DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruise ship heading, speed, etc

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    you might want to look at navionics in the market
    Droid X SSX1.1 (me)
    Droid 1 SS5.4 1ghz lv Incinerated (son #1)
    Droid 1 SS5.4 1ghz lv (son #2)
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Check out Backcountry Navigator. It's not in the market, but there's a beta apk on their website. Open it up when you have data and use it to download topo maps of the areas you're expecting to go. Then when you go on the cruise, put the droid in airplane mode and turn on the GPS. You should be able to see where you are on the map and track your progress without needing any data.

This thread is worth taking a look at:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...tml#post408901

Apparently if you have airplane mode activated, you can't get the initial GPS lock, but once you have a lock, you can keep it activated in airplane mode. Alternatively, you can disable JUST the data usage using the code mentioned.
    Last edited by Se7enLC; 06-03-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid
    this has :dewmed: written all over it... but other than the 'cool factor' of doing this.... is there a point. I mean, I like the apps I have too, but considering how many boobies are going to be sunning while you are trying to see which direction the ship is going...

of course, if you take pics of said boobies on your droid....
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr Maxx
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them out. Thanks everyone. We have a car gps as well that we might take along to try out if we have nothing better to do while lounging around. But its a Dash Express... I don't even think it has canadian maps and since Dash was bought out awhile ago there has been absolutely no support or updates to the device; it might as well be trashed, but maybe it will still give us speed.

Quote Originally Posted by mcatdtDroid View Post
    this has :dewmed: written all over it... but other than the 'cool factor' of doing this.... is there a point. I mean, I like the apps I have too, but considering how many boobies are going to be sunning while you are trying to see which direction the ship is going...

of course, if you take pics of said boobies on your droid....
    This is a canadian cruise, from nyc couple stops in canada, so I'm not anticipating too much of this at least not as much as a caribbean cruise lol. It's not even going to reach 70 up there this week, maybe it will be different in a few weeks, we shall see but it would be a bit nipply for sunbathing on the sky deck out at sea if the temps don't get higher. Although the dance club has potential because of this!
    It's going to mainly a relaxation and exploration cruise. Went to panama last year, a beach is a beach so trying something different this year can't wait to go whale watching in halifax!
    Last edited by monkeydog; 06-03-2010 at 11:14 AM.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    804-723-7807
    I have downloaded Mobile Atlas Creator and created a TileStore/Mapnik folder with a bunch of .png files on my C:\ drive (I selected scale 12 for the whole of the US) Exactly where do I place these .png files on my Droid please?
    I have tried several locations with no off line success.
    Thanks for you help.
    Regards.......david
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    I'm going to be going on a cruise in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has experience with any apps to see speed, heading, etc.
    At the moment I plan on using GPS status to see this information unless anyone has recommendations otherwise
    Since it is $20 or so per mb for data roaming on cruise ships my data will be off, so I know I won't be able to use maps to see where we are.

Did you check with verizon to see if this particular cruise line/ship is covered by the international data plan? I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise in June and my ship was , so I got unlimited data while I was on the ship & the islands for about 1.15$ a day (Plan is an extra 35$ a month and they prorate it for however long you have it activated)
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    ZP Dashboard might have what you want. It's more of a head's up display type thing. But gives bearing speed, lat/long. It's free so download and see. You can always uninstall.
    "Your phone does all kinds of things daddy. It's the awesomest phone EVER!"
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 3 /droid razr maxx

cruisin' with the Droid 2

older thread... but I'll add my 2... we do a lot of cruises... always take along a GPS ... from my old Magellen.. to the Garmins... Mariner.. then etrex...then more recently the Oregon 450..which is Geocache friendly...

been using my Droid 2 for Geocaching since I got it 2 weeks ago...have the Geocaching.com app for it.. w*rks pretty darn good.. actually it w*rks better than the Oregon 450 as it uploads any field notes via 3G directly to the Geocahing site..

will try it on our next cruise which is in about 10 days
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links