DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a good App to SYNC directly with Microsoft Outlook (contacts and calendar)?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Thank you for the update on the Exchange info.....I am not using Outlook on an Exchange server. This is Outlook 2007 on a PC.

Google really missed the boat on this. There are millions of small businesses who do not use an exchange server, and they have told them that they do not need to purchase a phone using their operating system. Using gmail as an alternative to Outlook is like going back to Outlook Express or MS Mail. Outlook is an business app, where the others are not!!!
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by ttevogt View Post
    Thank you for the update on the Exchange info.....I am not using Outlook on an Exchange server. This is Outlook 2007 on a PC.

Google really missed the boat on this. There are millions of small businesses who do not use an exchange server, and they have told them that they do not need to purchase a phone using their operating system. Using gmail as an alternative to Outlook is like going back to Outlook Express or MS Mail. Outlook is an business app, where the others are not!!!
    Oh, I see your problem now. Hope you find a solution!
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpriest View Post
    I couldn't disagree more and I have only just moved over to the Milestone from an E90 I have used for the past three years. Using either the software I mentioned above or, if you have access to a Exchange server then it is even easier with the built in software.
    Disagree that the DROID may be a bad fit for the original poster, or with my advice to expect compromise in getting his sync to work between Outlook and the DROID? I'm not knocking the DROID, but it's not the phone for everyone. He's not the only guy who's been carping in forums about sync issues with Microsoft Outlook. Some people need that ActiveSync tight coupling, and when evaluating requirements for a new phone, need to consider that. He's probably going to be happier in the long run with a WinMo phone as his tool of choice, than a DROID with all its other cool goodnesses, but not the tight sync interaction he's used to.

I have an HP iPaq PDA. Its native sync with Outlook and Office far surpasses the current sync situation I have with the DROID, and the iPaq is a much dumber machine. But it was built with sync in mind, and the DROID/Android isn't.

So we need to run extra apps to sync to the Google Calendar, and do some dances to get contacts to move back and forth between Outlook, Google in the cloud, and the DROID. I'm fine with that, for my situation.

If I had to sync with my work computer, there's no way I'd get a DROID. We use *shudder* Lotus Notes at work. But I got my DROID for a bunch of different reasons, and I knew that sync would be a bit of a challenge.
    GuyWithDogs
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    iPhone 4
    I keep a lot of info for each contact, and do not want it messed up when bringing it into the Droid.
    I came from a Windows Mobile phone and had the same concerns. CompanionLink was the answer for me. I can USB sync with my standalone Outlook 2003 and the contacts came to the Droid intact and fully functional. Google does not see my contacts through GMail. I do prefer to use Google Sync for the Outlook calendar. I prefer that to be more immediate, but can easily let a wired sync handle the contacts.

clcto is the username for the CTO of CompanionLink. Do check out that linked video review of CompanionLink. They have a nice product and it just keeps getting better.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    What about the following 2 apps:

The Missing Sync For Android

HTC Hero has an app (HTC Sync) that works???

I have heard a rumor that the next version of the Android op sys will support direct sync with MS Outlook??? Anyone else heard that?
    I wouldn't use the missing sync because it cost too much money and my past experience with it showed that it did not do all the things it claimed to do.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    GS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Droidguru View Post
    Touchdown all the way.......

NitroDesk Inc. - TouchDown features

You will love it.....
    Why is everyone ignoring this post? Companion link? Touchdown, is by the far the best Outlook sync availible, Calendar, ALL mail folders, Contacts even Global addresses. I came from a BB and until I found this app I was not that impressed with the Droid as a business phone. Now my phone smokes any BB on the market, the only thing I miss is group email. I have not found a good app for that yet.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Milestone 2.0.1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpolidore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Droidguru View Post
    Touchdown all the way.......

NitroDesk Inc. - TouchDown features

You will love it.....
    Why is everyone ignoring this post? Companion link? Touchdown, is by the far the best Outlook sync availible, Calendar, ALL mail folders, Contacts even Global addresses. I came from a BB and until I found this app I was not that impressed with the Droid as a business phone. Now my phone smokes any BB on the market, the only thing I miss is group email. I have not found a good app for that yet.
    Works with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003/2007 SP1 and with most online Exchange hosting providers.
    Originally Posted by ttevogt

Because the question was about Stand alone Outlook and not Exchange.
    Last edited by tehpriest; 03-09-2010 at 09:01 AM.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Google really missed the boat on this. There are millions of small businesses who do not use an exchange server, and they have told them that they do not need to purchase a phone using their operating system.
    It's a tricky situation. They really want Android to sync wirelessly and there's not a good way to do so with a stand-alone Outlook install. You're really stuck using sync solutions like CompanionLink. I do agree, however, that it seems like quite an oversight on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWithDogs View Post
    If you're used to the sort of MS ActiveSync synchronization, you'll be disappointed.
    Really? I'm using my Droid with an Exchange account and ActiveSync (with Touchdown). Not germane to the OP, but...

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWithDogs View Post
    Some people need that ActiveSync tight coupling, and when evaluating requirements for a new phone, need to consider that.
    ActiveSync is supported. It is not, however, relevant to a Outlook without Exchange. Outlook != Exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolidore View Post
    Touchdown does not sync with Outlook (client). It syncs with Exchange (server). Again, Outlook != Exchange.
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-09-2010 at 10:01 AM.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Speaking as a mail admin, synching with a Stand alone installation of Outlook is a bit pointless. Basically what you are looking at is the old PDA in the cradle functionality. That's not what smart phones are intended for.

If you trully want to be mobile you have to have your data (no matter what it is) on an Internet facing server. Gmail provides that functionality free of charge. You don't have to use your Gmail address, you can have it pull your "other" email and get instant notification on your phone. Pretty sure you setup your Outlook to pull from Gmail too. That way you'd have the best of both worlds.

I second the call for Touchdown for Exchange by the way, it's a great app and really inexpensive.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Not what you are looking for since you run a standalone Outlook client, but for me I had to use K-9 email app for my work Outlook sync. This was the only email client that let me use secure IMAP and SSL since I work for a large company with strict security.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links