DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contacts by group

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Contacts by group

I can't believe this phone doesn't allow you to place contacts into their own groups.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Multiple Contacts w/ the same name.

I am having an issue w/ contacts that have the same first/last name. These are being grouped together.

Is there anyway of avoiding this?
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by anewday View Post
    I can't believe this phone doesn't allow you to place contacts into their own groups.
    I thought there was a feature, but on second glance I could not find anything. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

Quote Originally Posted by TPJUmscheid@aol.com View Post
    I am having an issue w/ contacts that have the same first/last name. These are being grouped together.

I do not have this problem. Make sure you have both last and first names in for the contact. Other than that, I'm spent.

Droid 1: 2.0>Manual 2.0.1>OTA 2.1>Future!
    Droid X: 2.1>Future
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I've never done it but I believe the way you do this is by creating tags. Maybe someone can give more details.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    You can create groups in www.google.com/contacts. THEN go to the market and download Acontacts.

As far as the same name thing why don't you just put "Jr." or "Sr." at the very end (if it's females i guess just put "mom" at the end of one). i really don't understand how you would even know which one you're calling if you don't do this (unless you're actually clicking it open and reading the phone number which kind of defeats the purpose and you may as well just dial the number directly). Hope this helps
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Agree. Set up name a little different

Quote Originally Posted by Corinacakes View Post
    You can create groups in www.google.com/contacts. THEN go to the market and download Acontacts.

As far as the same name thing why don't you just put "Jr." or "Sr." at the very end (if it's females i guess just put "mom" at the end of one). i really don't understand how you would even know which one you're calling if you don't do this (unless you're actually clicking it open and reading the phone number which kind of defeats the purpose and you may as well just dial the number directly). Hope this helps
    I was going to suggest the same. You can do it anyway you like. use a number or a middle initial whatever.
    I even set up different accts for my GF's cell vs home because I call them so much.
    It's easier to just click once instead of opening and looking at the numbers
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by TPJUmscheid@aol.com View Post

When contacts get grouped together for whatever reason, click the contact, hit menu and choose edit contact. Hit menu again and choose separate.

I also don't understand why the phone doesn't allow you to edit a contact's group either. Why does it support filtering by group but doesn't let you edit the groups? anger. i shouldn't have to go to the web to assign a group just so i can use it on the phone. ::
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Well that's the beauty of this phone. Bare bones. I, for example, don't want groups. I gave you a solution why don't you try it Acontacts also has a grid with A-Z which i find very convenient. If you don't like that one...there's plenty more although i found this one to perform the best.
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Corinacakes View Post
    Well that's the beauty of this phone. Bare bones. I, for example, don't want groups. I gave you a solution why don't you try it Acontacts also has a grid with A-Z which i find very convenient. If you don't like that one...there's plenty more although i found this one to perform the best.
    I could care less about groups too. I would use it if it were supported better, but I don't miss it since I refuse to use it in its half-ass implementation.

My argument was more along the lines of why did Google half-ass support the feature? The OCD programmer in me really needs to understand this. Don't write an application to allow a person to filter by group, but not allow them to put contacts into groups. What kind of sense does that make, to provide a platform where the user has to go to another platform to enter data for it to work on the original? That is poor program planning and poor system integration.

For your argument, all that was created by this disconnect is the user leaving the Google platform and choosing a market app to get the functionality that was introduced but not supported fully. I would call that a BUG not a FEATURE, LOL. Or more specifically, an omission with unintended consequences.
    Last edited by jbsangel; 03-02-2010 at 08:32 AM.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    milestone
    it is common features to be able to group our contacts for easy reference.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links