter
    rom1966
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

Task Killer Fix

This would be a mute issue if devs were required to included an "Exit" option on all their applications...
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    BODHl
    Phone
    Rooted Droid X2
    Good read! Great Info, Thanks All!
    Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me.

~ Ski-U-Ma! ~
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Links