DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Banned Apps

Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid [Rooted]

Banned Apps

I noticed that quite a few apps are banned or they have trouble connecting to their remote servers. There have been many apps banned such as the Caller ID app (which I forgot the name), the old TubeDownloader, etc. What I have noticed is that many of the APKs are floating around on third party forums and/or filesharing networks.

Is there any place to find said apps and the reason for their ban?

And does anyone remember the name of the awesome caller id app?

Sent from my Droid running Simply Stunning @ 1GHz

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Simply Stunning 4.8
    I was thinking about this same thing... I have an app on my phone called "Music Junk" and it was a huge app (>250,000 for a long time) and it disappeared on the market. It is still functional on my phone, as the search engines it uses are public. My question is how can i get the APK off of my phone. My friend wants the app and it is a free app, and therefore isn't against the rules of this forum or of Google's Terms of Service to get the APK, and therefore help would be appreciated.

To OP: Sorry for asking a question on your thread, but it is a similar problem, and the answer to this could answer both of our questions.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Boardwalk30 View Post
    I was thinking about this same thing... I have an app on my phone called "Music Junk" and it was a huge app (>250,000 for a long time) and it disappeared on the market. It is still functional on my phone, as the search engines it uses are public. My question is how can i get the APK off of my phone. My friend wants the app and it is a free app, and therefore isn't against the rules of this forum or of Google's Terms of Service to get the APK, and therefore help would be appreciated.

To OP: Sorry for asking a question on your thread, but it is a similar problem, and the answer to this could answer both of our questions.
    I guess u can find the app on the phone using root explorer or something like it, then move it to the SD card then connect ur phone to ur PC and move the app to ur PC then to the other phone. ive never tried it but i think i would work.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjariel View Post

I guess u can find the app on the phone using root explorer or something like it, then move it to the SD card then connect ur phone to ur PC and move the app to ur PC then to the other phone. ive never tried it but i think i would work.
    I searched for APK with Astro (I bought root explorer, but un-rooted myself because my power button is wearing out and i might need to replace my phone) and it came up with all the APKs for the stock apps. I can't seem to find anything on the app... Do i have to be rooted perhaps to get the APK?
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic

Use Titanium Backup or a similar backup program, it will back up all your apps to your SD card as APK files.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by dbutters View Post

Use Titanium Backup or a similar backup program, it will back up all your apps to your SD card as APK files.

Haha! It Worked! Thank you so much! I love this forum and it's members!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by RagtimeBenji View Post
    I noticed that quite a few apps are banned or they have trouble connecting to their remote servers. There have been many apps banned such as the Caller ID app (which I forgot the name), the old TubeDownloader, etc. What I have noticed is that many of the APKs are floating around on third party forums and/or filesharing networks.

The guy who made the caller Id app has been sued.
    Can remember exactly what happen but looks like that app was already out by some company.

Any way I think thatís the reason why the app is not available any more.
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RagtimeBenji View Post

Just so we are clear requesting links for any warez is against forum rules. This Caller ID is in a grey area, however if I link is posted to an area that carries warez such link would be removed.

Request for APK for Music Junk is not allowed. The reason it was taken off the market was because it's considered stealing music so we do not allow that here in the Droid Forums.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  10. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    This Caller ID is in a grey area, however if I link is posted to an area that carries warez such link would be removed.

Not a Grey area the Developer was served a C&D court order to comply in taking it off the market.

And as Hook has touched on, Appz or Warez here will get you a Vacation.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    This Caller ID is in a grey area, however if I link is posted to an area that carries warez such link would be removed.

Not a Grey area the Developer was served a C&D court order to comply in taking it off the market.

And as Hook has touched on, Appz or Warez here will get you a Vacation.
    The reason for this is the misuse and abuse made by many people. While it can be a fun joke to play on a friend from time to time, that type of app has been used to call police and fire stations reporting certain things happening (when in fact nothing was happening). There was a story on this a couple months back, i'm quite sure that has alittle to do with why this app is no longer around.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware

Links