DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Effective AntiVirus

  1. Beta Team
    Tanknspank's Avatar
    Member #
    27138
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,548
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Premium Member
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jpv190 View Post
    Well.. just to let u know guys that I have a Droid 1 running on rooted 2.2 FRG01B (stock) and just last week i think my phone got a virus. I could use it, the luancher and every was lagging a lot and it crashed as well.. so, b in the look out.
    The way to explain it just sounds like a bad app...

    Sent from my Droid
    -----------------------------------
    Rom: CyanogenMod 7 Winner00's Nightly #85
    Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.1.0.2
    Kernel: Prime's deprimed_test
    Theme: Stock
    Launcher: ADW EX 1.2.2
    Launcher Theme: Gingerbread
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/ihaztehwingz

    -----------------------------------
  2. Droid Ninja
    aminaked's Avatar
    Member #
    25714
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,187
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jpv190 View Post
    Well.. just to let u know guys that I have a Droid 1 running on rooted 2.2 FRG01B (stock) and just last week i think my phone got a virus. I could use it, the luancher and every was lagging a lot and it crashed as well.. so, b in the look out.
    What are we looking out for exactly? There are no known android viruses.
  3. Junior Droid
    DocDizzy's Avatar
    Member #
    109143
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Samsung Captivate (SGH-i897)
    #13

    Exclamation LookOut Mobile Security

    First I would like to start off by saying I am new to this site, but I feel I have a lot to offer on this subject.


    LookOut Mobile Security Percs:
    Free App for

    Anti-Virus that can be customized (daily, weekly, what part of the day you want it to scan) If you keep Anti-Virus turned on it will also auto scan any new downloads.

    Data Backup. This includes all your contacts, call log, and any pictures on your phone. Also can be customized as to when you would like this backup to take place. (I have 148 contacts and it takes less than 2 minutes to back up)

    Missing Device Based on wireless networks, and GPS you are able to make your phone go nuts, or even LOCK IT DOWN if it is lost or stolen. This is VERY handy if you have contacts that you wish not to share with others if they obtain your phone. It is also very handy if you have a G/F who always gets pissed because she loses her phone. haha




    PLEASE READ THIS NEXT PART!!!!

    I read all the comments and for the most part everyone has said the same thing. Why do you need an anti-virus for a Linux based system. Viruses on Linux are rare and far inbetween however if you relate yourself at least some with Technology trends you will know Linux (even though an older Operating system, and generally less user friendly for computer retards) is becoming more and more popular. I have many friends over seas and here in the USA that have dual operating systems on there PC. All I am saying is take precaution before you have a problem.

    Second. LookOut Mobile Security is the top ranking mobile security app. for phones. The company is worth more than 11million dollars. (don't believe me search it, how many other apps you use have that kind of capital) LookOut Mobile Security also does not just support Android systems. Around 18 months ago I purchased a BlackJack II. This phone was CRAP but a smart phone all the same, and one of the better ones when I obtained it. The BlackJack II uses Windows Mobile. My phone was version 2.0 then updated to 2.1, they now are up to version 6.5 to work better with Windows 7.
    The reason why this is important is because the apps you obtain on your android you can also get with Windows Mobile. Maybe more virus chances with windows?


    Either way the back up is worth obtaining this free software. If you lose your device or upgrade all you have to do is go to

    https://www.mylookout.com/

    and restore all your contacts.


    I hope this helps!
  4. Droid Ninja
    aminaked's Avatar
    Member #
    25714
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,187
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #14
    The ability to lock down your phone's data sounds good. Constantly scanning for viruses that don't exist sounds like a waste of resources.
  5. Junior Droid
    DocDizzy's Avatar
    Member #
    109143
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Samsung Captivate (SGH-i897)
    #15
    The lock down and the back up are the two main things I use. The virus scan does cause some lag on the phone and my phone is over clocked to almost 1.2Ghz lol. So I only run the virus scan once a week at around 3AM, but I do keep it set to auto scan any downloads I do, as it takes no time at all and IMO where my phone is my buisness and personal phone I don't want to take chances ya know?

    Either way its very customizable. And like I had stated I have been using them for almost 20months now, have had it installed on 3 different phones. My BlackJack II's it would back up SMS also. Its nice either way to look back for old friends phone numbers or TXT messages for maybe legal purposes?

    I don't know how many judge shows I see (I'm a stay at home dad early in the day), and TXT messages if you have copies are evadince in court. hehe
  6. Senior Droid
    scoder's Avatar
    Member #
    17345
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cedar Grove, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Phone
    Droid
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDizzy View Post
    First I would like to start off by saying I am new to this site, but I feel I have a lot to offer on this subject.


    LookOut Mobile Security Percs:
    Free App for

    Anti-Virus that can be customized (daily, weekly, what part of the day you want it to scan) If you keep Anti-Virus turned on it will also auto scan any new downloads.

    Data Backup. This includes all your contacts, call log, and any pictures on your phone. Also can be customized as to when you would like this backup to take place. (I have 148 contacts and it takes less than 2 minutes to back up)

    Missing Device Based on wireless networks, and GPS you are able to make your phone go nuts, or even LOCK IT DOWN if it is lost or stolen. This is VERY handy if you have contacts that you wish not to share with others if they obtain your phone. It is also very handy if you have a G/F who always gets pissed because she loses her phone. haha




    PLEASE READ THIS NEXT PART!!!!

    I read all the comments and for the most part everyone has said the same thing. Why do you need an anti-virus for a Linux based system. Viruses on Linux are rare and far inbetween however if you relate yourself at least some with Technology trends you will know Linux (even though an older Operating system, and generally less user friendly for computer retards) is becoming more and more popular. I have many friends over seas and here in the USA that have dual operating systems on there PC. All I am saying is take precaution before you have a problem.

