DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: task killers?

Member #
    Phone
    Motorola droid

task killers?

I have not been using a task killer and things were going fine until last night..my battery was at about 70 percent and I went to go use my phone and it was absolutely dead..so what task killer should I use that's the best?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I had the exact same thing happen.......wasnt out even 4 hours and pulled the phone out and it said hook to the charger. I have no idea what was running.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorolla Droid
    use advanced task killer. You can also use the widget and with the press of the icon, it kills anything running and that isn't on the ignore list
    Android does where iPhone doesn't. Droid can where Backflip shouldn't
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post
    use advanced task killer. You can also use the widget and with the press of the icon, it kills anything running and that isn't on the ignore list
    Then you'll have the enjoyable experience of trying to figure out why your Droid has stopped doing what it's supposed to do. It's a great way to generate posts to this forum.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorolla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Then you'll have the enjoyable experience of trying to figure out why your Droid has stopped doing what it's supposed to do. It's a great way to generate posts to this forum.
    Not if you configure the ignore list. Works great for me and haven't had any issues with my phone not doing anything. A forum is a place of information no? So if someone does something wrong, they come here for help, they get help and now they learned something new and in the future that's one more knowledgeable person you have on this forum to help others.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Thumbs down

I tried advanced task killer and advanced task manager both do what they stated and both can be added as a widget to kill everything not on the ignore or exclude list but the advanced task killer widget will tell you how much memory available to you after killing all the task, so I use that exclusively now with cachemate.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    go to the market get a program system panel its free it will show you every single thing running and whats its doing really good program
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Not if you configure the ignore list. Works great for me and haven't had any issues with my phone not doing anything. A forum is a place of information no? So if someone does something wrong, they come here for help, they get help and now they learned something new and in the future that's one more knowledgeable person you have on this forum to help others.
    All he's saying is that we see it over and over again - the damage a task killer can do. There is no need for a task killer. Android handles the closing of applications very well on its own. Android is different than most other phone operating systems and is closer to Linux than anything else. Lots of services and applications constantly run in the background. However, and this is important - they do not use up a ton of resources. A service or app can be loaded, yet use almost no additional memory, and 0% CPU until it actually has to do some work.

In general, killing off running services is a waste of time. This is not Windows and doesn't need to be treated as such. Android automatically asks apps to close that aren't needed when it needs more memory. Killing off some of the processes means it'll slow your phone down, as these processes will only need to reload.

It is also likely that you will slow your system down by running a task killer as most task killers install services that run continually. Android reuses objects when available to eliminate the overhead of creating new objects. Shutting down apps on your own will only interfere with your system efficiency. Hope that helps!

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorolla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneDroid View Post

All he's saying is that we see it over and over again - the damage a task killer can do. There is no need for a task killer. Android handles the closing of applications very well on its own. Android is different than most other phone operating systems and is closer to Linux than anything else. Lots of services and applications constantly run in the background. However, and this is important - they do not use up a ton of resources. A service or app can be loaded, yet use almost no additional memory, and 0% CPU until it actually has to do some work.

In general, killing off running services is a waste of time. This is not Windows and doesn't need to be treated as such. Android automatically asks apps to close that aren't needed when it needs more memory. Killing off some of the processes means it'll slow your phone down, as these processes will only need to reload.

It is also likely that you will slow your system down by running a task killer as most task killers install services that run continually. Android reuses objects when available to eliminate the overhead of creating new objects. Shutting down apps on your own will only interfere with your system efficiency. Hope that helps!

read it, noted it, got rid of my task killer Knowledge is power
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Before pointing the finger at running tasks in the background for poor battery life, go to "Settings|About|Battery Use" and see what's actually using the battery. It's much better than taking an indiscriminate shotgun approach to the problem. Android gives you the tools to optimize your battery life, you just have to use them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links