DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Google Voice: making phone calls?

  1. Master Droid
    papy72's Avatar
    Member #
    843
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    348
    Phone
    Droooid
    #1

    Google Voice: making phone calls?

    Just looking for the opinions of the general populace regarding GV calls.

    Do you have it set to make all of your calls with it?

    How does it work? Does the phone use your cell radio to call a GV server, which then routes the call to the recipient? Or is it a call over your 3G network? I ask this because when I try to use GV to make my calls it seems as though it enjoys dropping calls on me, and I was wondering if it might be the 3G coverage in the area I'm using it at.
    We are The Droid.
    Lower your and surrender your .
    We will add your biological distinctiveness to our own.
    Your culture will adapt to service us.

    Resistance is futile
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Master Droid
    validoption's Avatar
    Member #
    48190
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    339
    Phone
    Droid
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by papy72 View Post
    Just looking for the opinions of the general populace regarding GV calls.

    Do you have it set to make all of your calls with it?

    How does it work? Does the phone use your cell radio to call a GV server, which then routes the call to the recipient? Or is it a call over your 3G network? I ask this because when I try to use GV to make my calls it seems as though it enjoys dropping calls on me, and I was wondering if it might be the 3G coverage in the area I'm using it at.
    I have it set to not make any calls, but I keep the toggle shortcut handy so I can activate it when I need it. I use it primarily when I am making a call that I don't want my cell number revealed during. It's the number I typically give my students' parents, or use when contacting them.

    I also have my GV set as my default voicemail for the free visual voicemail, though the transcriptions sometimes leave much to be desired--but I don't have another app to compare it to.

    It is not data based.

    Sent from my Droid
  4. Master Droid
    validoption's Avatar
    Member #
    48190
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    339
    Phone
    Droid
    #3
    Another reason I don't use it for all calls is because the majority of people I do call are all VZW customers, so why waste minutes on what would be a free M2M call?

    Sent from my Droid
  5. Junior Droid
    ntxct's Avatar
    Member #
    80490
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    23
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus CDMA
    #4
    From my experience (and sheer guessing, no real evidence) GV dials out to a local number that I imagine is a server google owns. It then dials to the person/number you wanted to while masking the original number you dialed with the GV number you chose.

    Now if you have Family and Friends on your Verizon account, you can write down the number GV originally dials and add it to the F&F list, thus every call is free.

    However I recently went on vacation and noticed GV was calling a different server number, so the number may be based on your location.. cell towers, closest google server, etc...

    Once again, this is all my hypothesis on how it works and I have no real data to back it up :-(
  6. Senior Droid
    masters's Avatar
    Member #
    1507
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    94565
    Posts
    195
    Phone
    Droid1 -> X2
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxct View Post
    From my experience (and sheer guessing, no real evidence) GV dials out to a local number that I imagine is a server google owns. It then dials to the person/number you wanted to while masking the original number you dialed with the GV number you chose.

    Now if you have Family and Friends on your Verizon account, you can write down the number GV originally dials and add it to the F&F list, thus every call is free.

    However I recently went on vacation and noticed GV was calling a different server number, so the number may be based on your location.. cell towers, closest google server, etc...

    Once again, this is all my hypothesis on how it works and I have no real data to back it up :-(
    Just adding your GV number to friends and family works..
  7. Junior Droid
    ntxct's Avatar
    Member #
    80490
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    23
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus CDMA
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxct View Post
    From my experience (and sheer guessing, no real evidence) GV dials out to a local number that I imagine is a server google owns. It then dials to the person/number you wanted to while masking the original number you dialed with the GV number you chose.

    Now if you have Family and Friends on your Verizon account, you can write down the number GV originally dials and add it to the F&F list, thus every call is free.

    However I recently went on vacation and noticed GV was calling a different server number, so the number may be based on your location.. cell towers, closest google server, etc...

    Once again, this is all my hypothesis on how it works and I have no real data to back it up :-(
    Just adding your GV number to friends and family works..
    You're probably right however Im just curious since (no these arent real) if my GV number is 386 232 9293. When I dial out to someone, the screen says, calling via 386 542 1843, so it's not dialing my GV number but a separate one entirely.
  8. Master Droid
    tommyz's Avatar
    Member #
    2256
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    268
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Verizon Thunderbolt
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by validoption View Post

    I have it set to not make any calls, but I keep the toggle shortcut handy so I can activate it when I need it.

    It is not data based.

    Sent from my Droid
    What "toggle shortcut" are you refering too?

