DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    How do I change facebook to update less, and gmail, I think they are hurting my battery
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Gmail doesn't use much battery power...unless you get hundreds or thousands of emails a day.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    You can update he frequency for facebook in the app itself. Open up facebook via the app and go into the settings in it. There will be a spot to change it there. I get angry how some stock widgets don't have an option to change the update frequency honestly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Droid x running Libery 3 RC 1.1
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    droid
    That's the whole point. The longest frequency of the MLB app is one minute. Its an imperfect app like all apps. It's pollyanna for Google to expect every app will conform to that standard without market control. Therefore we should be able to kill apps with ease.

Google is walking down the Apple trail on this one.
    Last edited by pilot25; 08-21-2010 at 08:10 PM.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot25 View Post
    That's the whole point. The longest frequency of the MLB app is one minute. Its an imperfect app like all apps. It's pollyanna for Google to expect every app will conform to that standard without market control. Therefore we should be able to kill apps with ease.

I hear what you're saying, but by doing this google is also forcing app developers to create better software. It's heavy-handed, I agree, but if devs can't get it together people will complain and we should end up with decently designed apps. Kind of a risky, daring, brilliant move in a way, no?

They're forcing devs to step up to the plate and I support the move. Heck, I already have a very low tolerance for crap running on my phone. Anything that makes apps better is welcome.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by aminaked View Post
    There's no need to kill stuff sitting idly in memory. It isn't using CPU/battery. Android keeps stuff in memory so it's available quickly when you need it.

However, if the browser is set to a page that reloads or tracks you with GPS (the google home page) then it would be best to close out those pages...but there's no need to kill the process.

Treat the symptom: kill tasks
    Treat the cause: close the browser window that's causing the issue

Treat the symptom: kill tasks
    Treat the cause: uninstall problem apps and contact the dev
    I agree with your solutions but that does not work for things like the browser.
    Just yesterday I went to a web site. Closed out, played games, took pics and other stuff. Phone was running slow and I happened to click on the browser and it still had the same dam page open (CNN) and it had refreshed during the time I had not been using it. Not good.
    Also there is a permissions issue in Android that puts progs in memory that have never been used. That is not a good thing despite it being a good prep for progs you do use.
    Corp Calender in memory when I have never opened it, not right. I use task killer to stop things like the browser issue when it happens. When I want to clear up some memory for a game and yes it does run better after clearing.

I do not how ever run any auto kill stuff. That is detrimental to the performance of the phone.

Before you bash me and tell me I don't know what I am talking about I am a systems admin and have everything from linux clients to servers. I also dig into Android itself despite not being a rooter.
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    There are 2 ways to use ATK

1) Ignore all apps
    2) Uninstall ATK
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon8Ya View Post
    I agree with your solutions but that does not work for things like the browser.
    Just yesterday I went to a web site. Closed out, played games, took pics and other stuff. Phone was running slow and I happened to click on the browser and it still had the same dam page open (CNN) and it had refreshed during the time I had not been using it. Not good.
    Also there is a permissions issue in Android that puts progs in memory that have never been used. That is not a good thing despite it being a good prep for progs you do use.
    Corp Calender in memory when I have never opened it, not right. I use task killer to stop things like the browser issue when it happens. When I want to clear up some memory for a game and yes it does run better after clearing.

I do not how ever run any auto kill stuff. That is detrimental to the performance of the phone.

Before you bash me and tell me I don't know what I am talking about I am a systems admin and have everything from linux clients to servers. I also dig into Android itself despite not being a rooter.
    Whatever works for you is fine. Every once in a while, I kill a rogue task. As far as the browser goes, I use Dolphin HD. It is easy to close a tab with one tap or just exit the browser when done by using it's Exit button. Closing the "windows" in the stock browser is a bit more of a pain so I see why you might just kill the task.

As far as corporate calendar running, it really annoyed me when I first got my Droid, but then I realized that it was just sitting idly in memory. Android seems smart enough to kill stuff as needed, so now I don't worry about stock apps that load up. Besides, if I task kill them, the OS just ends up spending resources to load the app again. The best way to deal with that crap is to root and rename or delete the app.

That being said, some of those stock apps seem to need to run. For example, I think if you kill the Email app or the Google Talk service, you'll end up not getting Email and see other problems.

When I say "don't kill tasks" I'm trying to:
    -save battery because the OS doesn't have to constantly restart apps like Corporate Calendar. Plus, an auto killer uses resources just by having to run in the background.
    -avoid problems like not getting Email after killing the wrong thing
    -not waste time by clicking a task killing widget 50 times/day. Let the OS handle it.

The moral: Try it both ways. See what works best for you.
    Last edited by aminaked; 08-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot25 View Post

The developer should "know better" than to have the
    highest available setting at 1minute?

I agree with that statement.
    The MLB app should be able to be killed at any time
    without it affecting other apps or even the Android OS itself.

Google will only intervene if an app is considered malicious
    on a mass scale. The guy charges $15, we should have a say
    in further development.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    droid
    I agree but their communication of how this works has been slow metered and pathetic. They needed to do this from day one and they haven't. So instead they "Appleize" their devices to our suffering.

I hope you are right and devs respond quickly.
    Last edited by pilot25; 08-23-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Links