DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do most apps suck?

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I'm just naming a few. Run a search (gasp!) on favorite apps and you'll see a ton of good ones.
    One thing I noticed though, which tends to bother me:

If you go to a section, say "Top Free"; you see the exact same list of apps for months at a time. Some of the "Top Free" apps have been at the exact same spot in the chart for as long as i've had my Droid. Sure, Jewels is an okay game - but it's not THAT great.
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rewarder View Post
    What the Android world needs is a group of app designers that goes thru the apps and give them a seal of approval.
    And who is going to pay this group?
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by debdroid1a View Post
    I think there are some decent ones out there. There ar some bad ones too.

Also we need to let anyone who makes an apple app that we want an Android app. If they realize that there's a market for Android apps, they will make them, and I don't see why they wouldn't make them quality apps.
    I wouldn't bet on it. Take this page on Firemint's site, for example:

Firemint Flight Control Android

this has been up there for at least 6 months. Yet, I don't see Flight Control on my Android device. Too many Android apps get mentioned, promised, etc. and then simply go by the wayside. Why does NAMCO have to be involved at all? Is Firemint too good to write Android apps? Too "Apple Eliteist"?
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    What the Android world needs is a group of app designers that goes thru the apps and give them a seal of approval.
    Not to sound obvious, but perhaps Google themselves? I'm more than certain that they can afford to pay a group of QA testers. Of course, then it wouldn't be a truly "open" marketplace. After seeing some of the apps in the market, I don't think that would be a bad thing.

There's something HORRIBLY wrong when kids can see pictures of fully nude women just browsing thru the games section.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    I'm just naming a few. Run a search (gasp!) on favorite apps and you'll see a ton of good ones.
    One thing I noticed though, which tends to bother me:

If you go to a section, say "Top Free"; you see the exact same list of apps for months at a time. Some of the "Top Free" apps have been at the exact same spot in the chart for as long as i've had my Droid. Sure, Jewels is an okay game - but it's not THAT great.
    Yes, and when I made that response that was a while back. Try doing a search like this. Using Google, search top free apps Droid Forums. I'll do it myself here: Top Free apps Droid Forum - Google Search

Now that should give you a comprehensive list of the many threads exclusive to Droid Forums and you can look at the dates. You should see different apps mentioned.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Are those icons published by PopCap Games? Doubt it. Just some tard trying to get a reputation or scam people.

Quote Originally Posted by cranialnerve View Post
    One more comment. I loved playing great games on the iPhone such as Plant vs Zombie. I think it's a riot that the closest you can get to this great game on the Droid is to see pictures of icons from the game. I guess the writers of this great droid version figured, you can load these icons, and pretend you had something cool. UGH

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    What are kids doing, unsupervised, browsing the market on a $600 piece of electronics? How is this any different than a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Not to sound obvious, but perhaps Google themselves? I'm more than certain that they can afford to pay a group of QA testers. Of course, then it wouldn't be a truly "open" marketplace. After seeing some of the apps in the market, I don't think that would be a bad thing.

There's something HORRIBLY wrong when kids can see pictures of fully nude women just browsing thru the games section.

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    It's outrageous to say "Why do all the Droid Applications suck!" Are there some bad ones out there? Sure, but there are a lot of good ones too. Chrome 2 Phone and Phone 2 Cloud are both great apps. Screebl. And countless apps that are beneficial to the rooted user.

Subsonic, tapatalk pro, adw, launcher pro, gesture search, spare parts, espn score center, mint, evernote, chompSMS, handcent, bluetooth file transfer, astro, es file explorer, app brain, alarm clock plus.

It sounds like people just don't know how to search for something. How are you finding programs for your computer? An app store? Hell no, you use the the internet like an adult.

9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    HTC DNA
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidroid View Post
    I've had my Droid for 5 weeks now, everyday I'm in the market place searching for something worthwhile. Honestly, out of the thousands and thousands of apps available I can only manage to stomach a handful that make me happy. I also noticed that alot of apps are just a duplicate of what the phone already has the capacity to with a twist or just a different look. Freezing, force close, unsupported bla bla. Don't take this wrong, I love my Droid but IMO the apps available leave something to be desired. What's the deal?

Hmmmmm, find the best with research, research, research. There are review sites galore. Use them. Also, opinions of apps are subjective (depending on need and personal preferences). So many apps are free - just try them and remember to check out all the settings/options. The 'uninstall' option is pretty easy to use for a reason, of course.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App
    Swyped by Chickaholic
    "You only live once, and if you do it right, once is enough" ~ May West
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Hemorrdroid
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    People wanna gripe about the approval process Apple has for the appstore....but I would say 50% of the apps are good, useful, etc.
    SERIOUSLY!?! Wow, must have changed a lot, i had an iphone 3G a year and a half ago, and it was more like 10% of them were useful, 50% were failed clones of the first 10% and the other 40% made you wonder why the dev spent time on it.

Not saying ours is any better, it just seems like they have more. Albeit they do have some more refined apps than we do.
    Last edited by hemorrdroid; 01-07-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    Thunderbolt
    CM7 Pre-Alpha
    Good bye MOTO
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links