DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Launcher 8

  1. Droid Newbie
    sandiegodave's Avatar
    Member #
    17885
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4
    #1

    Launcher 8

    Is this a safe app to use? It is a windows phone 8 overlay that looks awesome but It has numerous permissions that could jeopardize your contacts, information and many other things. Does anyone feel this way? Otherwise I'd love to install it.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Administrator
    smalltowngirl13's Avatar
    Member #
    25668
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6,378
    Liked
    677 times
    Twitter
    @smalltownlife13
    Phone
    Note2, Maxx HD, S3, Nexus
    Premium Member
    #2
    It has been used by many and our admin CK even did a video review...

    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-2-higher.html
    pc747 likes this.
    **Be yourself - Everyone else is already taken**

  4. Droid
    eebvending's Avatar
    Member #
    31877
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    83
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    #3
    Have it.

    Using it.

    Really like it.

    My guess the permissions that pertain to Contacts have to do with the live tile for Contacts. It displays their pic randomly in different squares within the tile and cycles through all of your contacts.
  5. Droid Newbie
    sandiegodave's Avatar
    Member #
    17885
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4
    #4
    I understand part of the contacts issue but to allow it to change or delete contacts and change dialed phone numbers concerns me. Seems a treasure trove of users' info is available to them to use in any way they desire. The info to which they have access could hold usernames and logins plus passwords, etc. The Droid Forums person who reviewed it never touched on the permission s aspect. I did view his review. In looking over my installed apps, none require anywhere near the amount of permissions that this one does. Just sayin'...
  6. Junior Droid
    objektor's Avatar
    Member #
    321884
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Phone
    Nokia
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sandiegodave View Post
    I understand part of the contacts issue but to allow it to change or delete contacts and change dialed phone numbers concerns me. Seems a treasure trove of users' info is available to them to use in any way they desire. The info to which they have access could hold usernames and logins plus passwords, etc. The Droid Forums person who reviewed it never touched on the permission s aspect. I did view his review. In looking over my installed apps, none require anywhere near the amount of permissions that this one does. Just sayin'...
    Same here. New to android and saw this app. Looks great but the permissions just seems unreasonable to me. It even allows the app to make calls without my aproval!!?? Is this even possible? If so: this could be a very expensive app! Anyone who has experienced this?
    To sandiegodave: did you install the app? Pleased?
  7. RS Admin
    jstafford1's Avatar
    Member #
    4777
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hebron, Oh.
    Posts
    9,060
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    #6

    Re: Launcher 8

    How would you change a contact in the app if it doesnt have permission to do it??

    Some of these permissions are so the app can function on its own the way it was intended. If it didnt it would just be an overlay of shortcuts.

    Sent from Democles Base.
  8. Droid Newbie
    sandiegodave's Avatar
    Member #
    17885
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4
    #7

    Concerns regarding Launcher 8 permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by objektor View Post
    Same here. New to android and saw this app. Looks great but the permissions just seems unreasonable to me. It even allows the app to make calls without my aproval!!?? Is this even possible? If so: this could be a very expensive app! Anyone who has experienced this?
    To sandiegodave: did you install the app? Pleased?
    No, Objektor, I didn't install it nor do I intend to. According to very recent articles, the biggest threat to Android's "Open Source" operating system is Asia. Thugs over there have targeted Android. Android is easy for them to hack and manipulate. Apps in the "App Store" are trusted until they screw up, then they get banished from the store. However, imagine how much damage they could inflict before they are kicked out. On the other hand, the Iphone and Windows Mobile operating systems are very secure compared to Android, hence the thieves focusing on Android. A SMS trojan virus has done an incredible amount of damage, costing users HUGE expenses: Android Under Attack: Malware Levels for Google's OS Rise Threefold in Q2 2012 . I won't be fooled by some slick looking app that requires unreasonable permissions. What could possible be the purpose of the app placing phone calls from your phone??? Imagine the costs to you if that "permission" evolves into something akin to the SMS virus attack? Give it a little time and I think we'll have the answer to that question. However, all that nonsense will not dissuade me from continuing to use Android phones nor will it cause me to buy an Iphone or Windows phone. I switched to Android after I got fed up with the Windows Mobile OS when 6.5 was released. What a piece of underachievement that "upgrade" was! Prior to that I was a devout Windows Mobile user going all the way back to my first HP Ipaq pocket PC, before smartphones were invented. By the way, if my link to the SMS article gets scrubbed from my reply, go to a browser and type in: Android Under Attack and you'll find it. Please read that article and other related articles but most importantly, be careful what apps you install!
    Last edited by sandiegodave; 01-01-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: misspelled Launcher in title
  9. Junior Droid
    objektor's Avatar
    Member #
    321884
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Phone
    Nokia
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    How would you change a contact in the app if it doesnt have permission to do it??

