DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Maps direction while stopped?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Doid

Maps direction while stopped?

has anyone noticed that with one of the new maps updates they changed they way in which they calculate the direction of the arrow?

before, when you were stopped, it showed you as a blue dot. not until it could calculate your change in direction did it change into an arrow.

now it seems like instead of doing the calculations, it just references the compass. it's nice, except when you use your phone in landscape. then, every time you come to a stop, it shows me perpendicular to the street i'm on.

not a big deal, just catches you off guard at first. anyone else notice this?

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    It was always a dot when motionless, a few updates ago, in labs, one could select to use compass position when stationary, because some people cannot figure out which way they are looking when stopped

With latest update, now the thing is always an arrow, and flashes as well, for those with bad eyesight.

Interesting thing though, is that I've seen reports how they must not have thought that through, because if it is in a car dock, you have a magnet right by it, and people are seeing strange behaviour from the arrow while stopped in cars.

Personally I'd like both blinking and compass arrow while stopped to be returned to labs, or settings options for one to turn off.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Doid
    damn so it used to be an option, and now it's forced? that seems like an odd change to make. they at least need to have an option for people who use the phone landscape, and so the phone isn't point the same direction as the car.

also, i never noticed it started blinking until you said that lol.
  5. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RW-1 View Post
    It was always a dot when motionless, a few updates ago, in labs, one could select to use compass position when stationary, because some people cannot figure out which way they are looking when stopped

With latest update, now the thing is always an arrow, and flashes as well, for those with bad eyesight.

Interesting thing though, is that I've seen reports how they must not have thought that through, because if it is in a car dock, you have a magnet right by it, and people are seeing strange behaviour from the arrow while stopped in cars.

Personally I'd like both blinking and compass arrow while stopped to be returned to labs, or settings options for one to turn off.
    lol great, for those with bad eyesight, they will be able to see the dot on top of 4 other cars after they crash ..
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by RW-1 View Post
    Never thought of that. I'm glad my car mounts don't have the magnets. Though, really, the arrow doesn't really matter to me. It's amusing but not a make-or-break feature IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by brochaos View Post
    damn so it used to be an option, and now it's forced? that seems like an odd change to make.
    Not really. Labs exists to allow people that choose to test out new features before they're released.

Quote Originally Posted by brochaos View Post
    they at least need to have an option for people who use the phone landscape, and so the phone isn't point the same direction as the car.
    Why would that matter? North is north. Portrait or landscape is irrelevant.

You'd have to face the back (or sides) of your car with the Droid in front of you for it to be "pointed" in a different direction than the car.
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-24-2010 at 11:11 PM.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Why would that matter? North is north. Portrait or landscape is irrelevant.

You'd have to face the back (or sides) of your car with the Droid in front of you for it to be "pointed" in a different direction than the car.
    Nope not true. I was using the navigator today and it was pointing away from the direction i was going. I had to get back to the street (i was in a parking lot) and it started up working again.

Links