DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cruise ship heading, speed, etc

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr Maxx

Cruise ship heading, speed, etc

I'm going to be going on a cruise in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has experience with any apps to see speed, heading, etc.
    At the moment I plan on using GPS status to see this information unless anyone has recommendations otherwise
    Since it is $20 or so per mb for data roaming on cruise ships my data will be off, so I know I won't be able to use maps to see where we are.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    See my sig, silly!
    I don't remember the details but I know there's a thread here about someone getting an astronomical charge on their phone bill while on a cruise and evidently didn't even make a call.

Good luck, have fun!
    Droid Razr
    Custom Dialers for D1
    My broken glass icons: Broken Icons | Android Logo Icons (in progress): Android Icons

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim #777 View Post
    I don't remember the details but I know there's a thread here about someone getting an astronomical charge on their phone bill while on a cruise and evidently didn't even make a call.

Good luck, have fun!
    lol yeah... GPS still works while in airplane mode so my phone is going to be in airplane mode the entire trip to avoid that.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    lol yeah... GPS still works while in airplane mode so my phone is going to be in airplane mode the entire trip to avoid that.
    Haven't tested this myself but I've heard that 3G needs to be on for the Droid to get its initial fix. Apparently, while it can fall back to standalone it needs 3G on (whether data is available or not) for the initial fix.

Been meaning to test this myself since it would be simple to do but just haven't had a chance yet.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    At the moment I plan on using GPS status to see this information unless anyone has recommendations otherwise
    I recall seeing a GPS speedometer app that might do what you're looking for if you're just looking for instantaneous information. If you want to track the ship, My Tracks should do the job.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    As I found out in Japan, 3G does *NOT* have to be on to get an initial gps fix. The CDMA voice radio has to be on, not the data radio. Once you have that initial gps fix, you can flip airplane mode on.

Here's some info I posted on another forum to show how to disable the data, but leave the cdma voice radio active:
    Motorola support says GPS won't work in airplane mode? - Android Forums
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Maybe use MapDroyd...and see if you can download sea charts instead of just state maps? I use it sometimes for offline maps and it works pretty good. The maps are on SD card too which is nice.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Maverick Pro is another one that works with offline maps, I've had good luck with it traveling. I make the offline maps using mobile atlas creator. Mapdroyd might be easier to make maps for, not sure.

Rmaps is another one I believe. Lots of options for offline maps.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Yeah mapdroid just downloads maps...not sure if they have ocean maps...your way might work better
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Ok in the downloads it list's all the carribean islands and also under the Americas a "detailed shoreline" that one is a 120 meg download...not sure how far out it goes.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    I can not help, but please post back if you find a solution. I would be interested

On my cruise last summer (pre-Droid) I took my car GPS. It gave me long/lat and speed with an obviously blank screen for maps. We left port at 4pm, first thing the next morning I got the fix with my GPS. I looked at the Nav chart that was on the wall outside of the fan tail dinning area just before breakfast. Finding the long/lat on the chart, I was telling my wife, we should be close enough to see Cuba shortly. From over my shoulder some guy told me I was full of BS and there is no way we made it that far over night, cruise ships are slow. As if on que we heard... this is your Captain speaking, if you look off the port side you will see the coast line of Cuba...
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links