    I only wish you could do something in your contacts, so Google Voice would automatically dial with or without GV.
    Tom
  9. Droid Sensei
    takeshi's Avatar
    Member #
    10236
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,600
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by papy72 View Post
    Just looking for the opinions of the general populace regarding GV calls.

    Do you have it set to make all of your calls with it?
    Not sure why you're collecting opinions. What you need to do is determine how you intend to use it rather than use it based on the most popular options.

    All calls are placed via GV for me. My GV number is the only number I give out. That really has no relevance on your wants/needs unless they just happen to coincide with my own.

    Quote Originally Posted by papy72 View Post
    How does it work? Does the phone use your cell radio to call a GV server, which then routes the call to the recipient? Or is it a call over your 3G network? I ask this because when I try to use GV to make my calls it seems as though it enjoys dropping calls on me, and I was wondering if it might be the 3G coverage in the area I'm using it at.
    Gv does use data but all calls are placed (and received) using voice minutes.

    Quote Originally Posted by validoption View Post
    Another reason I don't use it for all calls is because the majority of people I do call are all VZW customers, so why waste minutes on what would be a free M2M call?
    Add the access number (not the same as your GV number) GV uses to F&F and all outbound calls are free. You can use a workaround for free inbound calls but it's not really worth it IMO as you lose caller ID -- though I guess you could use call presentation instead. Your F&F list and M2M minutes still apply on all inbound calls as long as you don't change the GV caller ID setting.

    Quote Originally Posted by ntxct View Post
    Now if you have Family and Friends on your Verizon account, you can write down the number GV originally dials and add it to the F&F list, thus every call is free.
    That is incorrect unless you do one of the following:

    • Use an app that dials out on your GV number
    • Modify all your contacts so they all dial out via your GV number
    • Manually dial out on your GV number for all calls

    You'd also need to use the caller ID trick to get free inbound calls as the above is only germane to inbound calls.

    PLEASE refer to the other GV threads and guides. This has been discussed quite a bit and there's quite a bit of information available both here and elsewhere on the net.

    If in doubt, test and then check your usage to confirm.

    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Just adding your GV number to friends and family works..
    Also incorrect -- see above. GV by itself doesn't dial out using your GV number. Nor do your contacts call from your GV number.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-10-2010 at 09:12 AM.
  10. Junior Droid
    ntxct's Avatar
    Member #
    80490
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    23
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus CDMA
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxct View Post
    Now if you have Family and Friends on your Verizon account, you can write down the number GV originally dials and add it to the F&F list, thus every call is free.
    That is incorrect unless you do one of the following:

    • Use an app that dials out on your GV number
    • Modify all your contacts so they all dial out via your GV number
    • Manually dial out on your GV number for all calls

    You'd also need to use the caller ID trick to get free inbound calls as the above is only germane to inbound calls.

    PLEASE refer to the other GV threads and guides. This has been discussed quite a bit and there's quite a bit of information available both here and elsewhere on the net.

    If in doubt, test and then check your usage to confirm.
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I meant that outbound calls would be free, and as the way I have it set up, my verizon number is a Michigan area code, however I live in Florida now and have a Fl GV number. So I have the option of "always ask when calling", so when I press a contact to dial out, it opens the "Call with Google Voice / Call without Google Voice" options and then I decide what number to call from. Just wanted to clear it up as your list of options made it sound as its a chore to use GV.
  11. Droid Sensei
    takeshi's Avatar
    Member #
    10236
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,600
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #10
    Hope my tone wasn't too negative. I was just trying to clarify as many people find GV very confusing. It's really not too difficult if you sit down and think on it a bit.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Google Voice Free Calls?
    By Jages16 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 09:06 AM
  2. Foward google voice calls
    By Dejuanxg in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 09:36 AM
  3. Issue making phone calls(delay), anyone experiencing something similar?
    By acturbo in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
  4. Making calls through Google Voice?
    By MobileDroid in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 12:16 PM
  5. Phone Making Calls Arbitrarily
    By Oh! One Eleven in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Search tags for this page

android shortcut to call without google voice
,

does google voice waste your minutes

,
google voice the number or code you dialed is incorrect
,
google voice the number or code you have dialed is incorrect
,
how to make calls with google voice on verizon network
,
make call google voice android
,
making calls with google voice verizon
,
the number or code you dialed is incorrect google voice
,
the number or code you dialed is incorrect verizon
,

the number or code you have dialed is incorrect google voice

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+