    Some of these permissions are so the app can function on its own the way it was intended. If it didnt it would just be an overlay of shortcuts.

    Sent from Democles Base.
    An overlay of shortcuts. That's what I thought it was. It isn't running wp8 is it? It's using the apps on my phone as they are with the same layout, I presume. So it doesn't have to change a contact f.e. and hence no permission to do so either. Maybe I'm just not getting it, so please explain.
  10. Junior Droid
    objektor's Avatar
    Member #
    321884
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Phone
    Nokia
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sandiegodave View Post
    No, Objektor, I didn't install it nor do I intend to. According to very recent articles, the biggest threat to Android's "Open Source" operating system is Asia. Thugs over there have targeted Android. Android is easy for them to hack and manipulate. Apps in the "App Store" are trusted until they screw up, then they get banished from the store. However, imagine how much damage they could inflict before they are kicked out. On the other hand, the Iphone and Windows Mobile operating systems are very secure compared to Android, hence the thieves focusing on Android. A SMS trojan virus has done an incredible amount of damage, costing users HUGE expenses: Android Under Attack: Malware Levels for Google's OS Rise Threefold in Q2 2012 . I won't be fooled by some slick looking app that requires unreasonable permissions. What could possible be the purpose of the app placing phone calls from your phone??? Imagine the costs to you if that "permission" evolves into something akin to the SMS virus attack? Give it a little time and I think we'll have the answer to that question. However, all that nonsense will not dissuade me from continuing to use Android phones nor will it cause me to buy an Iphone or Windows phone. I switched to Android after I got fed up with the Windows Mobile OS when 6.5 was released. What a piece of underachievement that "upgrade" was! Prior to that I was a devout Windows Mobile user going all the way back to my first HP Ipaq pocket PC, before smartphones were invented. By the way, if my link to the SMS article gets scrubbed from my reply, go to a browser and type in: Android Under Attack and you'll find it. Please read that article and other related articles but most importantly, be careful what apps you install!
    Thanks for your informative reply. It's amazing to me that so many people have installed the app ( according to the reviews) and happy with it and almost no complaints or even questions about the permissions. But I have to admit: no stories about phones being hijacked by the app either resulting in enormous phonebills. Just a matter of time maybe? Anyway, I will try to do some more 'research' before even considering to install the app, no matter how nice it looks.
    I'm still on iOS (ipad1, no problems) but need a new phone since my nokia n71 died after 6 years. Not totally against iPhone but restrictions, policy and price do not attract me. WP8 looks pretty nice, more acustomable, logical with the hubs, secure ( for what it's worth), expendable memory, removable battery and a few more phones to choose from. I know Nokia is almost down and out but I have to admit that I was pleased with my old one lasting for 6 years!
    So WP8 or not WP8 (thus android), that's the question. Any more advice/ views are welcome.
  11. RS Admin
    jstafford1's Avatar
    Member #
    4777
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hebron, Oh.
    Posts
    9,060
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    #10

    Re: Launcher 8

    Quote Originally Posted by objektor View Post
    An overlay of shortcuts. That's what I thought it was. It isn't running wp8 is it? It's using the apps on my phone as they are with the same layout, I presume. So it doesn't have to change a contact f.e. and hence no permission to do so either. Maybe I'm just not getting it, so please explain.
    Its not just an overlay. Its an app that you can make calls from, you can have direct dial tiles, so it would need to access you contacts for that and be able to access the phone. Just like it has live tiles for email, so it needs access to your email. Just because an app needs access to certain functions of the phone doesn't make it malicious. You have to look at what is is doing and what its intended for. You can always email the dev to inquire about permissions.

    This subject has bee broached before. Someone wonders why an app needs "x" permissions, but when you look at what its doing it in fact does need those permissions to do what the app is supposed to do.
    Home replacements need a lot of permissions because they "replace" your current home app, which has many permissions. They are not overlays, but fully functioning apps on their own.

    Sent from Democles Base.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 07:57 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 09:48 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM
  4. Import home screens into launcher pro or adw launcher
    By joshtb86 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-19-2010, 11:57 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Search tags for this page

how to use launcher 8
,
is launcher 8 safe
,

launcher 8

,
launcher 8 android review
,
launcher 8 permissions
,

launcher 8 review

,
launcher 8 reviews
,
launcher 8 tips
,
launcher8
,
launcher8 review
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+