DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can you stop apps from auto-launching?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus

how can you stop apps from auto-launching?

whenever i go to setting and look at running applications/processes, theres always a ton of apps that i havent used that are running. im not necessarily talking about stock apps either. for instance, cnet scan & shop and copilot always start them selves up without me using them. and i know some of these apps will restart a couple seconds after you kill them anyway. ive tried autostarts or whatever its called, but all it does is repeatedly kill the app wasting my battery. i dont want to remove these apps, but is there any way to make it so they only start if i open the app?
    HOKIE
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    incredible HTC droid
    there's an app for that......auto start or something like that. free in the market
    the ultimate droid
    ultimate droid V10
    dxtop home replacement
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Quote Originally Posted by CatsTide View Post
    there's an app for that......auto start or something like that. free in the market
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    ... ive tried autostarts or whatever its called...
    it doesnt do what i want it to do...
    HOKIE
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    whenever i go to setting and look at running applications/processes, theres always a ton of apps that i havent used that are running. im not necessarily talking about stock apps either. for instance, cnet scan & shop and copilot always start them selves up without me using them. and i know some of these apps will restart a couple seconds after you kill them anyway. ive tried autostarts or whatever its called, but all it does is repeatedly kill the app wasting my battery. i dont want to remove these apps, but is there any way to make it so they only start if i open the app?
    The apps you mention are associated with the GPS and the exact dependencies are not necessarily clear, i.e. Does the app start because the GPS is enabled or does GPS turn on because the app starts. You may find some success in turning off your GPS and/or looking at the settings of the individual apps to see if you can prevent them from trying to run when the phone has a GPS signal.

I've seen the same behavior from "Shop Savvy" and have engaged in a running battle with the little b******d to stop making itself available to me when I'm sitting in my home where I don't have to buy anything.

On the other hand, as long as it's inactive it's mainly an aesthetic issue.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    The apps you mention are associated with the GPS and the exact dependencies are not necessarily clear, i.e. Does the app start because the GPS is enabled or does GPS turn on because the app starts. You may find some success in turning off your GPS and/or looking at the settings of the individual apps to see if you can prevent them from trying to run when the phone has a GPS signal.

I've seen the same behavior from "Shop Savvy" and have engaged in a running battle with the little b******d to stop making itself available to me when I'm sitting in my home where I don't have to buy anything.

On the other hand, as long as it's inactive it's mainly an aesthetic issue.
    that makes sense, but i wish there was still a way to stop them from starting. i dont want to turn my gps off becuse i use a weatherbug widget. but the cnet and copilot i virtually never use, so theres really no need for them to be running. i just dont want them using ram, be it a lot or a little.
    HOKIE
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Can you confirm hat they're actually using memory while in the background? People seem to assume that background apps do but in most cases they don't in the Android world.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Can you confirm hat they're actually using memory while in the background? People seem to assume that background apps do but in most cases they don't in the Android world.
    I've found the SystemPanel app to be especially useful for identifying "inactive" apps. Although the app is a "task killer," it's mainly useful for identifying what the O/S is doing.

You'll find, for example, that "inactive" apps are those that started at some point, used a few cpu cycles and then sat down quietly. You can kill them if you like. It will free some memory but any advantage you're likely to gain by doing so will be canceled by the cpu cycles the o/s uses to start them again.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 04-26-2010 at 06:17 PM.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Managing apps

I installed Advanced Task Killer. It seems to work well. You can de-select certain apps for it to inactivate so you can leave your weather or other apps running but not the others. When you touch the icon, they come on again. Easy, I think.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by MKStroube View Post
    I installed Advanced Task Killer. It seems to work well. You can de-select certain apps for it to inactivate so you can leave your weather or other apps running but not the others. When you touch the icon, they come on again. Easy, I think.
    I use it as well. The guy just added the much-needed autokill feature to it, which I was about to move to another app for. I set mine to auto-kill whenever the phone sleeps (nice!) The catch is, before turning on autokill, you should build the ignore list for apps you want to allow to run all the time, then enable autokill. (I found that actually using the ignore list instead of just unchecking the items is much better.)
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    i think that needs to be reworded...

can you confirm that theyre actually NOT using memory while in the background?

ive heard it stated many times that the apps use virtually no memory, but that means nothing to me without proof. running processes/applications use ram on any computer/OS...windows, mac, blackberry OS, etc. that i know for a fact, but i have yet to see anyone provide any sort of evidence that android apps are infact dormant even though theyre open. thats not to say it isnt posted somewhere on this forum (i dont come here a whole lot), but ive seen that stated without proof many times.
    HOKIE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links