DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i dont use any task-killing apps out there. my battery lasts about 1.5 days of heavy use. the phone manages memory and battery fine. with my first droid i owned, i used a task-killing app and my battery lifespan sucked and my phone always had issues going on. plus, over half the apps you just killed with be back on/open by android naturally.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by geetarspaz View Post
    i dont use any task-killing apps out there. my battery lasts about 1.5 days of heavy use. the phone manages memory and battery fine. with my first droid i owned, i used a task-killing app and my battery lifespan sucked and my phone always had issues going on. plus, over half the apps you just killed with be back on/open by android naturally.
    Some task killers/managers have other legitimate uses unlike the useless/detrimental "automatic" task killing feature.
  3. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX HD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Great information here! I must admit I use an "auto-kill all" widget. I was told when I first got the phone (by another Droid user) that an app killer was an absolute necessity. So, I have become very OCD-like when it comes to tapping that widget.
    After reading this I am going to try and control my obsession and monitor my phones performance/battery life and see how it goes! This may be a tough detox, but I can do it - I know I can!!!

RETIRED THEMER
    (Check out my Droid 1 themes - click here)

4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I had actually been told by the Verizon manager of the rep I bought the phone from that a task killer was a must have. After reading through this, I am also going to start scaling back on my obsessive app killing and deactivate the auto-kill -- A lot of what's being said makes sense.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTiger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geetarspaz View Post
    Some task killers/managers have other legitimate uses unlike the useless/detrimental "automatic" task killing feature.
    This is true.

The Auto-Kill is the true evil.... avoid it like the plague.

Obsessively 'killing' apps is second on the list

Continue to work on the addiction people... you'll overcome
  6. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X 2.1
    That doesn't make a bit of sense? So why does the apps keeping back on their own? have never gotten a satifactory answer on that question..
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Exclamation

Look at what Apps appear in the list, the things that you use on a regular basis, as if they're waiting for you to use them. It's a smart phone.

The designers, they're not lying, really.

*Put down the Task Killer and back away ...
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon3463 View Post
    That doesn't make a bit of sense? So why does the apps keeping back on their own? have never gotten a satifactory answer on that question..
    It is the way that the OS handles processes. Activity | Android Developers will probably give you the best amount of information on it. Application Fundamentals | Android Developers is more in-depth and FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android explains it in English rather than tech :P There's also http://android-developers.blogspot.c...droid-way.html which is closer to tech than English, but still an interesting read.
    Last edited by harrellj; 08-14-2010 at 11:52 PM.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon3463 View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but the stock apps load into memory to give the user a faster user experience. For example, Maps loads into memory so that it is ready quickly when the user needs it. Please note that apps sitting idly in memory basically use no CPU/battery so don't worry about them. If android needs more memory, it will quickly clear itself some space.

That being said, when done with Maps return to your home screen so that the GPS shuts off. When done with Navigation, choose Exit from the menu so that GPS turns off. Some apps you install will keep running and use resources, but these are the 2 stock apps that seem to need special treatment.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i used to also kill apps, but not so much anymore. i can still only get about 10 hours battery life, tho im texting a lot and surfing the net.

when i go to see what drains my battery the most, its always the display with an over-whelming percentage, and thats with the brightness on 0.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Links