DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to tell apps to use Google Voice for SMS?

Member #
    Phone
    Treo 600 -> Centro -> Droid

Question Is there a way to tell apps to use Google Voice for SMS?

I don't have SMS service on my Droid, but I do have Google Voice. I'm testing out a Geocaching app that lets you send an SMS with information about your latest find. Is there a way to "tell" apps not to use the standard SMS, but use Google Voice instead?

(and sorry, I don't have invites available)

Thanks for any info.

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Nope. There's certainly no option to do so (at the moment anyway).
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Maybe no app but you can certainly accomplish this task by signing onto your GV account through the Droids web browser.
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by cabotcat View Post
    Maybe no app but you can certainly accomplish this task by signing onto your GV account through the Droids web browser.
    But how would that allow they third party app I have to send the SMS via Google Voice?
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700 View Post
    But how would that allow they third party app I have to send the SMS via Google Voice?
    It would not allow your ap to send the SMS. I may have misunderstood your query. I was under the impression that you desired to send SMS messages without charge. If this is the case you can accomplish this task provided you have Google Voice and navigate to your account via a web browser.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    It would not allow your ap to send the SMS. I may have misunderstood your query. I was under the impression that you desired to send SMS messages without charge. If this is the case you can accomplish this task provided you have Google Voice and navigate to your account via a web browser.
    ... even then your suggestion is, well... not good... why go through your browser instead of just using the Google Voice APP?
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    ... even then your suggestion is, well... not good... why go through your browser instead of just using the Google Voice APP?
    Just trying to offer suggestions. If you have an answer for the OP by all means speak up.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Just trying to offer suggestions. If you have an answer for the OP by all means speak up.
    It was already answered in the post above yours. But there is a 'work-around' that he can try.

OP you can send 'txts' through email to phones all major carriers. So if the app you are using supports email in addition to txt you can send it to people as a txt with your email client. To try it have GV forward txts to your emails. You'll see that the email you receive has a return address that will look pretty weird (it should show the persons phone number followed by their carriers required address). To make thinks easier as people send you txts from now on just send their email-txt address to their contact. This is the method I use almost exclusively for txts (i.e. they are all handled via my email client and not the GV app).

(how's that cabotcat?)
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
    Member #
    Phone
    If there's no way to do it, no problem. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. If I get a chance I'll look up where Google Voice takes suggestions, maybe there is a way to make their app become the "default" SMS program.
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700 View Post
    If there's no way to do it, no problem. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. If I get a chance I'll look up where Google Voice takes suggestions, maybe there is a way to make their app become the "default" SMS program.
    does the Geocaching app support email? If so see above (sorry, you responded while I was typing the reply). That should work, if not you might like if for normal txting in general with GV (I don't have VZW txting either, this way you/I only have to mess with one app, that being the email client).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links