DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Application Access Concerns

  1. Junior Droid
    Hoover's Avatar
    Member #
    8061
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    16
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #1

    Application Access Concerns

    Just got my Droid and have been in the Android Market checking out things to get. Each app lists what access it needs to your phone, should I be concerned with giving too much access?

    "Where" seemed cool until I saw what access it wanted:

    Your Location
    Network Comm
    Your Personal Info
    Storage
    Phone Calls (???)
    Services that cost you money
    System Tools - turn on never sleep???
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Master Droid
    MAzing87's Avatar
    Member #
    672
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    281
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    SPH-L710
    #2
    I'm a bit confused as to why some apps need to access certain information on my phone that would deemed irrelevant to make the app function. Maybe someone with some knowledge on this will be able to give some kind of input.
  4. Droid Newbie
    m038043's Avatar
    Member #
    8168
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #3
    I would also be interested in hearing the answer to this. Thanks in advance.
  5. Junior Droid
    dbandito's Avatar
    Member #
    10223
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Phone
    Droid X
    #4

    In the words of Joe Dirt "I'm New"

    I also would like to know about why some apps need access to thses portions of the Droid.. maybe some Droid genius can tell us soon..
  6. Master Droid
    medicTHREE's Avatar
    Member #
    516
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    463
    Liked
    1 times
    #5
    The issue at hand is the program allows you certain functions that could technically by way of the android API system allow access to others. For instance WHERE utilizes features that allow you to dial from WHERE(Phone Calls (???)), use GPS to locate(Location), download data(Network Comm), store maps and directions and cache(storage). I'm not sure what it defines as personal info, so it is hard to say.

    I should so be a mod.
  7. DF News Team
    wuyanks's Avatar
    Member #
    800
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,404
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by medicTHREE View Post
    The issue at hand is the program allows you certain functions that could technically by way of the android API system allow access to others. For instance WHERE utilizes features that allow you to dial from WHERE(Phone Calls (???)), use GPS to locate(Location), download data(Network Comm), store maps and directions and cache(storage). I'm not sure what it defines as personal info, so it is hard to say.

    I should so be a mod.
  8. Master Droid
    medicTHREE's Avatar
    Member #
    516
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    463
    Liked
    1 times
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyanks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by medicTHREE View Post
    The issue at hand is the program allows you certain functions that could technically by way of the android API system allow access to others. For instance WHERE utilizes features that allow you to dial from WHERE(Phone Calls (???)), use GPS to locate(Location), download data(Network Comm), store maps and directions and cache(storage). I'm not sure what it defines as personal info, so it is hard to say.

    I should so be a mod.


    Not my fault I have to correct them....
  9. Senior Droid
    SoftwareForMe.com's Avatar
    Member #
    2885
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    249
    Phone
    Droid
    #8
    There are permissions that sometimes sound a little more foreboding than they actually are. "System Tools," for example, is one category an app will need just so it can keep your screen on while you are doing something important. Apps that let you send things might want to see your contacts to make it easier to select recipients, etc.

    Nonetheless, I've downloaded a lot of free stuff that wants FULL INTERNET ACCESS (yet the program doesn't use the internet), PHONE CALLS (yet has nothing to do with phone calls), CONTACTS LIST (yet does not use my contacts) and more.

    I can see how some devs might want to send usage or bug data via the internet, etc. But when so many seemingly necessary permissions are requested, I generally look in the description of the app or the website for the answer; if I don't find it, I consider the app a 'data miner' and choose not to install it.

    Come to think of it, we've always assumed our requested permissions were obvious, we we didn't document how they're used anyplace. OOPS!

    I see another website update coming :-)

    SoftwareForMe.com
    Makers of PhoneMyPC,
    Imagine Multitouch
  10. Junior Droid
    dbandito's Avatar
    Member #
    10223
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Phone
    Droid X
    #9

    Thank you For the info

    Although your reply was informative, I am still hesitant to put some apps that I would like to have on my phone. If other developers would be more specific as to the need for such info off of my phone, then I would have more peace of mind. I'm not trying to hide anything, but in this day and age of electronic hacking and identity theft, i'd rather do without a fun app than say..my bank account.. but thanks again anyways
  11. Senior Droid
    SoftwareForMe.com's Avatar
    Member #
    2885
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    249
    Phone
    Droid
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dbandito View Post
    Although your reply was informative, I am still hesitant to put some apps that I would like to have on my phone. If other developers would be more specific as to the need for such info off of my phone, then I would have more peace of mind. I'm not trying to hide anything, but in this day and age of electronic hacking and identity theft, i'd rather do without a fun app than say..my bank account.. but thanks again anyways
    I couldn't agree more. We should talk about this in other venue's as well and encourage people to start asking. It is fair and resonable to ask that developers be transparent in this regard; some of us keep our whole lives in our phones.

    SoftwareForMe.com
    Makers of PhoneMyPC

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Voicemail access...
    By mtnangler in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 11:11 PM
  2. No USB access to SD card
    By turtledroid in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 11:16 AM
  3. Access files!!!
    By HEMDROID in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 10:49 AM
  4. SSL VPN Access
    By xk49 in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 07:51 AM

Search tags for this page

android apps access personal information
,
app access droid
,
apps having access to personal info
,
driod app why access to contacts
,
droid accessing apps
,

droid app access

,
droid application access
,
how to access downloaded apps on droid
,
phone applications allowing too much access
,
why d application need access to phone info
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+