DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing stock messaging app...

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid

Question Removing stock messaging app...

Does anyone know how to remove the stock messaging application and replace it with another application from the market? I know it might sound hard but i know that it can be done... After all the things weve done to our droid then i know this can be done... Someone has to step up and find out tho... Lol... I already know that i can disable the notifications for the stock messaging application. But i want to completely take this stock app off. Ive done it before with titanium but my messages would only come to the notification bar and they would never make it to my new messaging app from the market (handcent). So my theory is that you have to move the handcent folder somewhere that the regular messaging app was in before i moved it... Just wanted to see if anyone has had luck with this before i f*** my phone!!! Thanks in advance.. Im sure if i get an answer this will not only help me out....
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    NeverEndingXsin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    if you root your phone and download "root explorer" from the market then you can navigate to where the stock messaging app is stored on your phone and you can either rename it or remove it all together. again this requires root access.

when using root explorer its in system ---> app ---> mms.apk so if you rename it to mms.apk.bak then it wont show up anymore on your phone
    Twitter? Follow Me @NeverEndingXsin

Google+ Invites? Yeah i got them
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    My understanding is that the default Messaging app, like the default Email app, and the Visual VMail app and all those are built into the android OS on the Droid and can only be removed if you root the phone. Then you'd have access to kill them.

However...

I have Handcent. I turned the notifications off in the regular Messaging app, and use Handcent completely. Handcent gets everything just fine. The txt messages are stored in a place on the phone that both the Messaging app and Handcent have access to, and both programs are alerted of messages in the same way.

By turning off notifications from the regular Messaging app, and just installing Handcent, you SHOULD be good to go already...
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    Well i did take off the notifications for my stock app. But i just wanted to take it off so i could get the full advantage of the blacklist on handcent... I did download root manager and my phone is already rooted. But it wouldnt let me rename or remove the mms.apk file. I tried to move the handcent file into the system/app folder but it wouldnt let me it says that the file is read only.. Or something like that... So i guess the next step is to see if i can hide any of my apps in my launcher?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by abourda725 View Post
    Well i did take off the notifications for my stock app. But i just wanted to take it off so i could get the full advantage of the blacklist on handcent... I did download root manager and my phone is already rooted. But it wouldnt let me rename or remove the mms.apk file. I tried to move the handcent file into the system/app folder but it wouldnt let me it says that the file is read only.. Or something like that... So i guess the next step is to see if i can hide any of my apps in my launcher?
    You need to hit the button on the top right that says "mount r/w"... you need to make the folder read/write in order to delete the .apk.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    Ok now that takes off the mms.apk program... But now i need to reroute where my messages are going somehow.. Cause now my messages are only going to the notification bar and not into handcent... Man this is crazy..
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Ok now that takes off the mms.apk program... But now i need to reroute where my messages are going somehow.. Cause now my messages are only going to the notification bar and not into handcent... Man this is crazy..
    Really? I have had the stock app named mms.apk.bak for awhile now and I have had no issues with them showing up in Handscent.. sorry man.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    yes it didnt work for me when i added the .bak to the end of mms.apk
    it takes away the mms app but the messages dont show up in handcent. only the notification bar... did you do anything else different besides changing the file extension?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Pandahome allows you to hide the stock messaging app...I also wanted to get rid of it..but now I just deal with it..Pandahome laggs the phone too much..I wish they would've included hiding icons in this new update..but oh well.
    Motorola Droid
    Ultimate Droid 2.5
    ChevyNo.1 -1.25LV
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    yes it didnt work for me when i added the .bak to the end of mms.apk
    it takes away the mms app but the messages dont show up in handcent. only the notification bar... did you do anything else different besides changing the file extension?
    Nope... nothing else. I'll let you know if I think of anything that might be causing the issue for you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links