    Second. LookOut Mobile Security is the top ranking mobile security app. for phones. The company is worth more than 11million dollars. (don't believe me search it, how many other apps you use have that kind of capital) LookOut Mobile Security also does not just support Android systems. Around 18 months ago I purchased a BlackJack II. This phone was CRAP but a smart phone all the same, and one of the better ones when I obtained it. The BlackJack II uses Windows Mobile. My phone was version 2.0 then updated to 2.1, they now are up to version 6.5 to work better with Windows 7.
    The reason why this is important is because the apps you obtain on your android you can also get with Windows Mobile. Maybe more virus chances with windows?


    Either way the back up is worth obtaining this free software. If you lose your device or upgrade all you have to do is go to

    https://www.mylookout.com/

    and restore all your contacts.


    I hope this helps!
    The Blackjack 2 shipped with Windows Mobile 6.0 and can be upgraded to 6.1 (6.5 if you hack it). There was never a Windows Mobile 2.0 or 2.1 lol.

    As for viruses on Android, Android is a Linux SYSTEM. That does not mean that any virus out there for Linux would work on your Droid if you put it on the SD card. The code would need to be repackaged and as of now, the only known virus was removed by Google, Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a.

    This app disguised itself as "Movie Player" and played videos at a choppier bit rate than the stock player and constantly forced closed, while in the background sent texts to premium text message numbers, racking your bill up. Did Lookout detect that this app was doing this and delete it from people's systems? No, because Lookout wasn't aware of the app until Kapersky noticed it and informed Google, who promptly deleted it.

    An antivirus is only as good as the predefined list of code that it searches for, much like with any Windows, Linux, or Mac machine. When it comes to viruses on any system, the best antivirus is called "Common Sense." This program is actually in your brain and asks questions before you install things, like "How many stars does this app have/how popular is this program?" or "Why don't I search Google or the comments section and see what other people who have this program/app think of it?" or "What does this app offer that the stock video player on this machine does not?" Also, whenever you download an app, it tells you which services it can and will use. So who would install an app that blatantly asks if it can have the permission to send SMS messages? And why would a video player need to do this?

    If I download an app, I make sure it has over 10,000 downloads first and at least 4 stars, or I'll download blindly if I know who the developer is. Slydial is the only app I have under 4 stars, out of 81 apps (I just checked). And most PC viruses come from people trying to get something for free. Sometimes you need to pay a few bucks for something good, and bypassing that and the law can sometimes cost you your data.

    As for Lookout, I've been using it for 6 years and WinMo and Android. Great application, just keep Antivirus off to conserve battery.
    Last edited by scoder; 08-25-2010 at 01:42 AM.
  7. Droid Ninja
    aminaked's Avatar
    Member #
    25714
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,187
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by scoder View Post
    the only known virus was removed by Google, Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a.
    I like what you wrote, but I just wanted to say that a trojan is not a virus.

    ***

    Antivirus can't help a user who installs untrusted software. Antivirus on Android is a ridiculous waste because there are no known Android viruses.
  8. Senior Droid
    scoder's Avatar
    Member #
    17345
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cedar Grove, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Phone
    Droid
    #18
    I hate the argument of "Trojans don't replicate so they're not considered viruses." They are malware and pose a security threat, and that is the general topic of this thread, regardless of whether they replicate or are installed unknowingly/foolishly. We are talking about antiviruses, and every one that I know of will detect known Trojans.
  9. Droid Ninja
    aminaked's Avatar
    Member #
    25714
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,187
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by scoder View Post
    I hate the argument of "Trojans don't replicate so they're not considered viruses." They are malware and pose a security threat, and that is the general topic of this thread, regardless of whether they replicate or are installed unknowingly/foolishly. We are talking about antiviruses, and every one that I know of will detect known Trojans.
    I hear you. I just think that the difference is important because a trojan requires the user to let their guard down and do something stupid (uninstall untrusted software). A virus requires no action on the part of the user. My main point is that trojans are pretty easy to avoid by educating the user.

    Viruses are mainly avoided by keeping all of your software up to date. Antivirus plays catch up.
  10. shakesbrice22's Avatar
    Member #
    93763
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    33
    Phone
    Moto Droid- Rooted
    #20
    Glad I found a good thread on antivirus. I use antivirus pro but after reading this thread promptly deleted it as I agree with others that its not a problem now. I am however concerned that with all the increased Android hype and sales that it will become a problem in the future.

    The only virus so far has been the Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a. and affected only individuals in Russia. We didn't get the experience of this one but if we did I'm sure more users would be speaking their mind in this thread. It is stupid that lookout or any antivirus app didn't find this virus but I sure hope that in the future we get a steady and updated frequently antivirus app as I see problems in the future.

    I am pro starting a thread (don't know if one exists haven't looked yet) that keeps up do date on viruses, trojans, malware, etc so that droid users understand and know right away what to do or how to fix it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Antivirus?
    By jcboogers in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 07:10 AM
  2. Is antivirus really necessary?
    By andrewdoane in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 05:35 AM
  3. What antivirus is better
    By spiralskygilligan in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM
  4. Which Antivirus App?
    By Tuktanuk in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 03:48 PM
  5. antivirus application
    By gbdonar in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM

Search tags for this page

.apk virus scanner
,
apk file scanner
,

apk virus scanner

,
scan apk files
,
scan apk files for virus
,
scan for virus now apk
,
scan-for-viruses-now.apk
,
scanning apk files
,
virus scan apk
,
virus scan apk files
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+