DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runners App??

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID

Runners App??

Hey All,

I am fitness buff about to try out for my first marathon. I normally dont use my Droid for an MP3 player (ipod Touch), but currently use the Droid as my wife is due in a few weeks, and I need her to be able to get a hold of me while I am on my runs.

My question, is there a good running app that tracks how far I run?

Thanks in advance

Papaskispartan
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I've been using Cardio Trainer. Works well for me. Hope this helps
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...-app-zxpp.aspx

I have softrace. It tracks other sports like biking as well as running. It also lets you race against other users times from around the world. I haven't used it yet but I plan to.

This is going to sound bad but I use Nike+ with my iPod touch and then I listen to Last.fm with my Droid. It sucks having to run with two devices but I'm addicted to Nike+ and I don't want to listen to my own music.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola A855
    My Tracks has done the job
    DR
    AdamZ's Smoked Glass 6.0
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I have been using Endomondo to train, Keeps track of the path you ran, times, distance. It also audible tells you when you have completed a mile
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt & Xoom
    might look at Sportypal
    SportyPal for Android - Health

Sometimes a "smartphone" is only as smart as its user.

7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    First off, congratulations on trying out for your first marathon. Remember the training is the hardest part. Really the marthon is the easiest. There are a number of good apps as other posts have indicated. I'm in the process of finishing up alpha and ready to test beta version of a unique fitness/runners application, and am looking for droid user's to test it out. Eventually, it will be a pay type service app but it covers a very unique market spectrum, that goes beyond just logging your runs/or bike rides. Not to give too much details because of NDA if your interested in beta testing it you can pm me.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by D Roid View Post
    My Tracks has done the job
    I agree. MyTracks is an app made by Google, it tracks you (you just say start and stop), and records speed, distance, elevation and similar statistics. It also allows the export of the track data to GMZ or KML files if you wish to use your tracking info in some other software, as well as can upload to Google Maps.

Personally, though, I find it uncomfortable to run with my Droid, usually. I don't have an armband and it's pretty bulky to hold, but I've put it in a jacket pocket when it's a bit colder and I go running and that's worked out really well.

Same deal for biking. Or anything that involves moving, really.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    SportPal is a great app, and the developers seem very dedicated to making it better with each release.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If you are going to train with your Droid (which I highly suggest! It has really helped me), then I suggest using an armband and bluetooth headphones. Trust me, wired headphones SUCK for running. I HIGHLY recommend the following:

Belkin Dual-fit Armband for iPhone
    Motorola Bluetooth Headphones

There really is no armband for the Droid. The ones that say they are, do not fit it well (they are made for several different phones). I've noticed that the iPhone (not iPod Touch mind you) armbands fit the best. This one in particular has done me well, and it's very comfortable. The headphones are also great as they are comfortable, go around the back (earbuds just plain blow for running), and include a microphone so if your wife needs to get a hold of you, you can talk to her while running.

As for apps, I enjoyed RunStar, but they haven't updated it in a while. It just isn't as feature rich as others.

Reddit: TheRealBigLou
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links