DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: WaveSecure

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by 928Droid View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me, great news about the US SMS..

BUT there is a BIG problem when using the Command Pin!!

WARNING FOR THOSE USING SMS POP-UP APPS!

I just sent a txt with my wife's phone using the Command "Secure Lock xxxxxx(pin number)" AND it locked the phone but since I have an SMS pop up app the text message also popped up on the Wave Secure lock screen WITH MY PIN # IN PLAIN VIEW!!!

SO, I indeed locked my phone and just gave the "thief" my PIN NUMBER!!!

Need to to take this "Command Pin" back to the drawing board for some tweaks!
    Hi 928Droid,
    Thank you for raising this up and giving us a chance to explain. The reason you brought up is exactly why we introduced SMS Command PIN in WaveSecure.

When you send SMS commands from another phone, the message will be in plain text. To prevent the original PIN from being compromised, WaveSecure now lets you specify a SMS Command PIN to prevent the thief from getting your original PIN.

The SMS command PIN only works for lock, locate and wipe. Therefore, even when the thief got to know your SMS PIN, he will not be able to unlock the phone.

Also, the WaveSecure lock screen only accepts the original PIN, not the SMS Command PIN. This way, even if the thief gains access to your SMS Command PIN, there is no way for him to unlock the phone.

Alternately, you can just use our secure site and not worry about SMS Command PIN.

Hope that clear things up.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com
    Last edited by cheewee; 01-14-2010 at 11:27 PM.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    You can also set your texts to not show up on your lock screen, it is a setting in handcent.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    ^^^ Ah, thank you very much for the explanation.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD View Post
    You can also set your texts to not show up on your lock screen, it is a setting in handcent.
    Thanks for the input LakeMountD. Personally, I think it is good practice to not have your message show up when your phone is locked. Kind of defeats the purpose of a lock in the first place.
  5. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Phone
    Motor Droid & Droid Eris
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewee View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me, great news about the US SMS..

BUT there is a BIG problem when using the Command Pin!!

WARNING FOR THOSE USING SMS POP-UP APPS!

I just sent a txt with my wife's phone using the Command "Secure Lock xxxxxx(pin number)" AND it locked the phone but since I have an SMS pop up app the text message also popped up on the Wave Secure lock screen WITH MY PIN # IN PLAIN VIEW!!!

SO, I indeed locked my phone and just gave the "thief" my PIN NUMBER!!!

Need to to take this "Command Pin" back to the drawing board for some tweaks!
    Hi 928Droid,
    Thank you for raising this up and giving us a chance to explain. The reason you brought up is exactly why we introduced SMS Command PIN in WaveSecure.

When you send SMS commands from another phone, the message will be in plain text. To prevent the original PIN from being compromised, WaveSecure now lets you specify a SMS Command PIN to prevent the thief from getting your original PIN.

The SMS command PIN only works for lock, locate and wipe. Therefore, even when the thief got to know your SMS PIN, he will not be able to unlock the phone.

Also, the WaveSecure lock screen only accepts the original PIN, not the SMS Command PIN. This way, even if the thief gains access to your SMS Command PIN, there is no way for him to unlock the phone.

Alternately, you can just use our secure site and not worry about SMS Command PIN.

Hope that clear things up.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com

Understand, and that makes sense, but it should be made clearer to everyone going forward the ramifications if you don't set and use the secondary Command Pin when sending text commands.

I still think some thought into a way to "scramble" or mask the Pin # as it is recieved would be a better solution. You guys are obviously very good a what you do, I know the brian trust at Wave Secure can come up with a more secure solution!
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Phone
    Motor Droid & Droid Eris
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD View Post
    Kind of defeats the whole purpose of having popups. Most people that have programs that popup on the lock screen use this to determine if it is important enough to unlock the screen and reply...or not.

FYI, not all SMS pop up programs have the lock screen option.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Understand, and that makes sense, but it should be made clearer to everyone going forward the ramifications if you don't set and use the secondary Command Pin when sending text commands.

I still think some thought into a way to "scramble" or mask the Pin # as it is recieved would be a better solution. You guys are obviously very good a what you do, I know the brian trust at Wave Secure can come up with a more secure solution!
    Hi 928Droid,
    We've posted it on our blog.

Actually, WaveSecure is already able to intercept text messages for Windows Mobile and Symbian platforms so this isn't a problem. For Android, it is currently not possible to implement. Hence, the need to introduce this until the platform allows us to do so.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com
  8. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Phone
    Motor Droid & Droid Eris
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewee View Post

Hi 928Droid,
    We've posted it on our blog.

Actually, WaveSecure is already able to intercept text messages for Windows Mobile and Symbian platforms so this isn't a problem. For Android, it is currently not possible to implement. Hence, the need to introduce this until the platform allows us to do so.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com
    Thanks again.

Here is another tidbit of info (in case you don't already know it). When I Secure Lock my wife's Eris , none of the "hard" buttons (home/back/menu/search) do anything , BUT when my Droid is "locked" I can press the "Home" button and get into the phone for a few seconds. Sure, not long enough to do anything, but it is a start.

Must be a 1.5 vs 2.0.1 OS difference?
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Just received my bill and got charged 20 cents for each of the 37 SMS that came in when I was playing with the app.BE WARNED!

Quote Originally Posted by atlharry View Post
    umm... Do we get charged for incoming international texts? I will have to check that on my next bill. Until then, it's back to Lookout!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Supposedly, they don't send international texts to US users anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by relmers View Post
    Just received my bill and got charged 20 cents for each of the 37 SMS that came in when I was playing with the app.BE WARNED!

Quote Originally Posted by atlharry View Post
    umm... Do we get charged for incoming international texts? I will have to check that on my next bill. Until then, it's back to Lookout!
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Links