says it all in the title
droid life: a motorola droid blog
new htc ime keyboard for motorola droid
>> Saturday, March 6, 2010
just last friday we posted the htc ime keyboard that was ported over to the motorola droid which unfortunately only worked in portrait mode. it now appears as though that phase was short lived as a new version has popped up and completely supports landscape mode! yeah, it's pretty fantastic. nice timing right? the same day the official swype beta is released?
2 apk's are still needed: htc_ime.apk for the keyboard and clicker.apk for the settings/calibration. install both...
keyboard downloads: htc_ime.apk (alt link)
settings downloads: clicker.apk (alt link)
instructions for those of you new to the game...
1. go into settings -> applications and check the "unknown sources" box.
2. visit this post from your phone's browser.
3. tap and download this file onto your phone: htc_ime.apk (alt link)
4. tap and download this file onto your phone: clicker.apk (alt link)
5. tap on each downloaded file once finished and install them.
6. go into settings -> language & keyboard and check the "touch it" box.
7. go into a text message, long press in the text box and choose "input method".
8. choose "touch input".
Create Your Own Custom HTC_IME Keyboard
On 04.22.10, In Apps, by Kellex
Our favorite non-Swype style keyboard just keeps getting better. As of today, you can work through a step-by-step process and actually create your own customized HTC_IME keyboard. We are now on version 24 and one of the developers behind this ported version has released his beta customization method. Check it out…
*This is for non-rooted and rooted users. Everyone!*
1. Visit this site and register for an account.
2. Choose “Create a custom keyboard skin from scratch.”
3. Choose your keyboard version. (v24 is the newest.)
4. Follow the next few steps, choosing your color scheme.
5. Click “Generate Keyboard.”
6. Download your keyboard and install it. (Installation instructions here.)
Update: It appears that you do need the Clicker file for calibration. Download here.
With this new v24, it appears that the Clicker.apk for calibration is no longer needed and the settings for the keyboard have become much more polished. There are even a few new features which you’ll enjoy.
If you want the keyboard from above that I’ve created, you can download it here. (alt link)
Let me know if you have any issues.
Source: XDA Forums