DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: App for accessing files from home computer? USB?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

App for accessing files from home computer? USB?

Is there any apps for accessing files from a home computer? Ie access my home computers files via the droid.

How about if I can plug in a usb harddrive into the droid, any chance of drivers to make that work?

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    yes to accessing your home computer, search for "phonemypc"

no to the second, the droid does not support USB hosting
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by wormywyrm View Post
    Is there any apps for accessing files from a home computer? Ie access my home computers files via the droid.
    SugarSync.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin1016 View Post
    SugarSync.
    +1 on SugarSync. Been using it for about a month and it solved a number of issues in my household; accessing computer files from the Droid being the least of them.

We have four computers in the house. My wife's laptop, my desktop, and my two laptops. (Don't ask, it's a business thing.) Over the years I've come up with various backup and file transfer strategies for each system but it's all VERY confusing.

With SugarSync I simply purchased 60 gigabytes of server storage and linked each computer to the cloud. It runs in the background on each system and instantly backs up (and tracks versions) of any file created or modified on any system. And with the SugarSync app for the Droid I can search and download (or upload) files to/from the phone to the cloud.

If you have very limited needs (i.e. 2 gigs or less) the service is free. Otherwise, it's a very reasonable annual subscription. I think mine is about $100 per year.

Although I still have backup facilities on my various systems, I no longer have to worry about a fire destroying virtually all of the family's important documents, photos, etc. And I can download music, photos, etc to my phone whenever I like.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin1016 View Post
    SugarSync.
    +1 on SugarSync. Been using it for about a month and it solved a number of issues in my household; accessing computer files from the Droid being the least of them.

We have four computers in the house. My wife's laptop, my desktop, and my two laptops. (Don't ask, it's a business thing.) Over the years I've come up with various backup and file transfer strategies for each system but it's all VERY confusing.

With SugarSync I simply purchased 60 gigabytes of server storage and linked each computer to the cloud. It runs in the background on each system and instantly backs up (and tracks versions) of any file created or modified on any system. And with the SugarSync app for the Droid I can search and download (or upload) files to/from the phone to the cloud.

If you have very limited needs (i.e. 2 gigs or less) the service is free. Otherwise, it's a very reasonable annual subscription. I think mine is about $100 per year.

Although I still have backup facilities on my various systems, I no longer have to worry about a fire destroying virtually all of the family's important documents, photos, etc. And I can download music, photos, etc to my phone whenever I like.
    Not to mention you can stream the music on your computer to your Droid. Saves lots of storage space!
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Cool I will check it out!
    Member #
    Twitter
    norwoodtech
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Ftp. Not hard
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    or, if you want to do what you mentioned, you could use ES File Explorer (EStrongs File Explorer in the market). It is exactly like Astro, but you can also connect to your home computer, and get transfer files from it to your droid via LAN or FTP

Links