DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Google Maps navigation question.

  1. Master Droid
    Big Cam's Avatar
    Member #
    2990
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    920
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus: Sourcerized
    #1

    Google Maps navigation question.

    When in Car mode and using the Google Maps navigation app. Is there a way to get it to the view where you can see forward all the time.

    What I mean is when you look at it without a route, directions, or a destination, it is a birds eye view like Google Maps always has been. Once you enter a route, it comes down and it's like you are following a little blue arrow close on the road. I want that all the time even without a route to follow. Is that possible?



    EDIT: I want this view all the time.



    as opposed to this.
    Last edited by Big Cam; 05-04-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ROM: Team Sourcery!

  2. Master Droid
    rjax's Avatar
    Member #
    3345
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    410
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #2
    Set your destination for a place you'll never reach, like somewhere cross-country.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Jim 777's Avatar
    Member #
    19480
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,271
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    See my sig, silly!
    #3
    I could be wrong here, but I think he wants a mode where it just "follows along" rather than trying to get you somewhere.
    Droid Razr
    Custom Dialers for D1
    My broken glass icons: Broken Icons | Android Logo Icons (in progress): Android Icons

  4. Master Droid
    Big Cam's Avatar
    Member #
    2990
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    920
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus: Sourcerized
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rjax View Post
    Set your destination for a place you'll never reach, like somewhere cross-country.
    That's what I have found to be my only option for now, and I'm not crazy about it but it is a work around
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim #777 View Post
    I could be wrong here, but I think he wants a mode where it just "follows along" rather than trying to get you somewhere.
    That's exactly what I want.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ROM: Team Sourcery!

  5. Master Droid
    Mule65's Avatar
    Member #
    56107
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    430
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD
    #5
    I don't think there's a follow me option yet. Instead, I put several Navigate widgets (Home, Work, Cabin, XX golf, etc) into a folder named Navigate. Long press home screen and select Navigate widget near bottom. If you have address info with a contact it's easy to use voice and "Navigate to Home" for example.
  6. Droid Sensei
    takeshi's Avatar
    Member #
    10236
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,600
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Cam View Post
    When in Car mode and using the Google Maps navigation app. Is there a way to get it to the view where you can see forward all the time.
    Nope. Been discussed many times. There is no 3D Follow Me map. I suggest letting Google know that you want it as it seems to be a popular request. You can have a 2D one in Maps if you hit My Location.

    The workaround is to use the destination that you'll never reach, mentioned above. Other GPS nav apps might offer this.
  7. Senior Droid
    Lars's Avatar
    Member #
    28793
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    166
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    Mine: SG4; Hers: SG3
    #7
    Another work around option is to set a location a few hundred feet from where you are. Once you reach the location the map will change to Google Street View. There should be an arrow in the bottom left corner, and when you hit that you will return the the "Follow Me Map". As long as you only hit that arrow, and not the back button it should continue to follow you around. The only glitch I found was when you are stopped, it will return to the bird's eye view, but as soon as you start moving again it will return to the following mode.
  8. Master Droid
    Big Cam's Avatar
    Member #
    2990
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    920
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus: Sourcerized
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Another work around option is to set a location a few hundred feet from where you are. Once you reach the location the map will change to Google Street View. There should be an arrow in the bottom left corner, and when you hit that you will return the the "Follow Me Map". As long as you only hit that arrow, and not the back button it should continue to follow you around. The only glitch I found was when you are stopped, it will return to the bird's eye view, but as soon as you start moving again it will return to the following mode.
    I acidentally discovered this last night, good tip.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ROM: Team Sourcery!

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Google maps navigation beta
    By tehpriest in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 12:41 PM
  2. Navigation problem on Google Maps
    By fdnman in forum Android Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 09:03 PM
  3. Google maps/navigation question
    By Iowaberg in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM
  4. Google Maps Navigation ETA is not accurate
    By devil94 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM
  5. Question about the Google Maps Navigation
    By azcards11 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 10:40 AM

Search tags for this page

change navigator maps view
,
change view google maps navigation
,

google map

,
google map navigation bird view
,
google maps
,

google maps navigation change view

,
google navigation
,
googlemap
,
how to change navigation view google maos htc dna
,
how to change view on google maps navigation
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+