DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why are droid apps so bad compared to iphone apps

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Hey speaking of updates, I was notified that there were updates on the phonne and while it was updating, my phone lost power.

Is there a place where I can check to see if there are updates to download?
    go in the market, then press the menu button and into downloads. it will show which apps have updates available. Try to read the release notes on the updates if possible to decide if the update is right for you. Remember, just like everything else.. sometimes an update will break functionality. if your app is working just fine you might consider not doing the update right away.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    cool thanks.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    i'm new, but this is just plain common sense. Ask yourself how long the DROID had been out... Then ask yourself how long the iPhone has been out. Just give it time for the developers to do work. Thats like expecting your kid how to read and write as soon as they come out the womb.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (v1)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Buck View Post
    i'm new, but this is just plain common sense. Ask yourself how long the DROID had been out... Then ask yourself how long the iPhone has been out. Just give it time for the developers to do work. Thats like expecting your kid how to read and write as soon as they come out the womb.
    Hey, everyone want's their kid to read and write as soon as they come out of the womb. That's called being a parent with high expectations.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    Since my purchase of the phone and my install of probably 30 apps, at least once a day there is an update to one of the apps, if not multiple ones. I love seeing it, knowing they are there working crap out to get it working better.
    The first thing I do in the morning after I get up is see if there are any updates to my apps. I get so excited when I see an update is available. How pathetic..........
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I too am waiting for Facebook to be revamped. Syncing with contacts doesn't work out the best without some tweaking, and the Facebook widget is just not right. It never updates the currenct status. The good thing is that it is heading in the right direction. I am very eager to see what will happen within the next few month. I know developers are working hard on it too. There is much to look forward to becuase this phone is capable of doing so much.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Personally, I think the market is moving at lightning speed.

New stuff every day!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I think it's great that developers are releasing updates rapidly. Now if only there was an automatic update app. to install them. I'd rather see a notification that says "6 applications were updated" followed by a list instead of having to manually install each one.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    whats the website for android market?
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    IMHO I think it's because the market if full of coders that don't know what they are doing.

Some major reasons:

1. Not everyone can afford a device, so they have to code to the emulator. This is fine, and how I started out, but you can't get a quality app without a real device to test on, just the way it is.

2. It seems like a lot of apps are created by novice programmers. Especially since java is so easy to learn, but if you dont have a lot of programming experience it will show.

3. Also, the android platform is sort of quirky a lot too, lots of little details that you may not notice right away until you get more experience writing apps on it. If you think "I know java, and android is in java, so I can code something up in 3 days flat!" , well, unless it's just a simple app, you are fooling yourself. It takes time to become properly familiar with application lifetimes, perference saving, permissions, etc. This is not just java, it's actually an O.S. like windows with it's own API and rules to follow, and it takes time to learn how to use them properly.

4. Lastly, crappy testing. Most coders want to write programs and release them. They don't have much experience in proper testing (or the patience)

That is why I think a lot of the apps suck. And also we don't yet have any real "money" in it yet, in that we get big companies who actually invest money into an app to make it great. It's probably mostly single developers or small teams that have more limited time and resources.

-niko
    Last edited by nikolatesla20; 11-23-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links