DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice Doesn't Work At All

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Moto Droid

Google Voice Doesn't Work At All

Like the title says. I got my new Droid tonight from UPS. Set up went very smooth, very impressed with Android coming from BlackBerry and iPhone.

Then I tried to set up Google Voice...I've been using it for the better part of a year now on my other phones, and it was one of the main reasons for buying this phone. During the GV setup, the app attempted to validate the phone with my GV account with an SMS text. The process failed several time.

Next, I decided to go ahead and set the phone up manually via the website. That worked, and I ran the GV setup again. This time it recognized that my droid number was on the account, and skipped past the previous problem area. Then came calling and voicemail setup. I opted to route all outgoing calls through GV. Done. I then attempted to set up voicemail by dialing the *71 number. This failed. ("call cannot be completed as dialed").

SO to get voicemail working, I again went to the website and did it manually, which seemed to work, except when I dial my voicemail from the phone I get "the google voice subscriber you have dialed is not available."

Oh, and when I make outbound calls it doesn't even attempt to use GV. It uses the droid's number.

I've tried a lot of tinkering, and uninstalling/reinstalling of GV. No dice. Any help?

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Boyle View Post
    Like the title says. I got my new Droid tonight from UPS. Set up went very smooth, very impressed with Android coming from BlackBerry and iPhone.

Then I tried to set up Google Voice...I've been using it for the better part of a year now on my other phones, and it was one of the main reasons for buying this phone. During the GV setup, the app attempted to validate the phone with my GV account with an SMS text. The process failed several time.

Next, I decided to go ahead and set the phone up manually via the website. That worked, and I ran the GV setup again. This time it recognized that my droid number was on the account, and skipped past the previous problem area. Then came calling and voicemail setup. I opted to route all outgoing calls through GV. Done. I then attempted to set up voicemail by dialing the *71 number. This failed. ("call cannot be completed as dialed").

SO to get voicemail working, I again went to the website and did it manually, which seemed to work, except when I dial my voicemail from the phone I get "the google voice subscriber you have dialed is not available."

Oh, and when I make outbound calls it doesn't even attempt to use GV. It uses the droid's number.

I've tried a lot of tinkering, and uninstalling/reinstalling of GV. No dice. Any help?

My advice? Try again later. It may be just a problem Google Voice is having and has nothing to do with the Droid.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Moto Droid
    Thank you for the quick reply. I think what I'll do then is uninstall GV and remove my droid's number from the account. Then I'll reinstall and keep trying to activate the phone through the app until it works. That should be a good indicator of whether the system is working or not.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I don't think I activated mine through the app.

...and you had the Use Google Voice option enabled in the GV app settings?
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Activating through the app has never worked for me -- ignore the app and just set it up the way you would if you were never interested in checking your voicemail from your phone. Then install the app.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Incredible Droid
    you should be dialing *71XXX-XXX-XXXX where X is your google voice number
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    I don't think I activated mine through the app.

...and you had the Use Google Voice option enabled in the GV app settings?
    Yes, it was enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by kwmayo View Post
    Activating through the app has never worked for me -- ignore the app and just set it up the way you would if you were never interested in checking your voicemail from your phone. Then install the app.
    Like I said, I tried setting the phone up first through the web site. Even if I skip the voicemail set up and ignore that whole part, the phone still does not use google voice when dialing out.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

dumb question

here is a question i must ask... have you been invited to google voice yet?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by becominglumberg View Post
    here is a question i must ask... Have you been invited to google voice yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick boyle View Post
    ...i've been using it for the better part of a year now on my other phones, and it was one of the main reasons for buying this phone. Help?

11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    ah, right. well, here is what i noticed, when i set it up on my droid... when i used the number provided in the gvoice app on the phone, it didnt work (and froze my phone once). when i set up my phone from the gvoice site, it gave me a different number to enter, which worked. i don't know why, but i can't complain.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links