DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GPS for DROID???

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    As I recall Google Maps isn't true GPS is it? I thought it was still location-based. So as long as you're in service range, then you're clear. But if you wander out of service range your GPS is useless.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilazr View Post
    As I recall Google Maps isn't true GPS is it? I thought it was still location-based. So as long as you're in service range, then you're clear. But if you wander out of service range your GPS is useless.
    Google maps uses the cell network to download the map image of where the GPS tells it you are.

If there were a GPS app that did not use Google Maps (IE: had its own loaded basemaps on your SD card, or just displayed your lat/lon with a compass) then the connectivity to the cell network should not matter.

Edit to add: Put droid in plane mode (shuts off cell service). I then turned on GPS status which does not use Google Maps at all. It still showed my correct lat/lon and adjusted bearing as I turned in different directions. That confirms that GPS works w/o cell coverage.

Edit again: GPS Status does have a link to "Show on Map" however it is disabled when in plane mode.
    Last edited by JP 5.56; 03-17-2010 at 01:00 PM.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Interesting. Garmin or Tom Tom needs to get on making a GPS app for Android then. I'd love to not have to buy a standalone.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RW-1 View Post
    Uh, wrong. It shows your location with GPS, and navigation gives you directions...
    Do you know if it does this on the eris?
    Nope, but OP says he's on a Droid ...
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Interesting. Garmin or Tom Tom needs to get on making a GPS app for Android then. I'd love to not have to buy a standalone.
    It could be relatively simple. Someone with enough time on their hands could probably take google maps and turn it into a basemap that could be stored on the SD card. Just like a basemap is stored on a regular GPSr.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    Uh, wrong. It shows your location with GPS, and navigation gives you directions...
    Do you know if it does this on the eris?
    Nope, but OP says he's on a Droid ...
    His current phone reads as droid eris, might be mistaking droid for android.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    It seems that there is an app on the market for ~$30 that stores the maps on your phone so that you don't have to use 3G to download the maps. Its called CoPilot.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola RAZOR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDynomite View Post
    I'm new to DROID and have been searching hi n lo for a good GPS app...apparently GOOGLE is working on the FUTURE OF MOBILE GPS n it'll be out soon for the DROID..but for now is there a good one that's free or under 10 buxx?
    Take a look at GPSTest in the market place.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Google - My Tracks

Check this out:
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I don't think a tracking app is what the OP is asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDynomite View Post
    Yes, but it only gives u directions..it's not GPS,bra!
    You mean turn-by-turn and voice prompts. "GPS" by itself doesn't mean navigation app, despite the way many use it. In any case, Google Maps/Nav definitely uses GPS if available and certainly has turn-by-turn and voice prompts.

Could you clarify whether you have a Droid or an Eris? If it's the latter, that explains why Google Maps can only give you directions.

It will use GPS if available. The accuracy is a pretty good indicator of how it's locating you. If your location has the light blue circle around it then it's not using GPS.

Be careful what you wish for. The Garmin app for BB doesn't locally store maps either. I'm suspecting that you specifically want locally stored maps like CoPilot.
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-18-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links